Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

Thank you for the advice. A discussion point I had is how often do we need passing power and how much is enough. There are times we require to pass someone on back roads, but if I could do it in a Insight or Elantra then I should be good with a NA CX 5.

I found it wasn't enough, personally. Many times I had to hang back because of it.

Buy a CX-5 GT, which has great handling and plenty of power for a vehicle of its size/weight. Really a well balanced , great driving compact SUV.
I've been driving a CX-5's for going on 5 years in a city with steep hills as well as very congested freeway's, not once have I desired "more power" and, or, a turbo.
Regarding the Rav 4, my opinion is that its drive characteristics are heavy and sluggish, not at all nimble and fun to drive like a CX-5.
Really? Have you read this recent discussion?

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

If I really want a new 2019 CX-5, I may have to pick 2.5T between 2 engine choices as I simply don't want the cylinder deactivation, although I personally don't want the turbo either. But then:

Turbo: nobody home?

I guess this post said the best:

So the two engine choices for the 2019 are NA with CD that sometimes craps out OR a turbo that sometimes craps out. WTF, Mazda?
Glad I got a 17, for now anyway.

BTW, I did test-drive a 2019 Toyota RAV4 LE and it definitely is not heavy and sluggish like you described. New 203hp naturally asperated 2.5L and 8-speed transmission have helped. It has more horsepower than CX-5 GT and better MPG than CX-5, with better reliability reputation to boot. And new RAV4 Hybrid offers more power at 219 net hp and 40 combined MPG, with sport-tuned suspension on XSE Hybrid.

Last edited:
The Rav4 does have 18 or so more hp than the NA CX-5 but its about the same speed 0-60 and with lessor driving dynamics. I'd rather get a used Rav4 hybrid over a new Rav4 though.

While I frequently read the threads on here, I rarely comment, but I had to comment reading how dramatic and overblown some people are on here about the 2.5 NA skyactiv engine not having enough passing power. I drive the original 13 model with the 2.0 engine and I've never had an issue with passing in auto, and with how good the manual mode is, as it allows you to take every gear to redline, there is never any situation I've been in where I didn't have enough passing power, and my commute everyday is all highway at 70+ mph. With how slow most people around my area are driving and reacting to things, I routinely blow past more cars on my way to work and home, then cars blow past me because of my 2.0 engines acceleration times.

I cross shopped for the Rav4, CRV and RDX . I like everything about the Lunar rock colored Rav 4 EXCEPT the actual drive of it! Pretty big dissapointment. I test drove the adventure with awd and it was extremely mediocre. I cant say anything about the new hybrid though because iI havent test driven it. But, I love my new '19 snowflake white CX-5 GTR and its 2.5t engine!

While I frequently read the threads on here, I rarely comment, but I had to comment reading how dramatic and overblown some people are on here about the 2.5 NA skyactiv engine not having enough passing power. I drive the original 13 model with the 2.0 engine and I've never had an issue with passing in auto, and with how good the manual mode is, as it allows you to take every gear to redline, there is never any situation I've been in where I didn't have enough passing power, and my commute everyday is all highway at 70+ mph. With how slow most people around my area are driving and reacting to things, I routinely blow past more cars on my way to work and home, then cars blow past me because of my 2.0 engines acceleration times.

I guess. I just know I've been unable to pass multiple times when a stouter car coulda done it with ease in my 2015 2.5NA. Part of what I disliked about it.

I guess. I just know I've been unable to pass multiple times when a stouter car coulda done it with ease in my 2015 2.5NA. Part of what I disliked about it.

Daily driving in Atlanta traffic with the CX-5 2.5NA I often have an "O crap" moment pulling out into a lane with fast on coming cars and it not have enough responsive power or trying to merge into interstate traffic in the daily commute when the oncoming cars intentionally and quickly close the gap you planned to get into to cut you off. Every week there is a moment when I wish I was in a Porsche GT2R, but I think the CX-5T will be enough. My wife's 2018 Civic 1.5T with a CVT is consistently a better performer than my CX-5.

As mentioned before on other posts, if I could get my wife to agree I would not hesitate to get the Porsche Macan S slightly used. I often see them in my region for about $43K. Because my wife probably will not agree to let me get anything with a Porsche badge and probably not even the upcoming 2020 Mercedes GLC-300, I will probably end up with another CX-5. Other than its craptastic paint that is about one notch above plastidip the CX-5 seems to be a good value among all other cars.

Daily driving in Atlanta traffic with the CX-5 2.5NA I often have an "O crap" moment pulling out into a lane with fast on coming cars and it not have enough responsive power or trying to merge into interstate traffic in the daily commute

I do that all the time, and I have literally never had this issue.

Daily driving in Atlanta traffic with the CX-5 2.5NA I often have an "O crap" moment pulling out into a lane with fast on coming cars and it not have enough responsive power or trying to merge into interstate traffic in the daily commute when the oncoming cars intentionally and quickly close the gap you planned to get into to cut you off. Every week there is a moment when I wish I was in a Porsche GT2R, but I think the CX-5T will be enough. My wife's 2018 Civic 1.5T with a CVT is consistently a better performer than my CX-5.

