Hyundai Santa fe?

Robertscz

:
Cruze
Just starting to take a look at some of the 2019 suv's, many are redesigned and updated this year including the cx5 and the Santa fe.. Looking for a turbo, already did a test drive in the cx5 gtr and really did enjoy most everything about it. Few things that I could gripe about are the infotainment screen, the back seat leg room, and lack of panaramic sunroof.

First, do we think that Mazda has plans to include the new 8.8" infotainment screen that's in the new Mazda 3 will be included in the cx5 for the 2020 year? Any chance a panaramic sunroof could be done as well? Back seat is most likely the back seat until a redisign which probably won't happen for a few years.

Secondly, I plan to go drive the new Santa fe with the turbo in the "ultimate" trim... It has a larger infotainment screen, Pana sunroof and more backseat room.... As well as a fantastic warranty... BUT is it fun to drive? Quality of interior? Has anyone taken a look at these and what were your thoughts?

Appreciate the responses, I boight my wife a '17 miata a year ago and we absolutely love it so far!!!

Last edited:
I can't answer most of your questions, but from the reviews that I've read or seen on video, the CX5 is the 'drivers car' of small SUVs. I doubt that the Santa Fe will feel as rewarding as the CX5. I'm not putting down the Santa Fe. My wife had an '09 that we kept through '15 and we never had any trouble with it. She loved it. But it wasn't a 'drivers car' and I doubt that the new one will be either when compared with the CX5.

Well, I looked at the Santa Fe and knew the Hyundai GM very well, we had bought cars from this dealership before. I drove the Santa Fe twice, and enjoyed it with it's amenities, then I drove a Mazda CX-9, tremendous difference in the interior and driving it as well Zoom, Zoom. After three months of CX-9 ownership, I still enjoy driving this vehicle. My wife wasn't wowed by the Santa Fe, but was wowed by the CX-9 Signature, paid ~13% below MSRP. Sold... I get compliments all the time with this vehicle. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
The Santa-Fe is a terrific vehicle, but drives more like a mini-van than a sporty SUV. It has all the bells and whistles, but doesn't feel as "premium" as the CX-5, espcially in the GTR or Sig versions.

We were very close to purchasing a 2.0 Ultimate Sante Fe in December. It is noticeably larger than the CX-5. It has more features, and better infotainment. It even plays FLAC files! Our decision was down to the CX-5 Sig and this Sante Fe Ultimate. The main reason we didn't go with the Hyundai, was the dealer's sales tactics. I discussed this in an earlier thread.

While the Santa Fe is peppy, it's not in the same class as the CX-5 turbos. If there were no turbos in the CX-5, we probably would have found a different Hyundai dealer.

Thanks for the responses to all!! I can wait another year, my current car is running just fine, do we think that the '20 cx5 will include the new infotainment? Or are we all in the dark till its announced by Mazda?

So the concensus on the Santa fe is all good minus the turbo lag? Any other opinions on this? Thanks again!

Well I've never driven the turbo CX5 so can't comment there. So far on my 18 NA CX5 it's great. I can only imagine the fun of the turbo since I think mine is a blast.

Now I did own a 2014 Santa Fe Turbo 2.0. I loved how many features it came with at the price point and of course the 10 warranty on the engine (including the turbo). For me, unfortunately, it was in the shop twice the first year due to the turbo going out. The tech stated something about the wastegate getting out of spec and needing readjustment. He said it was common in their turbo but an easy fix. For me, it was not that easy. It is very unnerving to have the turbo go out. I remember exactly where I was both times it happened. The engine Revs almost to max with very little power output. Luckily, I was safe both times but I would not have been so lucky if it were in an intersection.

Of course, that's just my story and I am sure many others did not have the issue (unless you believe the tech who said it was common). I would go to their forum and see what the common issues are (If you haven't already). For me, yes it's a great warranty but I'd rather have a vehicle that has a standard warranty but is rarely in the shop. After one year of ownership, I was through.

Thanks for the responses to all!! I can wait another year, my current car is running just fine, do we think that the '20 cx5 will include the new infotainment? Or are we all in the dark till its announced by Mazda?

So the concensus on the Santa fe is all good minus the turbo lag? Any other opinions on this? Thanks again!

You never know. The Mazda 3 has a completely new infotainment system and they may wait till 2021 to implement it into the CX-5. I don't think we will see a pano roof in a Mazda, ever. The closest thing would be a Miata.

We were very close to purchasing a 2.0 Ultimate Sante Fe in December. It is noticeably larger than the CX-5. It has more features, and better infotainment. It even plays FLAC files! Our decision was down to the CX-5 Sig and this Sante Fe Ultimate. The main reason we didn't go with the Hyundai, was the dealer's sales tactics. I discussed this in an earlier thread.

