Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $300 for plugs - really??

Registered Member

Discussed this topic at length with my son and his co-workers (AP licensed jet Mechanics). Often recommended not to use anti-seize as overtorque and or backing out is an issue on low torque applications. They safety wire many fasteners but that is a different story. Many fasteners get a coatig of Milk of Magnesia as an anti-seize. Don't shoot the messenger here, google it for yourself. It is a thing and commonly used on igniters inside of jet engines. Low torque high heat application. There is even a part number for it if no Walgreens around!
    Either way I will use a good paste and be aware of torque settings or degrees from seated. I still think there is benefit 100K or 5 years later.
    What makes your life worth living?
    2014 Grand Touring dirt bike/street bike hauler and grocery getter

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by TTBadDog View Post
    Discussed this topic at length with my son and his co-workers (AP licensed jet Mechanics). Often recommended not to use anti-seize as overtorque and or backing out is an issue on low torque applications. They safety wire many fasteners but that is a different story. Many fasteners get a coatig of Milk of Magnesia as an anti-seize. Don't shoot the messenger here, google it for yourself. It is a thing and commonly used on igniters inside of jet engines. Low torque high heat application. There is even a part number for it if no Walgreens around!
    Either way I will use a good paste and be aware of torque settings or degrees from seated. I still think there is benefit 100K or 5 years later.
    I haven't seen that benefit. Just my experience.

Registered Member

Just an assurance that a plug will not become "stuck" or corroded in the head, it happens. It won't happen if treated. It will strip if the operator is not smarter than the tool.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I'm an anti-seize person myself. It has saved me so many times years down the road.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 48K Miles / '07 Infiniti G35x / '12 Lexus GX 460 / '00 Wrangler TJ 4.0L

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123