Any higher mileage 2nd Gen CX-9's out there?

Besides oil changes and replacing rear brake pads, i did have problem with the hissing and squeaky front brakes (The dealership replaced the brake pads + rotors but the problem still came back from time to time). The windshield has a lot of chips (some called it a sugar glass here in the forum:)). Other than that, everything is good.

Agree on the windshield. I've already picked up two sizable chips in 1500 miles. Of course one is right in line of driver sight. This glass is supposed to be thicker sound insulating glass so I hope when it's replacement time it they can get the proper OEM glass.. Not sure why this seems to brittle.

Not my vehicle but was at my local Mazda dealership for an oil change last month and the service guy told me that they were also servicing another CX-9 (2016 MY) that was just beaten down in terms of use with high mileage (over 160K kms) and since they were curious so the mechanic took apart the turbo, apparently to see if there was any damage or deterioration and actually found it still intact and in excellent condition. I guess just a testament to the reliability and longevity of Mazda engines despite the DPT being a new design...

My 2016 currently has 72,000 Miles. Nothing major so far, just the usual wear and tear parts. Done synthetic oil changes every 5000 miles, top tier gas only, replaced tires once, rear brake pads twice, front pads once. Spark plugs replaced at 40,000. Only had one software update done to resolve the hesitation at startup. Haven't done the fuel induction service yet as there has been a lot of debate about that if it's just a way for service depts to make money or is there real advantage especially if you are using top tier fuel. Other than that she has been solid vehicle.

My 2016 currently has 72,000 Miles. Nothing major so far, just the usual wear and tear parts. Done synthetic oil changes every 5000 miles, top tier gas only, replaced tires once, rear brake pads twice, front pads once. Spark plugs replaced at 40,000. Only had one software update done to resolve the hesitation at startup. Haven't done the fuel induction service yet as there has been a lot of debate about that if it's just a way for service depts to make money or is there real advantage especially if you are using top tier fuel. Other than that she has been solid vehicle.
Thanks Morenar
Interesting about rear brakes. Have you noticed any unusual excess wear on them? I would imagine front brakes give out more frequently.

I think that the cruise control uses the rear brakes to slow down, given that the rear brakes are tasked with slowing down such a large vehicle it wouldn't surprise me that they need to be serviced more often.

I think that the cruise control uses the rear brakes to slow down, given that the rear brakes are tasked with slowing down such a large vehicle it wouldn't surprise me that they need to be serviced more often.
Thanks YCT. Man, I learn new things every day!

I have a 2016 Signature with 88 K. Mostly highway miles, I have a long commute. I change oil every 5K, fuel service at 45K, brake flushes, replaced tires at 66K, transmission service at 70K, doing plugs now, but basically this car is amazing. Brakes still good and gets 25 mpg. This is one of the lowest maintenance cars I've owned.

I have a 2016 Signature with 88 K. Mostly highway miles, I have a long commute. I change oil every 5K, fuel service at 45K, brake flushes, replaced tires at 66K, transmission service at 70K, doing plugs now, but basically this car is amazing. Brakes still good and gets 25 mpg. This is one of the lowest maintenance cars I've owned.
Sixspeed, I was told the transmission doesn't need to be serviced. How did you get it done?

Thanks Morenar
Interesting about rear brakes. Have you noticed any unusual excess wear on them? I would imagine front brakes give out more frequently.
EmmanuelN, as YCT stated there is a lot more use of the rear brakes from what I have been told on the CX-9. I was concerned of possible dragging but that was checked out and everything was fine.

Found this 2016 with 157,000 miles!

The listing is filled with low quality pics like it was shot with a 10 year old phone. Great to see this type of mileage though. Only obvious wear is the paint coming off the wheels (an issue from very early models). 40,000 miles a year! My 2018 is just at 28,000 mi and I've gone from MA to FL and back twice.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...akeCode1=MAZDA&modelCode1=CX-9&dealerId=68023

bbe82c0634214ce4a0aac007a101c19e.jpg

Last edited:
Found this 2016 with 157,000 miles!

The listing is filled with low quality pics like it was shot with 10 year old phone. Great to see this type of mileage though. Only obvious wear is the paint coming of the wheels (an issue from very early models). 40,000 miles a year! My 2018 is just at 28,000 mi and I've gone from MA to FL and back twice.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...akeCode1=MAZDA&modelCode1=CX-9&dealerId=68023

View attachment 226572

Looks to be in pretty good shape, aside from the wheel paint, infotainment screen defect (that I think has an open recall?) and the driver's seat leather/bolsters near the entry/egress point.

Looks to be in pretty good shape, aside from the wheel paint, infotainment screen defect (that I think has an open recall?) and the driver's seat leather/bolsters near the entry/egress point.

Yeah, looks great for 157K miles. Actually less wear on the left side of the driver seat than I'd expect on soft Nappa leather. The center armrest looks brand new which I can't believe.

Too bad this owner wasn't a member here to talk about it and share what repairs have been needed etc. I can only assume the 2.5T has stood up well which the naysayers might be surprised by.

I am new to this forum but was very active in Honda. I traded up a 2013 Honda Pilot Ex-l AWD to a 2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD. It had one corporate owner no accidents and was well cared for. Regular maintenance and Carfax looked very clean. I bought it at 88,500 miles which is high except I did my research. Mazda committed to changing things, not only to the engine but also the transmission. On my first 100 miles I can report it is a smooth ride with no sluggishness nor issues with drivetrain. It has weathered the 88k very well from what I can tell. I only moved to Mazda again from Honda because of what Mazda did in 2nd Gen CX-9s. I owned the B2400 Mazda PU in the 90’s and am very pleased to come back to the zoom zoom. So, yeah, they will last to at least 88k with no real issues. Now on to that Bose stereo system. I am not sure why they don’t just put an actual crossover in these and call it good. Mediocre mid range sounds which are loud but drown out every other sound. That is my next adventure. Will keep you posted.

Search didn't bring anything up so thought I would ask. Now that this SkyActive Turbo 4 has been around for a few years has anybody racked up any big miles on it? Over 60-80k miles maybe? New owner and really like the car and hope this engine will last without many issues. People always take shots at small turbo engines as far as reliability goes. Not sure why.

Back