Any higher mileage 2nd Gen CX-9's out there?

Montanaman

Montana/Arizona
:
2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT
Search didn't bring anything up so thought I would ask. Now that this SkyActive Turbo 4 has been around for a few years has anybody racked up any big miles on it? Over 60-80k miles maybe? New owner and really like the car and hope this engine will last without many issues. People always take shots at small turbo engines as far as reliability goes. Not sure why.

I have 50K on mine. Been rock solid.

Wow, you do some driving. You must of bought yours soon after launch?

I have a lot of faith in this engine. Mazda didn't just take the existing 2.5 and slap a turbo on it. They strengthened the whole thing to accommodate the extra power and heat. They've put a lot of stock in this engine which is now in half the lineup (in turbo form).

I would like to also know if any of these owners of second gen with over 50k have had any issues with control arms, water pump and the big one the transfer case and transmission

I would like to also know if any of these owners of second gen with over 50k have had any issues with control arms, water pump and the big one the transfer case and transmission

I know you said 50k+ but FWIW, I am probably on the higher mileage accumulation side as well, mine is a '17 and I am sitting right at 22k miles over a year of usage. Just had the latest service done, and other than infotainment, cabin filter and patched tire, vehicle has been flawless. I am appreciating this purchase more and more every day.

Last edited:
38k on a 16 model. No issues so far. Im planning to do the $22/each plugs at 40k with a local mechanic. If all goes as planned this will be our family of four hauler for the next ten years or so.

A couple of things I forgot to add. Since a couple of you have reached 40k or more has anyone had any problems with the wheel bearings and also has anyone serviced the transfer case since I read on this forum that the t-case has a fill as well as a drain plug.

A couple of things I forgot to add. Since a couple of you have reached 40k or more has anyone had any problems with the wheel bearings and also has anyone serviced the transfer case since I read on this forum that the t-case has a fill as well as a drain plug.

People keep bringing up issues that the 1st gen had assuming the 2nd gen may have those issues, like the transfer case. The 2nd gen is a completely different vehicle, a Mazda from the ground up. The 1st gen was half Ford.

The only issue I have is with the rear wiper motor coming out on me.

Drove 1200 miles over Xmas and she was rock solid.

JPL you seem to have a lot of information on this new engine. Could you tell me where you got the info from. I would like to read on that and if you have also the information on the transfer case i would like that too.

JPL you seem to have a lot of information on this new engine. Could you tell me where you got the info from. I would like to read on that and if you have also the information on the transfer case i would like that too.

I'm just pointing out that we can't confuse both generations of CX-9. The transfer case had issues in the first generation but just remember that the 2nd generation is no longer a shared architecture with Ford. The current generation of Mazda's is a whole different company than the last generation of vehicles 100% Mazda design and engineering and are near the top in reliability. The basic engine in the CX-9 is a well proven engine, the difference being the turbo setup. The engine was strengthened for this application and I have a lot of confidence to its longevity. We'll have to wait and see until people start getting past 100K to ultimately see how it stacks up long-term. No one can know yet.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone comes across the dreaded carbon deposit build up. Mazda supposedly has a system that mitigates that issue but time will tell. I'm beginning to think some of that is over-blown paranoia.

This is good to hear. Just oil changes? How often if you don't mind me asking?

Besides oil changes and replacing rear brake pads, i did have problem with the hissing and squeaky front brakes (The dealership replaced the brake pads + rotors but the problem still came back from time to time). The windshield has a lot of chips (some called it a sugar glass here in the forum:)). Other than that, everything is good.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone comes across the dreaded carbon deposit build up. Mazda supposedly has a system that mitigates that issue but time will tell. I'm beginning to think some of that is over-blown paranoia.

I had our 2016 de-carboned at 30,000 miles as part of a 30,000 mile service. While it wasnt a recommended service from the dealer, I was curious as to how things were looking. Good news, dealer said there was very minimal carbon buildup and didnt recommend doing it when we reach 60,000 miles (currently at 38,000).

Only issues so far have been non-powertrain related: infotainment (finally seems fixed), rear spring, squeaky brakes, and a shifty door seal.

Carbon deposit buildup on the intake valves is something that I remember being an often-discussed topic from my GTI and BMW ownership days. The general consensus I found was that carbon buildup certainly occurs and if you want to get your valves cleaned, do it about every ~60k miles (or more frequently for vehicles running aftermarket tunes). However, waiting longer doesn't necessarily hurt either. That, and as direct injection engines have continued to improve, the carbon buildup problem has become less of a concern.

I ran my last vehicle, a BMW 335i, up to ~75k miles and never felt the need to clean the intake valves. The car pulled strong up until the day I traded it in for the Mazda (and boy do I miss it!). Never a misfire or hiccup and that sweet N55 turbocharged inline-6 motor saw the upper rev range frequently. I admit that I'll probably get another once my CX-9 lease is up. I miss it too much, haha.

Anyway, As it relates to Mazda and the 2.5T specifically, here's some info from a Mazda engineering in an interview (https://www.savagegeese.com/reviews/mazda-cx-9):
Carbon buildup on DI intake valves has two contributors. The oil itself getting on the valves, and the valves being at a temperature that promotes the formation of hard deposits.

We've dramatically reduced the oil in the intake stream compared to our last DI Turbo through several measures. First, oil blowing past turbo seals directly into the intake stream has been reduced with better turbo oil seals and lower oil pressure in the turbo itself. Actual blow-by has been reduced across the board with SKYACTIV engines by improving the roundness of the cylinder bores through improved analysis of casting, machining and assembly stresses that can slightly warp the bores. Taking this into account in the design process has given us much better blow-by performance.

Finally, the realization of the sensitivity to intake valve temperature has allowed us to design the cylinder head structure, cooling system and calibration to manage intake valve temperatures to prevent carbon buildup.

Otherwise, there is the theory (though unproven as far as I know) that a good ol' occasional "Italian tune-up" can knock and burn off some carbon buildup (or at least enough of it) on the intake valves if you feel the need to do so. That said, I think most research shows it doesn't actually do much. It's just fun to drive at higher revs from time to time.

Carbon deposit buildup on the intake valves is something that I remember being an often-discussed topic from my GTI and BMW ownership days. The general consensus I found was that carbon buildup certainly occurs and if you want to get your valves cleaned, do it about every ~60k miles (or more frequently for vehicles running aftermarket tunes). However, waiting longer doesn't necessarily hurt either. That, and as direct injection engines have continued to improve, the carbon buildup problem has become less of a concern.

I ran my last vehicle, a BMW 335i, up to ~75k miles and never felt the need to clean the intake valves. The car pulled strong up until the day I traded it in for the Mazda (and boy do I miss it!). Never a misfire or hiccup and that sweet N55 turbocharged inline-6 motor saw the upper rev range frequently. I admit that I'll probably get another once my CX-9 lease is up. I miss it too much, haha.

Anyway, As it relates to Mazda and the 2.5T specifically, here's some info from a Mazda engineering in an interview (https://www.savagegeese.com/reviews/mazda-cx-9):
Carbon buildup on DI intake valves has two contributors. The oil itself getting on the valves, and the valves being at a temperature that promotes the formation of hard deposits.

We've dramatically reduced the oil in the intake stream compared to our last DI Turbo through several measures. First, oil blowing past turbo seals directly into the intake stream has been reduced with better turbo oil seals and lower oil pressure in the turbo itself. Actual blow-by has been reduced across the board with SKYACTIV engines by improving the roundness of the cylinder bores through improved analysis of casting, machining and assembly stresses that can slightly warp the bores. Taking this into account in the design process has given us much better blow-by performance.

Finally, the realization of the sensitivity to intake valve temperature has allowed us to design the cylinder head structure, cooling system and calibration to manage intake valve temperatures to prevent carbon buildup.

Otherwise, there is the theory (though unproven as far as I know) that a good ol' occasional "Italian tune-up" can knock and burn off some carbon buildup (or at least enough of it) on the intake valves if you feel the need to do so. That said, I think most research shows it doesn't actually do much. It's just fun to drive at higher revs from time to time.

Thanks for the info. I won't start to think about it until I hut 50k miles or so. At that point I will be able to decide if this is a 10 year car or a 5 year car for us.

I had that same N55 engine in my 2011 535i and I feel your pain. It's what they did so well with their in-line 6's. Brilliant motor.

I had that same N55 engine in my 2011 535i and I feel your pain. It's what they did so well with their in-line 6's. Brilliant motor.

Thanks for the info, good to know. Funny that you guys mention the N55 engines. Im having a very hard time fighting the urge to buy a convertible M235i, rwd with 6-speed (for my wife, of course, hah). It looks like so much fun and cant find one negative review of it. That little car uses the same N55. The M240i that replaced it in 17 uses the B58 engine. Im glad to hear you liked yours so much.

I realize it would be a totally irresponsible decision for a family with a toddler, a newborn & a big dog but you gotta have fun, right? My motorcycle has been collecting dust in the garage since the bigger one was born in 2016.

Back