Can't get service icon to turn off 2017 CX-5 GT

:
2017 CX-5 GT
So for the second time since we've owned it, the service "wrench" icon turned on in our CX-5 for no apparent reason, and I can't get it to shut off. I have all the maintenance reminders (tires, oil, etc) set to off. I even went and turned them all back on, reset them, and then off again with no luck. Any thoughts?

So for the second time since we've owned it, the service "wrench" icon turned on in our CX-5 for no apparent reason, and I can't get it to shut off. I have all the maintenance reminders (tires, oil, etc) set to off. I even went and turned them all back on, reset them, and then off again with no luck. Any thoughts?

Did you check the manual? Otherwise, give Mazda service a call and ask them.

i have my service reminder disabled from settings...but, after you went to service at dealer, they turn it back on again, so i turn it back off.
good luck.
or you can make the date or Km higher than it set there...

Last edited:
Finally figured it out.

To make the service wrench icon go away, get in the car but do not turn it on. Press and hold the dash light brightness controller (as if you're resetting the Trip A/Trip B ODO to 0). While still holding the dash light brightness controller, hit the start button twice without your foot on the brake (do not start the car). Keep holding the brightness controller until the wrench icon starts flashing, then let go. At this point, repeat the Cyrillic alphabet backwards. The next step requires a chicken and a good knowledge of Santeria. Get a plastic drop sheet; it gets messy.

For the record, I had reset AND turned off all the service reminders via the so-called touch screen which did nothing to make the icon go away. You have to go through this obscure song and dance to get the icon to turn off. Left hand, meet right hand...

See your dealer - there's a TSB on this (TSB NUMBER: 09-037/18) for the 2017-2018 Canadian spec CX-5s. There's a software update to correct the problem - sounds like the fix also allows future resets to be done using only the Maintenance Monitor.

happened to mine too once and I had to do the same reset procedure. I don't know if I had anything reprogrammed but I haven't had to do it in a while.

It's caused by a disconnect between the gauges and the CMU. The process you outlined resets the gauge cluster side of it.

Finally figured it out.

To make the service wrench icon go away, get in the car but do not turn it on. Press and hold the dash light brightness controller (as if you're resetting the Trip A/Trip B ODO to 0). While still holding the dash light brightness controller, hit the start button twice without your foot on the brake (do not start the car). Keep holding the brightness controller until the wrench icon starts flashing, then let go. At this point, repeat the Cyrillic alphabet backwards. The next step requires a chicken and a good knowledge of Santeria. Get a plastic drop sheet; it gets messy.

For the record, I had reset AND turned off all the service reminders via the so-called touch screen which did nothing to make the icon go away. You have to go through this obscure song and dance to get the icon to turn off. Left hand, meet right hand...

Same here last time I did my 2018. It was bugging me because resetting in the maintenance settings screen did nothing, but I see eaestrom mention that after a software update the maintenance screen reset works. I wonder if he's referring to the NA_70.00.021x firmware update for android auto/carplay(uhm)

Same here last time I did my 2018. It was bugging me because resetting in the maintenance settings screen did nothing, but I see eaestrom mention that after a software update the maintenance screen reset works. I wonder if he's referring to the NA_70.00.021x firmware update for android auto/carplay(uhm)

I have the Android Auto update. I did my first oil change (2nd for the car) and reset everything in Mazda Connect. Now periodically when I start the car I get a "Service Overdue" message that stays up for 10 or 20 seconds and then goes away. I've reset and then disabled service reminders in Mazda Connect. After the overdue message goes away the display shows the appropriate miles to oil change and such.

Hmm, brand new 2019 GTR here and I am getting maintenance due soon on the screen every time I start up. I mean WTF, its 6 weeks old with 700 miles on it. Maintence due, really? Gotta be a bug.

Is this reset procedure real and will it mess up my *real* maintenance schedule?

The OP lives in Canada. The TSB applies to 2107-2018 Canadian spec vehicles:

attachment.php

Back