First oil change notes

Yeah I won't argue about the lack of precision on that front.

My point was its easier to just get a 5 quart jug and call it good. Over the years, seems to be that's the consensus, so I wouldn't worry about getting more precise than that. Do you put 5 whole bottles of Mazda Moly in for your oil changes Yrwei? Do you put in 5 and like .2 of a 6th bottle?

Just saying there's no need to worry too much there.

On the other hand, the ATF has a very precise measurement on it's dipstick, and it was definitely filled low from the factory. I also noticed that none of the dealers topped up the coolant reservoir when we were looking at used ones a week and half ago. They were all below the L. That's a little more irritating.
After topping off the factory-filled engine oil to the Full mark, I settle for 5 quarts of moly for oil change but that just being lazy as Im getting older. 10 years ago Id use the 6th bottle of moly making sure the oil level is at the Full mark! But I still make sure the oil level is at Full mark with given capacity after the oil change on my other vehicles.

With all the fluids filled below the Full mark from factory, if I was the owner of a Mazda dealer I wouldnt bother to top off EVERY new CX-5 for all EXPENSIVE fluids with my own expense. Im actually amazed this finding that Mazda fills most fluids below the Full mark except the brake fluid and front transfer case gear oil, and relies on its dealers to top off every new vehicle if theyre willing to during the pre-delivery inspection. Penny wise, pound foolish, IMO.

I ended up buying one quart of the same oil I used, Castrol 0W-20 Long Life full synthetic. I can use the quart bottle to top off 3 oil changes. I have one of those measuring cups that has CC, so it is easy to get just the right amount in. I am going to add 125cc, check after a half hour then add 100ccc, check after a half our and then add 50cc. I am doing it in 3 parts to make sure I don't over fill. The next oil change I will dump in the 5 quarts and then add 275cc, or whatever I find fills it tonight. After that I will probably just put in 5 quarts and call it good enough.
On another note, I am getting better fuel mileage after changing the oil. I think the car must have had heavier oil in it from the factory. I made a trip to my Walmart and I got 34mpg on the 'This Trip' monitor. I didn't accelerate very fast and it was also warmer today, maybe that made a difference in the mpg too.

I ended up putting in 425cc, and the oil level is still 1/8" lower than full. I think my oil pan must hold 5.5 quarts. There are 946cc in a quart, and half of that is 473cc. I put in 425cc and it is about 1/8" below the full mark.
I took apart my filter to see what it captured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiwpDUlW27g
5.3 quarts is an estimate someone was trying to fill up to the Full mark on a 2015 CX-5 2.5L. I personally have been put 5 quarts of oil at every oil change, topped off only once to the factory fill. You must drained old oil very completely without any ramp. 5.5 quarts with very precise measurement is the first I have seen. I do believe the oil capacity on 2018 CX-5 2.5L is the same as earlier models. May be you can check your oil level again the first thing in the morning before start the engine and the oil level may rise to the Full mark.

Several people had showed pictures of different OEM oil filters from CX-5 been cut open on Bob is the Oil Guy. But thiss the first video Ive seen. Excellent and strong oil filter as we can see from your video.

Wish you can have a close shot of part number on oil filter inhstalled from factory at beginning. It should be PE01-14-302B Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filter which has never been available in the US.

Actually there's a newer PE01-14-302B oil filter in Japan used in 2017 CX-5. Not sure if this revised "B" version Japanese made oil filter would be available in the US?

attachment.php

View attachment 216907

5.3 quarts is an estimate someone was trying to fill up to the Full mark on a 2015 CX-5 2.5L. I personally have been put 5 quarts of oil at every oil change, topped off only once to the factory fill. You must drained old oil very completely without any ramp. 5.5 quarts with very precise measurement is the first I have seen. I do believe the oil capacity on 2018 CX-5 2.5L is the same as earlier models. May be you can check your oil level again the first thing in the morning before start the engine and the oil level may rise to the Full mark.

Several people had showed pictures of different OEM oil filters from CX-5 been cut open on Bob is the Oil Guy. But this*s the first video I*ve seen. Excellent and strong oil filter as we can see from your video.

Wish you can have a close shot of part number on oil filter inhstalled from factory at beginning. It should be PE01-14-302B Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filter which has never been available in the US.

Thanks. I have a closer view of the filter in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9RgEPOXxFE
The OEM Thailand filter doesn't have metal end caps, the filter material can be seen through the holes.

Back