Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Adeelanwar View Post
    When Mazda refreshes the interior for 2020 that should again bring the Signature back up to an undisputed $40k compact.
    Christ almighty. $40k!

Here's hoping they bring something to the lower trims for us plebs.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, Premium Package, Deep Crystal Blue

We looked at the RAV4, wife did not like it. We looked at CR-V and liked it, but got scared by the gasoline in oil dilution, on the turbo engine. Would have been happy with CR-V base engine but there's no equipment on LX trim. As good as our '04 Honda is holding up, I had to pass on this one. Next up was the Forester. Did not care for the start/stop at all. Also concerned with the ~80% new engine and experience with our 2 year old Forester burning a quart of oil between oil changes. So we looked at CX-5 and that completed our short list. I should add that to make my list, a vehicle has to meet my top 3s: Safety, Reliability, MPG.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPurl View Post
    We looked at the RAV4, wife did not like it. We looked at CR-V and liked it, but got scared by the gasoline in oil dilution, on the turbo engine. Would have been happy with CR-V base engine but there's no equipment on LX trim. As good as our '04 Honda is holding up, I had to pass on this one. Next up was the Forester. Did not care for the start/stop at all. Also concerned with the ~80% new engine and experience with our 2 year old Forester burning a quart of oil between oil changes. So we looked at CX-5 and that completed our short list. I should add that to make my list, a vehicle has to meet my top 3s: Safety, Reliability, MPG.
    If you didnít care about Subaruís start-stop system, you should care about cylinder deactivation on your 2019 CX-5 GT. Thereís already a big recall for falling rocker arms from CD, not to mention the bad reputation from the history of such system.

IMO, if a vehicle has to meet your top 3s: Safety, Reliability, MPG, then Toyota RAV4 seems to meet your 3 requirements perfectly.

Pitter

2020 CX-5 Signature (soon)

When I was cross shopping the alternative was the Nissan X-Trail. That has advantages, for example locked true 4wd as well as AWD drive train modes. It has more rear seat room and bigger cargo area than the CX-5. However it has (at least here) an underwhelming horsepower rating of around 170. Not a lot of power to move that larger vehicle around. I'm at the point where I want the extra power over true 4wd so am buying a CX-5 with turbo.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPurl View Post
    We looked at the RAV4, wife did not like it.... I should add that to make my list, a vehicle has to meet my top 3s: Safety, Reliability, MPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    IMO, if a vehicle has to meet your top 3s: Safety, Reliability, MPG, then Toyota RAV4 seems to meet your 3 requirements perfectly.
    yrwei, the wife is the 4th requirement, and with absolute veto power, didn'tja know. Instant disqualification.

I was loyal to Lexus for 10 years. New to Mazda. The 2019 Rav4 has no appeal to me, it's ugly, extremely boring, interior is nothing special. Actually, the base Mazda CX-5 has the best interior in the segment. Look at the cheap plastic steering wheel and cheap looking exterior (and steel wheels with hubcaps) that comes on the 2019 RAV4 base AWD:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=516295696

The CX-5 comes with a leather wrapped steering wheel standard. Alloy wheels standard. The base manual seats are very comfortable. LED projector headlights standard. The Mazda looks better, drives better, and to me has much better value when comparing base AWD versions, which is why I bought it.
    Last edited by Chocolate; 08-14-2019 at 05:03 AM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 Touring

Other thing about the RAV4 is headroom. I havenít sat in one but Iím pretty sure I wonít fit based on my experience with a Camry. Iíd really like the hybrid version too.

Iíve been cross-shopping a bit and itís interesting to me that no crossover really stands out as just right. The CX-5 with better tech, probably comes the closest, but itís just not quite there. Lot better today than my 2015 was, though. Well, that and the $40K for a signature or $34K for a GT configured the way Iíd want it.

RAV4: Headroom
    CX-5: Infotainment
    Santa Fe: Turbo Lag
    CR-V: Noisy, donít like Honda Dealers
    Subaru: Great for trails and leaving oil behind so you can find your way home.
    And so on and so forth....

Cars are about sacrifices and which oneís you can live with.

Registered Member

'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N

^I was about to say why the hell would the Camry's lack of headroom have anything to do w/that of the Rav4..holy crap 37.5 Camry/37.7 Rav4(with sunroof)/39.3 for CX-5 w/sunroof...wow. Didn't really cross shop it- went right back to gen1 CX-5 after pricing up a RAV online w/the crap I'd want..decided if I were to spend that kind of coin it would be(almost certainly) on the GTR- decided not to even tempt, rather hold on that a few years and scoop up an off lease cpo 19 or 20 much like I just did w/my 16.5 GT...hoping for better gen2 seats, looking forward to cooled seats(alot), not looking forward to: pwr tailgate, paying 40/50c more to get the full 250 out of it- but of course I will
    Last edited by Monterra; 08-13-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- oh what a feelin!
    1991 Toyota MR2T 6MT- Awesome
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI)- good until gremlins
    +enter bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -It didn't break
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers- should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - Solid vehicle sans brakes..few issues @90k+
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast and still did donuts, e-steering=fail
    2019 Hyundai Veloster N- 6MT or bust bitch (love that)fun/dollar untouchable right now
    2016.5 CX-5 AWD GT - Stickin w/swoop, wheel upgrade, really just wanted to ape 7ereg

Registered Member

I just sold my 2010 RAV4 V-6 Sport AWD and am currently shopping for a replacement. I have a spreadsheet with data from Equinox, Escape, CRV, CX5 and RAV4. I just did a back to back comparison between between a 2019 CX5 Sig and 2019 RAV4 Adventure. The interior is an immediate standout between the two. The RAV seemed cheap by comparison. Also, the fact that no power passenger seat is available regardless of trim level was an immediate veto by the wife. The RAV4 definitely has more cargo space behind the rear seats but the rear leg room in the CX5 is still excellent. I was really leaning toward the RAV4 Hybrid Limited because of the excellent MPG and could probably have lived with the less-than-stellar 0-60 time. However, I prefer a good driving vehicle over a mere transportation device so the Mazda is currently on my very short list. Something my old RAV4 had (and is going to be offered in the 2020 Escape) was a sliding rear seat. All compact SUVís should have those as they really add to the flexibility of that space!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by AK GOAT View Post
    However, I prefer a good driving vehicle over a mere transportation device so the Mazda is currently on my very short list.
    Don't discount the driving dynamics of the Rav4 hybrid if you've not driven one. I drove one back to back with a CX-5 Sig and the hybrid powertrain of the Toyota really worked for me. Both cars had good pickup, but the quiet, electric-like initial thrust of the Rav4 won me over. And the CX-5 engine I drove seemed a bit unrefined, "thrashy", and there was some bootstrapping with the turbo which made the throttle harder to modulate - maybe I drove a bad one. All that being said, the passenger seat lack of headroom and difficulty getting in/out of the Rav4 are big disqualifying problems, at least for my wife.

- Mark

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

Quote Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
    Don't discount the driving dynamics of the Rav4 hybrid if you've not driven one. I drove one back to back with a CX-5 Sig and the hybrid powertrain of the Toyota really worked for me. Both cars had good pickup, but the quiet, electric-like initial thrust of the Rav4 won me over. And the CX-5 engine I drove seemed a bit unrefined, "thrashy", and there was some bootstrapping with the turbo which made the throttle harder to modulate - maybe I drove a bad one. All that being said, the passenger seat lack of headroom and difficulty getting in/out of the Rav4 are big disqualifying problems, at least for my wife.

- Mark
    Yeah RAV4 Hybrid has 219 combined hp which is more powerful than 203-hp 2.5L gas engine. RAV4 XSE Hybrid even comes with sport-tuned suspension.

At least RAV4 has the roof assist handle right for right rear seat passenger. I hate the coat hanger hook at the wrong position for right-rear passenger whenever I use the handle, just to save some cost to use the same one from left side on CX-5. Sometimes we can see bigger picture from small things. This makes me wonder what else Mazda has done just to save some pennies.

AF017C33-CC6F-4B59-B4D6-8FA68BA388B2.jpeg

78A2050B-E8D2-46E0-B1F3-2BD3BE82FD05.jpeg

It*s nice to include rear cargo cover except on base LE models:

49768408-FD55-4D7D-A272-0774E7569B7E.jpeg

I also like RAV4 has one extra trim color available - the light gray!

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by AK GOAT View Post
    I just sold my 2010 RAV4 V-6 Sport AWD and am currently shopping for a replacement. I have a spreadsheet with data from Equinox, Escape, CRV, CX5 and RAV4. I just did a back to back comparison between between a 2019 CX5 Sig and 2019 RAV4 Adventure. The interior is an immediate standout between the two. The RAV seemed cheap by comparison. Also, the fact that no power passenger seat is available regardless of trim level was an immediate veto by the wife. The RAV4 definitely has more cargo space behind the rear seats but the rear leg room in the CX5 is still excellent. I was really leaning toward the RAV4 Hybrid Limited because of the excellent MPG and could probably have lived with the less-than-stellar 0-60 time. However, I prefer a good driving vehicle over a mere transportation device so the Mazda is currently on my very short list. Something my old RAV4 had (and is going to be offered in the 2020 Escape) was a sliding rear seat. All compact SUV*s should have those as they really add to the flexibility of that space!
    Hybrid awd system doesnt work at highway speeds, yo. Instant dealkill.

That's definitely a problem.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    That's definitely a problem.
    Even more a problem is how sneaky they are...

https://www.toyota.com/rav4hybrid/rav4hybrid-features/
    Look at that wording "...all the way to highway speeds."

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

CX-5 doesn't look all that flattering in this pic, IMO, but that RAV4 looks like an oversized kid's toy.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast