Did anyone cross-shop CX-5 with the new Tiguan?

I did, very closely too. My Mazda dealer service center has VW under the same roof. My dad and myself liked both the Tiguan and the CX-5 about the same, but I decided just out of curiosity to step in the garage and ask the service techs what they thought of both cars. The general consensus was that they do A LOT more warranty work on Volkswagens than Mazdas. This was not the lone deciding factor in picking Mazda, but it certainly didn't help Volkswagen's case.

I did, very closely too. My Mazda dealer service center has VW under the same roof. My dad and myself liked both the Tiguan and the CX-5 about the same, but I decided just out of curiosity to step in the garage and ask the service techs what they thought of both cars. The general consensus was that they do A LOT more warranty work on Volkswagens than Mazdas. This was not the lone deciding factor in picking Mazda, but it certainly didn't help Volkswagen's case.

Yep VWs have a reputation for recalls. At least they fix stuff - Mazda won*t even admit to its DRL debacle.

Definitely buy the Tiguan and then think of us as it slowly extends your retirement date with repeated service trips and a catastrophic failure that leads to the dealer offering you a lease on a new base model Passat. (bike)

Haha. Love this!
d04b8e8dba2730d3fc2ee99018e491c3.jpg

I'm one of those people. Lately, I'm getting awesome mileage, 24-25mpgs. In the summer, I was getting 21mpgs.
Maybe you should post that to them. (drive)

So, I've been lurking on this forum specifically because I have a Tiguan and wish it were a CX-5. I bought November 2017 (SEL Premium 4Motion), and almost pulled the trigger on a CX-5 GT, but was mostly a little hesitant on the power, and I was lured in by the better cabin tech of the Tig. I have since test driven a GT-R and it checks all the boxes for me. After running the numbers I decided I had to be a grown up and suck it up with the VW for a while instead of taking the depreciation hit.

Tiguan pros: The virtual cockpit is pretty nice. If I had complete control there would be some configuration options that aren't built in. The lame thing is that since I (probably like most people) use Apple Carplay, nothing shows up on the virtual dash. You have to use the built in nav to get nav info in the dash. Space - it is very spacious, especially the back seats, which are on rails and can slide pretty far back. It seems like a small thing but the power hatch is probably twice as fast to open and close as my wife's Highlander. Decent sound system but I'm no audiophile. LED lights. Pano sunroof. The surround view and cameras are very good, and the rear washer also rinses off the rear camera lens, which is awesome. Seems to drive pretty well in the snow.

Tiguan cons: It's a dog. If you put it in Sport mode (need to switch every time you start the car), get an OBD coder (I got Carista which works fine) to change the throttle response, then it's *acceptable*. The tuning options currently available are piggybacks from Burger and Neuspeed - they are generally well reviewed. I haven't gotten one in part because I don't want to admit to myself that I'm keeping this car for that long .... ECU tunes like APR so far haven't been able to crack the new encryption from Bosch (my understanding is this affects all new Audi, VW, Porsche, etc.). It takes a full 3 seconds after pulling the wiper stalk for fluid to squirt out, and it seems to burn through wiper fluid. The interior feels (relatively) cheap. I have the top of the line (R line wasn't out when i bought; it's all just cosmetic upgrades afaik), and the passenger seat is MANUAL adjust. No ventilated seats, rear seats are not heated. Coming from Recaros, the seats are fine, but certainly not great or memorable. Oh and the remote start works from about 15 feet away, maybe 20 feet in optimal conditions.

This vehicle is perfectly "fine", but there is truly nothing to love about it. I buy into the "zoom zoom/driving matters/fahrfegnugen/etc" thing. I like driving and I want to feel a little excited to walk out of work or whatever and see my car waiting for me. This vehicle definitely does not give me shivers.

I haven't really objectively evaluated the interior space of the CX-5 (2 kids is why I went bigger from my Ford Focus ST), but I assume it would be fine. I don't need the extra cargo space of Tiguan vs CX-5, but if someone needed max cargo space for the class, Tiguan is probably the way to go. I have not had any major reliability issues.

LMK if I can answer any questions. Hopefully I'll be on this forum as an owner one of these days. I had a gen 1 Speed 3 and I loved that car, even though the transmission was temperamental.

I finally test drove the Tiguan SEL Premium R-Line, which I really wanted to love.

It really looks nice from the outside has a lot of room, but I was sorely disappointed in everything else. The engine is awful and sounds bad to match. Without any prompting, the sales associate mentioned the possibility of getting it tuned, lol. I was hoping the interior styling would look and feel better in person than in the photos, but not really. The seats were particularly cheap feeling and not firm enough for my taste.

On a humorous note, it's "new car smell" was curiously bad. The car was literally right off the truck and this was the first test drive. I don't know how to describe it other than to quote Jim Gaffigan: "Is someone making vitamins in here?" :)

So my old VW dealership is now offering Lifetime Powertrain warranty for free. Catch is you've got to show records of maintenance at that dealership. $300 deductible. Its a legit family operated dealership with top notch customer service. Anyways, I checked out the 2019 Tiguan's in person. Pretty cool. Then I read 9+ seconds to 60. tsk tsk.

Now read its reliability ratings in Consumer Reports. Hint: Bad
In general, stay away from German vehicles unless you like visiting the dealership, often.

So my old VW dealership is now offering Lifetime Powertrain warranty for free. Catch is you've got to show records of maintenance at that dealership....

That's a very common tactic used by several dealers in my area. They always find an "out" when needed.

Back