Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic trans can be shifted manually, correct?

Registered Member

'16 Chevy Equinox 3.6 AWD, 2017 VW GTI

Automatic trans can be shifted manually, correct?

I know that the 2019 CX5 Turbo doesn't have paddle shifters (I wish it did) , but it could be shifted manually with the gear lever, correct? Being able to start up from a standstill in 2nd gear when in snow might be helpful. That 310 lb./ft. of torque is very appealing to me. Unless it's snowing. The intelligent AWD system is probably smart enough to limit torque, but it still might be nice to start in 2nd sometimes.

Thanks for any input.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX5 GT AWD (Eternal Blue) w/ premium package

Yes you can shift manually, but in the snow and ice the AWD does a great job by itself.

Within reason though. If you do anything that may harm the tranny it will revert to auto. Because of this, I don't think you can come to a stop and remain in any other gear other then 1. If you're in Man mode it will drop to 1 when you stop.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Within reason though. If you do anything that may harm the tranny it will revert to auto. Because of this, I don't think you can come to a stop and remain in any other gear other then 1. If you're in Man mode it will drop to 1 when you stop.
    That is my experience, as well. My LT1 Trans Am was an automatic, and had a "start in 2nd" option for low traction surfaces. I thought it would be kindof cool, but with today's better traction control systems, superfluous.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

When you are at a stop, and not moving, I think the system will automatically put you in 1st gear. I don't know if the system will let you shift up to 2 without first getting the car moving.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    When you are at a stop, and not moving, I think the system will automatically put you in 1st gear. I don't know if the system will let you shift up to 2 without first getting the car moving.
    I agree. I would think that they all would drop you into 1st when stopped. But I could shift my Veloster into 2nd while standing still as well as doing so in my current Equinox. Maybe someone could try it out for me with the Mazda.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech

Yes, defaults to 1st at stop in manual mode, but yes you can shift to 2nd while stopped- I do it all the time...disclaimer- 2.5 OG MY- but I highly doubt that's changed, same for the back to upshift, forward to downshift orientation.. thankfully- if it was opposite as many are I'd use it almost never.
    Last edited by Monterra; 02-12-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- more powa
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- Awesome- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one but gremlins
    +good house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast enough and still did donuts, e-steering wouldn't let me love it
    2019 Hyundai Veloster N? - Yep..its good

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    I don't know of any other autos that WILL let you harm them via user error though..you?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Yes it will. At least my 2014 will. Pop into manual mode next time you are at a complete stop, it will let you shift it up to 2.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 78k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    I don't know of any other autos that WILL let you harm them via user error though..you?
    I do not. Way too much of a liability for the company.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Something we should all know. From the manual:

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Something we should all know. From the manual:
    Very good. Thank you.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by wbw View Post
    Very good. Thank you.
    My pleasure.

Brilliant Shado.

Although I thought you really only need to do this if you a) don't have AWD or b) had a car with some serious FWD power.

CX-5 2017 GT AWD

I have been driving my 2017 CX5 Manual mode except on slow moving traffic. Better control with acceleration and snow. More fun when you are on the twisties so much different when driving on auto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast