Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    Getting back OT...

I was intrigued by the idea of the redesigned RAV4, but am having a hard time getting behind the new style. It's certainly an improvement over the awful outgoing generation, but the rugged/toy look is a step in the opposite direction of the CX-5. I may go test drive one for due diligence, but have low expectations. I want something that looks and drives sharper.
    I actually like the hybrid rav better than my cx5 gtr, if only looks are being discussed.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    You know they're just yes men who will say anything to "earn" your trust, right?

You mean to tell me you couldn't really feel the difference between the car you've been driving for a few years and a car with an extra 43 hp and 125 lb-ft of torque? You couldn't feel the difference in acceleration between a car that does low 8s in a 0-60 compared to the 6.2s published by C&D and the 6.4s published by Motortrend?
    I had a loaner 2018 GT for 4 days before I picked up my GTR. It is absolutely night and day, and was readily apparent. Also gets better gas mileage, ironically.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I had a loaner 2018 GT for 4 days before I picked up my GTR. It is absolutely night and day, and was readily apparent. Also gets better gas mileage, ironically.
    I'm going to assume you are granny driving it.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 86k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

I see a 19 Rav4 in Flesh every day. Grey color. Looks are meh. Seriously - if there never was a car maker who's transition from paper / pictures to reality was so far in the wrong direction as Toyota.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    I'm going to assume you are granny driving it.
    I race a few cars here and there, drive 20 over the speed limit on the back roads, the usual. Thing is, I just don't have to abuse it like I did the 2.5NA to do it.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    I see a 19 Rav4 in Flesh every day. Grey color. Looks are meh. Seriously - if there never was a car maker who's transition from paper / pictures to reality was so far in the wrong direction as Toyota.
    That's why they never seem to sell any.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by wbw View Post
    The CX-5 is very attractive, but almost too good looking if you know what I mean.
    ...Please do explain LOL.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 White Pearl Sig

My search started three years ago with the goal being fuel economy and the promise of a CX-5 diesel. Waited a long time for that, but when it turned into a unicorn I started looking at the pending Rav4 Hybrid. That was another year of waiting and got as far as sitting in one at the L.A. Auto show. I actually thought it was pretty nice, just not as nice as the CX-5 sitting nearby. Then the Rav4 reviews started coming in and the most common gripes were engine noise, which is a big deal for me, and the CVT transmission. At that point I had to have an honest talk with myself about what I REALLY wanted. Something fun to drive and (preferably) actual gears behind the engine. I like a car than can do better than just get out of it's own way. Looking at my yearly mileage for the last ten years I'm averaging 5-6k per year, not enough to give the weight to fuel economy that I had been. Finally said to heck with it and caved to the fun factor. I don't regret buying the turbo one bit.

Registered Member

I cross shopped for a couple of months. I’m in the apparent small minority who preferred the styling of the 2018 RAV4 to the new Tonka styling. The high fuel economy and additional power of the hybrid had my attention, and I wanted a pano sunroof. Ultimately, the hybrid was just taking too long, its new interior is merely okay, and consistent reports of interior noise were a turn-off.

Meanwhile: The CR-V was off the list until they sort out their engine issues (oil dilution). The NX is pricey, lacks CarPlay and is short on cargo capacity. The Koreans just didn’t compel me, and the Escape’s “Transformers” dash was plain fugly.

I want to enjoy my driving, so a spin in the CX-5 sold me despite a few drawbacks (scarce dealers with not the best reputations, small sunroof, no kick-to-open tailgate, comparative thirstiness, small gas tank, weak native nav system—but still better than Toyota’s!...)

So far I’m happy.

Wait...0w16 oil?

2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    That's why they never seem to sell any.
    A huge percentage of consumers don’t really care about the look of their car. In fact, based on the list of top-selling cars, other factors weigh much heavier to the average customer. So yes, it’s totally fair to rip in Toyota’s bad design team even though they sell a boatload of cars.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Wait...0w16 oil?

Yep, Toyota's new Dynamic Force engines use even thinner 0W-16 oil!

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Yep, Toyota's new Dynamic Force engines use even thinner 0W-16 oil!
    That's some super slick thin oil. I cannot confirm in person but multiple reviews indicate the engine sounds a bit harsh when revving. Not sure if this thin oil correlates.

2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    That's some super slick thin oil. I cannot confirm in person but multiple reviews indicate the engine sounds a bit harsh when revving. Not sure if this thin oil correlates.
    Toyota cheaped out and didn’t include hood insulation on the new RAV4, so that’s why harsh engine noise is so prominent in reviews. What a dumb decision on their part.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    A huge percentage of consumers don*t really care about the look of their car. In fact, based on the list of top-selling cars, other factors weigh much heavier to the average customer. So yes, it*s totally fair to rip in Toyota*s bad design team even though they sell a boatload of cars.
    https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-n...s-reliability/

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast