Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

That's why they never seem to sell any.

A huge percentage of consumers dont really care about the look of their car. In fact, based on the list of top-selling cars, other factors weigh much heavier to the average customer. So yes, its totally fair to rip in Toyotas bad design team even though they sell a boatload of cars.

Wait...0w16 oil?

2019-toyota-rav4-adventure-1.jpg
Yep, Toyota's new Dynamic Force engines use even thinner 0W-16 oil!

Yep, Toyota's new Dynamic Force engines use even thinner 0W-16 oil!

That's some super slick thin oil. I cannot confirm in person but multiple reviews indicate the engine sounds a bit harsh when revving. Not sure if this thin oil correlates.

That's some super slick thin oil. I cannot confirm in person but multiple reviews indicate the engine sounds a bit harsh when revving. Not sure if this thin oil correlates.

Toyota cheaped out and didnt include hood insulation on the new RAV4, so thats why harsh engine noise is so prominent in reviews. What a dumb decision on their part.

I cross shopped for a couple of months. (snip)

Meanwhile: The CR-V was off the list until they sort out their engine issues (oil dilution).

This was me.

I shopped for quite a while, started off at Carmax so I could try a bunch of models in a short period of time before visiting dealers. I started out thinking I was gonna buy a CR-V and was looking at other stuff just to check the box. Then the more I read, the more the oil dilution and lack of dealer/manufacturer engagement on the issue scared me...and I found it has existed for a while in the Civics as well! Some folks report oil changes as often as 1,000 miles. (wow)

I can't even recall why I started looking at the Mazda. I've been driving for nearly 50 years, and have never owned a Japanese car. Perhaps it was a gushing Edmunds review on the 2018 CX-5 that pointed me in this direction.

I was just out driving this morning, up & down the curving hilly backroads in Manual Shift Mode, downshifting into the downhill S-curves, winding it out in 3rd gear coming back up, then slingshotting into the straight sections as the turbo kicks in.

Yeh, I'm still happy, too. I keep saying it's crazy fun for an SUV, but it's crazy fun for any car.

The CX-5 GT AWD had all the features I wanted with navigation as a bonus. I could configure the RAV-4 with most of the same features but MSRP was $4K more. The RAV didn't have android auto which was a deal breaker and the back seats didn't lay down flat. The Forester was even more money for the same features while the CR-V was just about the same NSRP as the CX-5 but no navigation. At the time, Mazda had additional incentives and dealers were willing to negotiate more than the others. Since my wife was the primary driver, I asked here to pick the one she liked best. She likes the looks of the Mazda best.

...Please do explain LOL.

I tend to agree with his sentiment. It's too good looking to the point you worry about unwanted attention or would get self conscious about pulling up to work in it with people around you driving relative dregs. It's an interesting duality. Especially compared to the freak factor exteriors of the CRv and Rav4, goofiness of Rogue, and gummy bear looks of Tucson and Sportage. Imo the other two good looking or handsome CUVs in the segment are the Envision and Terrain. The Outlander looks decent too and an honorable mention to Tiguan with its no frills approach.

I tend to agree with his sentiment. It's too good looking to the point you worry about unwanted attention or would get self conscious about pulling up to work in it with people around you driving relative dregs. It's an interesting duality. Especially compared to the freak factor exteriors of the CRv and Rav4, goofiness of Rogue, and gummy bear looks of Tucson and Sportage. Imo the other two good looking or handsome CUVs in the segment are the Envision and Terrain. The Outlander looks decent too and an honorable mention to Tiguan with its no frills approach.

Hang out better places. Oh, and to hell with people. I don't give a damn about their thoughts. If they dont like my vehicle thats their failing.

I checked out and drove a CRV, a RAV and quickly removed them from consideration when comared to a Turbo CX5. However; the ACURA RDX looks interesting.

Wait...0w16 oil?

2019-toyota-rav4-adventure-1.jpg

This engine bay looks easy to work on. Easy access to alternator, belts, and tensioner. Not sure where dipstick is. Only funky thing is the windshield fluid cap is too close to the radiator cap imho.

I checked out and drove a CRV, a RAV and quickly removed them from consideration when comared to a Turbo CX5. However; the ACURA RDX looks interesting.

If you don't mind the interior, then it's definitely a great car. I found it slightly odd that even with a smaller engine and a 10-speed transmission, the RDX gets the same mileage as the CX-5 w/ Turbo. I also priced out the A-Spec trim and MSRP was what I paid for my 18 CX-9 Signature, lol.

I've read on this forum I think ,or maybe BITOG (I forgot) about a bunch of issues. Shifty transmissions, lots of rattles, etc. allegedly being complained about on the RDX forums.

Hang out better places. Oh, and to hell with people. I don't give a damn about their thoughts. If they dont like my vehicle thats their failing.

Sorry didnt mean my post to sound critical. The CX5 signature is my favorite car ATM. I just think it looks like a luxury vehicle from a far, especially in that trim and in gray, silver, black colors.

I've read on this forum I think ,or maybe BITOG (I forgot) about a bunch of issues. Shifty transmissions, lots of rattles, etc. allegedly being complained about on the RDX forums.

That was probably my post, I lurk over on the RDX forums at Acurazine. The variety and quantity of complaints is concerning, even compared to, say, Audi or BMW forums. The problems are typical of first-year Honda products in the past 5 years, so if that pattern holds then the 2020 RDX should be pretty solid, but I crossed the 2019 off my list.

That was probably my post, I lurk over on the RDX forums at Acurazine. The variety and quantity of complaints is concerning, even compared to, say, Audi or BMW forums. The problems are typical of first-year Honda products in the past 5 years, so if that pattern holds then the 2020 RDX should be pretty solid, but I crossed the 2019 off my list.

I can't get pass that Acura center stack though...On paper the RDX kills it. Still leary about that 10-speed transmission long term-wise but hey you have a 5 yer warranty on it. I guess the benefit of the CX-5 using the good ole 6-speed is less parts to break and less searching for the right gear.

Back