Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

I grew up working on a farm in Kentucky. I was the kid on a tractor with wagons hauling hay from one farm to another. One stop light in town and the cop just waved at me and other farm kids driving farm trucks. When I go back to Kentucky to visit family I about to have an anxiety attack sitting behind a tractor. People are waving at each other all friendly. Over 30 years in this city and I have forgotten what that is like. Maybe some day I can return to this, but my dream would be in a bungalow just off the beach looking at the ocean and riding a bike to the grocery store when needed. If that dream came true I won't even be on a car forum.

My Dream Spot

We moved to Northern Virginia in 1963 (I was 9 years old). In the late 70s, I ended up buying a home in that same neighborhood...a house I used to deliver newspapers to. I moved to this rural area (about 100 miles south) in 2010. I kept my Northern Virginia job & telecommuted.

I was here one week before they jerked my leash to drive back up for meetings. I got within 20 miles of where I lived for nearly 50 years, and my first thought was "I can't wait to get back home!" And "home" was my country place of exactly one week. And Northern Virginia became "that place." It happened that quickly.

Trust me, you'll adapt. And you'll never want to go back.

As an aside, I worked for a non-profit for 7 years before they shut down (I was Treasurer). We did home repairs in this county and an adjoining one for folks who could not afford to pay for them. I worked in nearly 40 homes during that time. I've been in old homes with 6 1/2 foot ceilings on land that was ceded to freed slaves. Nothing like repairing ceilings without needing a ladder. I've met some really, really nice people that I would never have otherwise encountered.

I don't mind the tractors and the occasional slow-poke in front of me. It's all part of the community.

Regarding your dream spot: Years ago I used to commute to work on my bike. I worked in Rosslyn, VA just across the river from DC. It was 12 miles each way. I also belonged to a local bike group and we would do day and weekend trips. Good times. I still have my Motobecane Super Mirage I bought brand new all those years ago.

Some of us are just more aggressive drivers and need more power.

Some of us are just more aggressive drivers and want more power.

And some of us are in more of a hurry than others.

Nothing wrong with any of that as long as we don't cause a wreck.

Some of us drive in heavy stop/go traffic. Your token 0-60 in 15 second beater to super quick Teslas and everything in between doing 10mph only to arrive at a place we don't want to be at called the Office.

Some of us drive in heavy stop/go traffic. Your token 0-60 in 15 second beater to super quick Teslas and everything in between doing 10mph only to arrive at a place we don't want to be at called the Office.

Yeah, that always sucks. But I think they were talking about passing on a 2 lane....

I lived outside of DC for most of my life. If I still lived there, the turbo would have been a complete waste of money.

I wanted to do volunteer work with a group that met at 7PM on a Tuesday evening 10 miles up the road. Sometimes the drive would take an hour. Sometimes the drive would take 2 hours...to go 10 miles. And weekends are not much better.

Yeah, that always sucks. But I think they were talking about passing on a 2 lane....

Well now it makes me wonder. Whats the average 0-60 time for all cars on the street? Interesting discussion here https://www.quora.com/What-is-an-above-average-0-60-time-for-a-car

I lived outside of DC for most of my life. If I still lived there, the turbo would have been a complete waste of money.

I wanted to do volunteer work with a group that met at 7PM on a Tuesday evening 10 miles up the road. Sometimes the drive would take an hour. Sometimes the drive would take 2 hours...to go 10 miles. And weekends are not much better.

Longer commute times are trending in each metro area. People living in suburbs trying to get into the city. That said, the CX-5 is an excellent city driving choice for its driving dynamics, smaller SUV size, and higher visibility.

Both! Me too.

Now if we could eliminate all the other drivers and the cops....

