Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Even more a problem is how sneaky they are...

https://www.toyota.com/rav4hybrid/rav4hybrid-features/
    Look at that wording "...all the way to highway speeds."
    Kinda like "Discounts Up To 50%!!!" Well, 2% fits that definition. So does 1%.

I swear, marketing normalizes lying.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    CX-5 doesn't look all that flattering in this pic, IMO, but that RAV4 looks like an oversized kid's toy.
    I've seen a few black/white 2-tone Hybrids in person, and they look amazing except for somehow the wheel-wells/tires/rims don't jive, and the exhaust is just clown shoes. It looks hung on as an afterthought. Otherwise, very striking!

Registered Member

Hybrid awd system doesnt work at highway speeds, yo. Instant dealkill.
    From what I've read, the CX-5 doesn't drive the rear wheels in "normal" driving either, so I'm not sure why this is a deal killer.

- Mark

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
    From what I've read, the CX-5 doesn't drive the rear wheels in "normal" driving either, so I'm not sure why this is a deal killer.

- Mark
    It works 100% of the time, the rav cannot.

CX-5 doesn't look all that flattering in this pic, IMO, but that RAV4 looks like an oversized kid's toy.
    Absolutely. One thing Toyota does is they really differentiate each trim level. Whereas Mazda gives you a competitive amount of features standard, Toyota really forces you into buying a higher trim level. The Rav4 is a boring plastic box with steel wheels and plastic hubcaps, unless you get a more expensive trim. Then it's a slightly better looking boring box.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Absolutely. One thing Toyota does is they really differentiate each trim level. Whereas Mazda gives you a competitive amount of features standard, Toyota really forces you into buying a higher trim level. The Rav4 is a boring plastic box with steel wheels and plastic hubcaps, unless you get a more expensive trim. Then it's a slightly better looking boring box.
    It's not like Mazda has a 75 horsepower incentive to buy a higher trim level or anything.

They do, but they don't make the base CX-5 a penalty box like Toyota does with the Rav4. The touchscreen is also larger, standard, and it only cost 36 dollars for a factory Nav SD card (purchased through aftermarket) to enable factory Nav with voice command.

A better value than the Rav4 for sure. Mazda should do a better job of communicating these advantages in their ads, because they have a number of standard luxury features (like brake auto-hold) that aren't common in the segment.
    Last edited by Chocolate; 08-16-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

It's not like Mazda has a 75 horsepower incentive to buy a higher trim level or anything.
    Very true. The Gen 2 NA trims are just a "what for?" in my opinion from a Gen 1. Only worthwhile reason to upgrade would be for the turbo version, but I'm not willing to pay that price new. We'll see how I feel when they are more reasonably priced on a CPO offering. Or perhaps trickle down to a Touring. I don't know.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Very true. The Gen 2 NA trims are just a "what for?" in my opinion from a Gen 1. Only worthwhile reason to upgrade would be for the turbo version, but I'm not willing to pay that price new. We'll see how I feel when they are more reasonably priced on a CPO offering. Or perhaps trickle down to a Touring. I don't know.
    If my 2015 hadn't broke to the tune of $1400 and the dealer hadn't only taken $300 off trade-in and still given me fair value for it, I'd have been a very content person to wait for the Turbo to be CPO...and then I'd keep my 2015 and continue to grumble about it because it would be paid off, lol!

Registered Member

It works 100% of the time, the rav cannot.
    Both the Rav4 and CX-5 has systems which are basically FWD, but drive the rear wheels based on a wide variety of factors, including wheel slip, speed, steering angle, yaw, etc. I doubt the Mazda drives the rear wheels much (if at all) at highway speeds either for gas mileage reasons. Just don't see how this is much of a differentiator. One thing I have heard is that since the Rav4 drives the rear wheels exclusively with the electric motor, there are lower limits about how much power can be applied to the rear axle. This might have some impact for challenging off-road conditions (e.g., climbing a steep hill with poor traction).

- Mark

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Both the Rav4 and CX-5 has systems which are basically FWD, but drive the rear wheels based on a wide variety of factors, including wheel slip, speed, steering angle, yaw, etc. I doubt the Mazda drives the rear wheels much (if at all) at highway speeds either for gas mileage reasons. Just don't see how this is much of a differentiator. One thing I have heard is that since the Rav4 drives the rear wheels exclusively with the electric motor, there are lower limits about how much power can be applied to the rear axle. This might have some impact for challenging off-road conditions (e.g., climbing a steep hill with poor traction).

- Mark
    The CX5 doesn't drive the rear tires unless it needs to. Thing is...it can. The RAV4 cannot. FWD only, at highway speeds. What does that mean? 40? 55?80? I dunno. I just know it's a "nope!" from me.

Registered Member

Don't discount the driving dynamics of the Rav4 hybrid if you've not driven one. I drove one back to back with a CX-5 Sig and the hybrid powertrain of the Toyota really worked for me. Both cars had good pickup, but the quiet, electric-like initial thrust of the Rav4 won me over. And the CX-5 engine I drove seemed a bit unrefined, "thrashy", and there was some bootstrapping with the turbo which made the throttle harder to modulate - maybe I drove a bad one. All that being said, the passenger seat lack of headroom and difficulty getting in/out of the Rav4 are big disqualifying problems, at least for my wife.

- Mark
    Oh, I like Toyotaís hybrid systems...I would probably own a hybrid Camry but canít get past what they did to the front end recently. That said, the new RAV4 hybridís 0-60 is a full second behind my 2010 RAV4 and approximately the same behind the CX5 turbo. Yeah, the torque from the electric motor makes it feel like it is really stepping out but itís an illusion.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

- Mark
    While you are right about it mostly being FWD, the difference is that the CX-5 CAN and WILL activate AWD as needed regardless of speed. Sounds like that's not the case for the RAV4 which sounds like a total fail to me.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213