Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

I happened to rent, for several hundred miles, both models gas engine trims this past summer, and the results couldnt have been more striking.

ah man any link to that? Still have Rav4 on our radar in 2 years but want to see its moose test limits.

Abysmal. The T guys (I cant spell) got it at 67kmh, the km77 guys got it at 71, after multiple tries. Both looked horrible. The cx5 was tested at 78, I believe, by km77.
Km77 got 68kmh out of a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon on full blown offroad tires for crying out loud!
The new RAV is...scary, watching both channels moose tests!

If I wanted more cargo space and rear seat room than the CX 5 I would look at the Nissan X Trail not the Rav4. It was one of the cars I shopped before making my purchase and if I were a family guy it would have won hands down. But I'm not and the X Trail's lowly 170 HP turned me off. Nothing about the RAV 4 appeals to me and glad I didn't give it a second thought.

I posted this elsewhere.

Here are the age ranges of SUV Buyers in 2019:

Age 24 and younger...less than 1%
Age 25 to 54.............43%
Age 55 to 64.............26%
Age 65 and up..........31%

So a huge chunk are not buying these to drive families around...57% are age 55 & older, and another chunk of Post-Family Age buyers are in the next lower tier.

I gotta think that cargo room might not be so important to this demographic.

Yeesh. We talking cargo space again? It's a completely moot point unless you are stacking up to full capacity, all the way to the roof, regularly. Just throwing bags of groceries in the back? Doesn't matter.

I posted this elsewhere.

Here are the age ranges of SUV Buyers in 2019:

Age 24 and younger...less than 1%
Age 25 to 54.............43%
Age 55 to 64.............26%
Age 65 and up..........31%

So a huge chunk are not buying these to drive families around...57% are age 55 & older, and another chunk of Post-Family Age buyers are in the next lower tier.

I gotta think that cargo room might not be so important to this demographic.

It is the most important in this demographic, otherwise why would they buy an SUV over a car? Even if they don't use the extra space, it is nice to have in case you need it.

Most people don't care about driving dynamics, that only appeals to car guys.

It is the most important in this demographic, otherwise why would they buy an SUV over a car? Even if they don't use the extra space, it is nice to have in case you need it.

I buy an SUV for awd, and for ground clearance. If not for that, I'd be in a Corvette or similar.

I buy an SUV for awd, and for ground clearance. If not for that, I'd be in a Corvette or similar.

I'm speaking about the general population. Most people buy these SUV's for their practicality. Of course everyone on this forum will have different reasons, whether it be looks, turbo, driving dynamics, etc...basically any trait Mazda has that would be superior to it's competition. But in general, I would say extra space, fuel economy and safety would probably be the biggest reasons.

I have a Mazda3 and plan on getting an CX-5 once they refresh it, but then again I don't care about gas mileage or having a ton of cargo room. I just need something with a bit more space than my 3.

I'm speaking about the general population. Most people buy these SUV's for their practicality. Of course everyone on this forum will have different reasons, whether it be looks, turbo, driving dynamics, etc...basically any trait Mazda has that would be superior to it's competition. But in general, I would say extra space, fuel economy and safety would probably be the biggest reasons.

I have a Mazda3 and plan on getting an CX-5 once they refresh it, but then again I don't care about gas mileage or having a ton of cargo room. I just need something with a bit more space than my 3.

Mpg matters to me. That's part of why I didnt get an srt Jeep. Also, Jeep, lol!

I think there's a few issues here:

-SUVs are the modern version of Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles for older folks, but with better mileage
-SUVs provide a large (and safe) presence on the road
-SUVs are easier to get in and out of than cars, which tend to be lower to the ground
-SUVs are more comfortable for carting friends around in, almost like a small bus
-SUVs are everywhere, so it's kind of Demand Momentum

I don't really think that cargo space is a factor at all for retired Boomers, other than perhaps the convenience of unloading groceries without having to bend over too much.

I bought mine just before turning 65. I'm in good shape but know that long-term I want something that's easy to get in & out of. I've also driven pickups for the past 30 years and did not want to get back into something that made me feel vulnerable on the road. SUVs (or CUVs) are a nice middle ground.

edit to add: Maybe our definitions of "demographic" are different. I'm referring to the characteristics of the buyers, not the characteristics of SUVs.

Last edited:
Back