:) When I am driving with my wife she prefers there be heavy traffic because it slows me down. I feel like I am driving calmly for her sake and she seems terrified (been that way for 20 years and yet she always wants me to drive). I think she is happy when Waze is showing a line of police on the interstate. Touch wood....I have a clean driving record. Now on the bike I have been severely hurt several times. That is where I take the most risk and get hurt the worst. Not to mention the cars that try to hit me for sport. :)

Same way here. I punch it with my CX-5 every day, never a disappointment. :)
Don't get me wrong I am very satisfied in many ways with the CX-5 as it is and will likely hang on to it for another couple years. I think the 2.5T would be just about right for me in city traffic.

I still have my Motobecane Super Mirage I bought brand new all those years ago.
Glad you are hanging on to that Mirage. You may want to get that back out on the road some day.

Never :)
I love to go fast or I hate to go slow. Not sure which it is.

I never had an issue with speeding until I got this car...but it insists on having its limits tested.

Not my fault, Your Honor. Zoom-Zoom. The defense rests.

Same way here. I punch it with my CX-5 every day, never a disappointment. :)

Love the way the CX-5 launches. Feel the zoom zoom!

I have my transmission trained so that I dont even need Sport mode. Runs to the redline automatically for a few gears when I punch it off the line.

Love the way the CX-5 launches. Feel the zoom zoom!

I have my transmission trained so that I dont even need Sport mode. Runs to the redline automatically for a few gears when I punch it off the line.
I don't even have a sport mode. It's trained well.

:) When I am driving with my wife she prefers there be heavy traffic because it slows me down. I feel like I am driving calmly for her sake and she seems terrified (been that way for 20 years and yet she always wants me to drive). I think she is happy when Waze is showing a line of police on the interstate. Touch wood....I have a clean driving record. Now on the bike I have been severely hurt several times. That is where I take the most risk and get hurt the worst. Not to mention the cars that try to hit me for sport. :)

My wife hates my driving, too. Far too aggressive. She does not understand that driving is FUN. And faster is funner. But she hates my back seat driving even more, because I can't stand her timidity.

Sadly, heavy traffic just makes me more aggressive. That's why I stay as far away from it as I can. I'm lucky that I can.

Sport mode still doesn't make it faster, even though I have it now, lol

He's right, you know. All it does is hold gears longer. WOT in standard mode is just as quick as sport mode. Try it.

My wife hates my driving, too. Far too aggressive. She does not understand that driving is FUN.

Gwetting thrown around in the shot gun seat is not fun for her (or anybody else sitting next to you). Why not confine your aggressive-fast driving to when you are alone ?

My wife hates my driving, too. Far too aggressive. She does not understand that driving is FUN. And faster is funner. But she hates my back seat driving even more, because I can't stand her timidity.

Sadly, heavy traffic just makes me more aggressive. That's why I stay as far away from it as I can. I'm lucky that I can.
I'm the opposite when it comes to heavy traffic. I lose all aggressiveness, its not going anywhere, whats the point.

Gwetting thrown around in the shot gun seat is not fun for her (or anybody else sitting next to you). Why not confine your aggressive-fast driving to when you are alone ?

I do. I'm never that aggressive when she's in the car. She would puke. It's mostly passing when she'd be afraid to that she hates. And going as fast as I can in a straight line without attracting cops.

I'm the opposite when it comes to heavy traffic. I lose all aggressiveness, its not going anywhere, whats the point.

You're right. It's a definite personality defect. I learned to drive in NYC and Boston. Not an excuse, just an explanation. If you want to proceed there, you've got to MOVE.

Then again, nowadays heavy traffic to me is being able to see other cars on the road. I had my very first stop and go experience [after a year and a half with this car] the other day with MRCC, and I was ecstatic at how wonderfully it works. THAT is really calming.

You're right. It's a definite personality defect. I learned to drive in NYC and Boston. Not an excuse, just an explanation. If you want to proceed there, you've got to MOVE.

Totally get it. Growing up out here people were just largely friendly drivers, let people in, not a lot of aggression, etc.

Way less true these days, but still a lot of us like that.

Outside of the heavy traffic though I am totally a spirited driver.

Back