Fuel Odor Inside Car

ricksmz5

Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5
I've seen a lot of discussion regarding this issue with the Protege 5- the plastic top of the fuel pump body cracks and leaks fuel. I have a "mystery fuel odor" with my car- no visible liquid on tank or lines. My neighborhood mechanic couldn't find it. As a last resort, took it to the Mazda dealer- I about choked from the smell on the way there- with all windows down. Wife said she could definitely smell it on my clothes! They had it for two days and "could not duplicate the problem". Got it back yesterday, and have driven it 100 miles- no fuel odor so far. It will need gas this weekend, so I'll see if a full tank makes a difference.

Not really- it's back to 1/2 tank now. I get a mild whiff every now and then, but it hasn't choked me like it did last week. Going to spend the time this weekend to pull the back seat.

Fuel pump access is under the middle row- passenger side seat. Four bolts on seat, cut 8" L-shape in carpet, four screws on hatch. No sign of fuel leak-dusty. Ran car and wiggled fuel line and electrical connector- no smell. Took it to a third mechanic Monday, and they could not duplicate the problem. They allegedly smoke-tested and found nothing. Has been ok until on the way home this evening. Could it be the vapor canister or the purge solenoid? I would think a problem with either of those would set a trouble code? I think I'll likely get rid of the car before I blindly start replacing parts...

Back