As mentioned before on other posts, if I could get my wife to agree I would not hesitate to get the Porsche Macan S slightly used. I often see them in my region for about $43K. Because my wife probably will not agree to let me get anything with a Porsche badge and probably not even the upcoming 2020 Mercedes GLC-300, I will probably end up with another CX-5. Other than its craptastic paint that is about one notch above plastidip the CX-5 seems to be a good value among all other cars.

I've been to Atlanta a few times, but it's been a while. What do they call that highway that circles the city...the perimeter? The loop?

Anywhere you went, the people were just laid back southerners, friendly and open as the day is long.
But get them on the perimeter and it's Jekyll & Hyde. They tailgate at 90MPH.

I recall reading an article where the police stopped pulling over speeders because it was too dangerous for all parties. No wonder you want a Porsche when trying to merge onto that thing. I'd want a rocket and a Bible.

I could never figure out where those people came from...they were so laid back in person.

I've been to Atlanta a few times, but it's been a while. What do they call that highway that circles the city...the perimeter? The loop?

Anywhere you went, the people were just laid back southerners, friendly and open as the day is long.
But get them on the perimeter and it's Jekyll & Hyde. They tailgate at 90MPH.

I recall reading an article where the police stopped pulling over speeders because it was too dangerous for all parties. No wonder you want a Porsche when trying to merge onto that thing. I'd want a rocket and a Bible.

I could never figure out where those people came from...they were so laid back in person.

:) you have described it well. The Perimeter Loop / I-285 used to be the only place that was pure mayhem. Now it is all over the city.

I have passed state troopers in a line of cars going over 80 mph in a 55 mph speed limit. I've sat side by side with local police at 20 mph over the speed limit. On side roads coming out of my office it is 45 and cars and semi trucks are going over 60 mph. When the light turns green you have to hesitate a second because at least 5 cars are going to blow through the red light. The yellow light is meaningless. Actually yellow means floor it. Red means consider braking a little if you checked for cops.

I say this all in good humor because it is not always like this, but a lot of what I said is everyday business. I've had several Prius go by me like I was sitting still so even the tree huggers get uppity in this traffic. Even the gun haters will pull a gun on you. :)

:) you have described it well. The Perimeter Loop / I-285 used to be the only place that was pure mayhem. Now it is all over the city.

I have passed state troopers in a line of cars going over 80 mph in a 55 mph speed limit. I've sat side by side with local police at 20 mph over the speed limit. On side roads coming out of my office it is 45 and cars and semi trucks are going over 60 mph. When the light turns green you have to hesitate a second because at least 5 cars are going to blow through the red light. The yellow light is meaningless. Actually yellow means floor it. Red means consider braking a little if you checked for cops.

I say this all in good humor because it is not always like this, but a lot of what I said is everyday business. I've had several Prius go by me like I was sitting still so even the tree huggers get uppity in this traffic. Even the gun haters will pull a gun on you. :)

But...but...but...well, bless your hearts!

Last time I was there was in the mid 1990s. I love the Buckhead district. In fact, I think Elton John had a place there.

I grew up outside of DC. We moved there the year the Beltway opened up. I know what you mean when you say "It was not always like this." But DC is the opposite end of the spectrum...5 MPH then stop. 5 MPH then stop.

I so much love living in the country. I travel over 15 miles to my bank, and there are 2 stop signs along the way...one at the end of my road, and one at the main road by the bank. And few other cars...just the occasional tractor.

I so much love living in the country. I travel over 15 miles to my bank, and there are 2 stop signs along the way...one at the end of my road, and one at the main road by the bank. And few other cars...just the occasional tractor.

I grew up working on a farm in Kentucky. I was the kid on a tractor with wagons hauling hay from one farm to another. One stop light in town and the cop just waved at me and other farm kids driving farm trucks. When I go back to Kentucky to visit family I about to have an anxiety attack sitting behind a tractor. People are waving at each other all friendly. Over 30 years in this city and I have forgotten what that is like. Maybe some day I can return to this, but my dream would be in a bungalow just off the beach looking at the ocean and riding a bike to the grocery store when needed. If that dream came true I won't even be on a car forum.

My Dream Spot

This is my daily commute outside of Boston! Absolutely right-on!

I grew up working on a farm in Kentucky. I was the kid on a tractor with wagons hauling hay from one farm to another. One stop light in town and the cop just waved at me and other farm kids driving farm trucks. When I go back to Kentucky to visit family I about to have an anxiety attack sitting behind a tractor. People are waving at each other all friendly. Over 30 years in this city and I have forgotten what that is like. Maybe some day I can return to this, but my dream would be in a bungalow just off the beach looking at the ocean and riding a bike to the grocery store when needed. If that dream came true I won't even be on a car forum.

My Dream Spot
It's not that I don't enjoy a slow meander, it's just I have s*** to get done, and a schedule to keep, and I don't go get in my car just to tool around 20 under.

Some of us are just more aggressive drivers and need more power.

Some of us are just more aggressive drivers and want more power.

And some of us are in more of a hurry than others.

Nothing wrong with any of that as long as we don't cause a wreck.

Latest posts

Back