17" Miata rims on CX-5

:
2016.5 CX-5 sport
Hi there,
I am wondering what 17" NC miata rims would look like on my 2016 CX-5. I searched the forum and noted a few instances of people saying that have installed them (gap between the front caliper and the back of the rim is a little tight) but I noted there were no pictures. Does anyone with this set up have a picture they could share?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,
I am wondering what 17" NC miata rims would look like on my 2016 CX-5. I searched the forum and noted a few instances of people saying that have installed them (gap between the front caliper and the back of the rim is a little tight) but I noted there were no pictures. Does anyone with this set up have a picture they could share?

Thanks in advance!

I wondered this once also, but believe I got stuck at the point where I was comparing the actual load rating of the Miata wheel, and it did not meet the load rating requirements of the CX-5.

The MX-5 WHEEL has more than enough load rating for the CX-5. Not true for the MX-5 tire - which is too small and rated for the load of the smaller and lighter Miata.

The required CX-5 tire (it will provide the required load rating) for a 17" wheel is either: 225/65/17 or somewhat less ideal, but still acceptable: 215/65/17

Just for reference:
MX-5 (2006-8 5 lug): center bore = 67.1mm; lug spacing = 5x114mm; offset = 55mm (or 48mm for the 7.5in wide rims)
CX-5: center bore = 67.1mm; lug spacing = 5x114mm; offset = 45mm

The MX-5 wheels should work great with the right tires - no hub centric rings required

Yeah my OEM miata rims are on the miata right now, however its 50 miles away and in storage for the winter. My plan is to put the 225/65/17 Geolanders on the Miata rims, as I have snows on the OEM CX-5 rims right now and I have new rims for the miata.

I'll post an update in the spring when i have the miata back in my hands. Load wise I think its fine. Someone had their miata rims on a Mazda5, which weighs more than the CX-5.

When I bought my previous 2014 CX-5 I lucked into a excellent deal on a brand new set of discontinued 17" CX-7 alloy rims from the dealer. They look great and with a good coat of wax/protectant on a regular basis should last me for years through our salty winter road environment up here in Canada.

Last edited:
got my miata out of storage and finally and its warming up here in Mass. Put the NC rims on the cx-5 all seasons and they work great. No issues at all and same stance as the CX5 rims, which are now mounted on my winters for the long term.

Attachments

• cx5 miata rims.PNG
    cx5 miata rims.PNG
    255.1 KB · Views: 324
They look good on the CX-5, a nice subtle change.

What wheels did you get for the Miata?

Keep in mind that there are benefits and a possible deficit to reducing your unsprung weight by swapping heavier for lighter wheels.

Benefits: Faster acceleration
Improved braking

Deficit: A bit more transmitted road noise

OEM MX5 wheels (NC gen) weigh about 17 lbs each.
My Mazda 3 OEM 18-inch wheels weigh 27 lbs each, whereas my Enkei Racing wheels weigh a tad over 17 lbs each (a 37% reduction in weight)
Acceleration is noticeably improved. Some of the added road noise is offset by my new Pirelli tires, though.

Keep in mind that there are benefits and a possible deficit to reducing your unsprung weight by swapping heavier for lighter wheels.

Benefits: Faster acceleration
Improved braking

Deficit: A bit more transmitted road noise

OEM MX5 wheels (NC gen) weigh about 17 lbs each.
My Mazda 3 OEM 18-inch wheels weigh 27 lbs each, whereas my Enkei Racing wheels weigh a tad over 17 lbs each (a 37% reduction in weight)
Acceleration is noticeably improved. Some of the added road noise is offset by my new Pirelli tires, though.

So far no more road noise that I can perceive, however I just came off noisy Sumitoro winter tires. It does feel more peppy for sure

Many rubbers and plastics harden with age, so sound transmission tends to increase over time. Add the fact that winter tires have larger separations between thread blocks, and it means you are better off now on all fronts.

There is a 5mm difference in offset with the MX-5 wheels having 55mm. Also, the 2006-08 MX-5 wheels bend easily on MX-5s, get '09 or later wheels, they are stronger. I had 5 of 8 '06 wheels bent in the inner rim. The 4 best ones are running my winter tires. Lighter weight should give a less harsh ride.

There is a 5mm difference in offset with the MX-5 wheels having 55mm. Also, the 2006-08 MX-5 wheels bend easily on MX-5s, get '09 or later wheels, they are stronger. I had 5 of 8 '06 wheels bent in the inner rim. The 4 best ones are running my winter tires. Lighter weight should give a less harsh ride.

agree but a lot of the flex has to do with the 45 series tires. the tires carry the bulk of the load so should work fine. So far no issues at all. Lighter and easier.

Back