AWD Logic

toyotechwv

:
CX-5
My wife has a 2016.5 CX5 Touring. AWD is an absolute must for us here in WV and the road to our home can be quite gnarly when it snows. A few weeks ago we had a significant snowfall here, 10"+. The CX5 could not make it to our home even with General Altimax Arctics at all four corners. The AWD light would flash and the system would disengage the rear differential resulting in total loss of forward progress. Has this software logic been changed in newer CX5's? Her previous Jeep Patriot navigated deep snow with ease. We were very disappointed in the performance of the Mazda system the very first time it was tested.

The AWD light blinks to indicate overheating of the diff clutch.. Excess slippage at the tires. Too much throttle for conditions, maybe. It's not a rock-crawler, it's not intended to be driven in deep, heavy snow, where the bottom drags.

You need to drive fast enough to avoid bogging down, and should have tires intended for deep snow, like Blizzaks.

Have you seen Altimax Arctics? More aggressive than any Blizzak. I understand what the light means but I feel the system "protection" is too intrusive too soon. It's not like I was sending 12' white rooster tails in the air. I'm comparing the vehicle's performance to previously owned vehicles equipped with the same tires on the same road in nearly identical conditions. This will be the deciding factor whether we lease another Mazda or go with another manufacturer. So, is this still the operational logic in the current MY CX5?

OP: That is not normal.

I have never seen my AWD light come on before and have taken my CX-5 in lots of snow. That indicates temp issue or other fault. I would check to make sure it doesn't have a low fill of rear diff fluid. Mine stock was low.

You can view rear diff temps with the Forscan App

https://www.forscan.org/home.html

I have never seen my AWD light come on before and have taken my CX-5 in lots of snow. That indicates temp issue or other fault. I would check to make sure it doesn't have a low fill of rear diff fluid. Mine stock was low.

I second this. It seems that Mazda felt that they didn't need to fill the differential to capacity. Most everyone who has checked has found that the rear differential wasn't filled to capacity.

Agreed. I have likewise driven mine through deep snow, and with proper tires, it was a tank. I have never had the AWD light come on in mine. Only time I've ever slipped and slide was when I needed new tires.

I'll echo what others have stated and have your rear differential checked, OP. What you describe does not sound normal to me at all.

My wife has a 2016.5 CX5 Touring. AWD is an absolute must for us here in WV and the road to our home can be quite gnarly when it snows. A few weeks ago we had a significant snowfall here, 10"+. The CX5 could not make it to our home even with General Altimax Arctics at all four corners. The AWD light would flash and the system would disengage the rear differential resulting in total loss of forward progress. Has this software logic been changed in newer CX5's? Her previous Jeep Patriot navigated deep snow with ease. We were very disappointed in the performance of the Mazda system the very first time it was tested.

I have the same vehicle, and have never seen the AWD light on or flash for that matter. It does not sound like there is a problem with the logic, it seems as if there is a fault in your system. Most likely with the electromagnetic coupler-clutch assembly.

Last edited:
Back