Thread: Ignition Coil and ECM Question

Registered Member

2008 Mazda CX9

Ignition Coil and ECM Question

Hey guys,

So we bought our CX-9 about 4 months ago. It's been great so far apart from the transfer case having almost zero oil in it (glad i checked and re-filled before failure). Anyways, on our way back from a 400km trip, half an hour from home, the car lost power. I had the cruise control on and it kept trying to shift into a lower gear to get the car back up to speed. Anyways, i took it off cruise and could not accelerate, the more i tried the more it just slowed down. A few seconds later the engine light came on and started flashing. I then knew i had a misfire in one or more cylinders. We limped it home and i hooked up my scan tool and got the following codes:

P0301, P0351, P0352, P0354. After some quick research, i found the tsb from mazda about the ECM and ignition coils. I finally got the time to take it all apart today, and found ignition coil #1 melted. the rest seem to be fine. Now, since they've never been done, i plan to get 6 new plugs and coils. BUT, i do not know how to test the ECM to see if it will just melt the ignition coil again. Is there a way to test to see if the ECM is good/bad?

Now, the only issue i have is, if i do go ahead and order a new ECM (i found a seller on ebay who will pre-program it with your vin number), do i still have to go to the dealer to get the keys programmed or is that something i can do myself, and if so, how?

I live in Canada, so shipping out my ECM for repair would take quite a while i assume, but i don't want to have to rip it all apart and spend the money on new coils again. Also, my cx9 is originally a USA car (if it matters). It has 118,000 miles. Lastly, its the switchblade key.

Thanks

CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've never seen a tsb about ecm / coils ? I'm a 2008 with 101,000 miles (not km) and changed my plugs myself at 80,000 miles, but i've never had any ecm/coil issue. Maybe you just had a coil go bad and just replace coils and you're good to go?

08' CX-9 GT FWD
    Gray Mica with Black Interior
    Nav/Bose/Sunroof/Bluetooth /Rack&Crossbars/BSM/Pwr Lift/Homelink Mirror/Tow Pkg/All Weather Rear Mats
    K&N drop-in filter/Centric E-Coated rotors & Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics /2 Yakima ForkLift Bike Trays/ Weathertech front mats
    Tires: Nitto NT421Q
    Oil: Mobile One Full Synth & Mobile One Extended Performance filter
    Problems to date: Blower motor relays replaced once, intake manifold rear brace was missing from factory build, headlamp motors weak, windshield wiper plastic cap, rear strut leak.
    Mileage: 100k
    Job: Material Damage Adjuster