Thread: AWD Logic

Registered Member

CX-5

AWD Logic

My wife has a 2016.5 CX5 Touring. AWD is an absolute must for us here in WV and the road to our home can be quite gnarly when it snows. A few weeks ago we had a significant snowfall here, 10"+. The CX5 could not make it to our home even with General Altimax Arctics at all four corners. The AWD light would flash and the system would disengage the rear differential resulting in total loss of forward progress. Has this software logic been changed in newer CX5's? Her previous Jeep Patriot navigated deep snow with ease. We were very disappointed in the performance of the Mazda system the very first time it was tested.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Is this a used car, new to you?

Registered Member

CX-5

It's a lease. We are in our 2nd year with the vehicle.

Guest2019C20
    The AWD light blinks to indicate overheating of the diff clutch.. Excess slippage at the tires. Too much throttle for conditions, maybe. It's not a rock-crawler, it's not intended to be driven in deep, heavy snow, where the bottom drags.

You need to drive fast enough to avoid bogging down, and should have tires intended for deep snow, like Blizzaks.

Registered Member

CX-5

Have you seen Altimax Arctics? More aggressive than any Blizzak. I understand what the light means but I feel the system "protection" is too intrusive too soon. It's not like I was sending 12' white rooster tails in the air. I'm comparing the vehicle's performance to previously owned vehicles equipped with the same tires on the same road in nearly identical conditions. This will be the deciding factor whether we lease another Mazda or go with another manufacturer. So, is this still the operational logic in the current MY CX5?

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    OP: That is not normal.

I have never seen my AWD light come on before and have taken my CX-5 in lots of snow. That indicates temp issue or other fault. I would check to make sure it doesn't have a low fill of rear diff fluid. Mine stock was low.

You can view rear diff temps with the Forscan App

https://www.forscan.org/home.html
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 48K Miles / '07 Infiniti G35x / '12 Lexus GX 460 / '00 Wrangler TJ 4.0L

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post

I have never seen my AWD light come on before and have taken my CX-5 in lots of snow. That indicates temp issue or other fault. I would check to make sure it doesn't have a low fill of rear diff fluid. Mine stock was low.

I second this. It seems that Mazda felt that they didn't need to fill the differential to capacity. Most everyone who has checked has found that the rear differential wasn't filled to capacity.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post

Agreed. I have likewise driven mine through deep snow, and with proper tires, it was a tank. I have never had the AWD light come on in mine. Only time I've ever slipped and slide was when I needed new tires.

I'll echo what others have stated and have your rear differential checked, OP. What you describe does not sound normal to me at all.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 78k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by toyotechwv View Post
    My wife has a 2016.5 CX5 Touring. AWD is an absolute must for us here in WV and the road to our home can be quite gnarly when it snows. A few weeks ago we had a significant snowfall here, 10"+. The CX5 could not make it to our home even with General Altimax Arctics at all four corners. The AWD light would flash and the system would disengage the rear differential resulting in total loss of forward progress. Has this software logic been changed in newer CX5's? Her previous Jeep Patriot navigated deep snow with ease. We were very disappointed in the performance of the Mazda system the very first time it was tested.
    I have the same vehicle, and have never seen the AWD light on or flash for that matter. It does not sound like there is a problem with the logic, it seems as if there is a fault in your system. Most likely with the electromagnetic coupler-clutch assembly.
    Last edited by mazdadude; 02-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.