While the Santa Fe is peppy, it's not in the same class as the CX-5 turbos. If there were no turbos in the CX-5, we probably would have found a different Hyundai dealer.

I could have wrote the exact same thing.

Finding a Hyundai dealer that wasn't a dirtbag was pretty hard and that pretty sad. They are behind their competitors on this front for sure. We were settled on the Santa Fe 100%. Thankfully their incompetence forced us to keep looking and we tried out the CX5. SOLD.

Loved the Santa Fe. Great space, amazing rear legroom and width, ergos, quality of materials....amazing pano roof. However it is a pretty numb driving experience, lots of throttle delay more so than lag. And the gauges on the ultimate looks gimmicky and awkward. Funny though with both the Santa Fe and the RAV the top trim have horrible gauges but the rest of the line up have beautiful, functional gauges that I would have preferred way more.

i have owned the previous gen santa fe turbo.
Great car, engine had good pep, liked all the features ie (pano roof)
but i enjoy driving the mazda a lot more.
Maybe the driving dynamics have been improved on the new gen Santa Fe, but it was pretty soft and handling was not it's forte.

A new cx-5 won't be out till at least 2021, maybe a mid cycle refresh version might be out next year?,
but some reviewers think that this current model of the CX-5 is the mid cycle refresh with new electronic center display gauge, and available turbo.
For me the Cx-5 sig has everything i want in the car minus the older infotainment system that's been around for 5 plus years.
I plan on picking up the cx-5 sig but waiting to see what the new suv mazda is debuting in Geneva at march, If this new suv is bigger or comparable to the cx-5, i might just have to get that car instead ;)

I would be totally happy with the current infotainment system if the damned thing would boot up more quickly. I can be a mile down the road before it's ready for any inputs. Longer for Carplay to activate.

You never know. The Mazda 3 has a completely new infotainment system and they may wait till 2021 to implement it into the CX-5. I don't think we will see a pano roof in a Mazda, ever. The closest thing would be a Miata.

I think there's a 0% chance Mazda leaves the CX-5 infotainment system as-is for 2020. It's already glaringly behind the competitors and Mazda seems very receptive to customer feedback. If they were willing to fit the turbo in the CX-5 this year, they can surely tweak the dash to fit the Mazda3 screen next year. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was their intention for the 2019 Signature trim but they missed deadlines.

I think we'll see a pano roof -- or at least a more generous sunroof -- in the next-gen CX-5. The current "hole in the roof" design looks very 1990 and they're supposed to be trending toward a premium brand.

I think there's a 0% chance Mazda leaves the CX-5 infotainment system as-is for 2020. It's already glaringly behind the competitors and Mazda seems very receptive to customer feedback. If they were willing to fit the turbo in the CX-5 this year, they can surely tweak the dash to fit the Mazda3 screen next year. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was their intention for the 2019 Signature trim but they missed deadlines.

I think we'll see a pano roof -- or at least a more generous sunroof -- in the next-gen CX-5. The current "hole in the roof" design looks very 1990 and they're supposed to be trending toward a premium brand.

I would agree with this based on the fact that Mazda already has the bigger infotainment system out in the 3, I would imagine that they would throw it in most of their vehicles for the '20 model year....

On backroom space in the CX-5. It is the same as a Mazda 3 minus the tall interior space. I am 5 10 and 205 lbs. I got stuck between two car seats in rear. The armrest eats up a lot of rear space and the tunnel on the floor is huge. If rear space is important spend time there with or without a Car seat. I would be in a 3 row with 3 kids, with only 2 and no plans on more - CX5 is it but rear space sucks till kids can sit fwd facing on their own.

as much as i would want an updated system to be offered, unless the model is due for a mid cycle refresh or next generation model,
i do not think a new infotainment system will be offered.

I would agree with this based on the fact that Mazda already has the bigger infotainment system out in the 3, I would imagine that they would throw it in most of their vehicles for the '20 model year....

I used to have a 2012 Sonata and CX5 handles better than the Sonata. Hyundai doesn't know how to build "cars". Mazda knows the driving dynamics better than any other company.

tough choice because the new santa fe is really really nice but mazda is more fun to drive I think, especially with the turbo engine.
the warranty on the hyundai is also a plus.
It all comes to what you like. Drive both and decide.

Maybe spend some time here on a Hyundai forum. My experience with Hyundai a few years back left a bad taste. Warranty work consists, or used to in past years, of replacing bad parts with the same bad parts. The warranty is only good if Hyundai doesn't deem the problem as normal wear and tear, seems normal of any car manufacturer but in my experience Hyundai seemed to treat weird problems that weren't easily repairable as normal. Oh, and that great long warranty...you'd be hard pressed to find someone who got warranty work on the higher end of the mileage scale.
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/santa-fe-forums-please-post-correct-sub-forum-year-your-vehicle/

Back