Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: a year later, still averaging 20 MPG on 2018 GT AWD Mazda CX-5. Is that normal?

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GT w/PP

I*ve had the car for almost four weeks now and getting 28.8 mpg average. Lowest has been 26.1 city and highest 32.2 combined after 900 miles with the 2.5L CX-5 GT

I was expecting there would be a break in period and the MPG to vary later on but based on some comments, I see that might not be the case. So it means my actual mileage should stay about the same even a year from now if I keep driving the same way? Also, how much does summer heat affect gas mileage?

Donated: $5

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Soul Red/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by CarIsCool View Post
    I*ve had the car for almost four weeks now and getting 28.8 mpg average. Lowest has been 26.1 city and highest 32.2 combined after 900 miles with the 2.5L CX-5 GT

I was expecting there would be a break in period and the MPG to vary later on but based on some comments, I see that might not be the case. So it means my actual mileage should stay about the same even a year from now if I keep driving the same way? Also, how much does summer heat affect gas mileage?
    I think the jury is still out on break in period. I've got a '16 FWD (so my numbers are overall higher) but I've used Fuelly to track mpg since day 1 with mine and I can state the following:

2015 (6 months) 6,200 miles 32.9 mpg
    2016 11,095 miles 33.1 mpg
    2017 10,266 miles 34.4 mpg
    2018 7,858 miles 34.2 mpg

Oil changes were done at 5000, 12500, 20000, 27500 and 32500. Always Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil.

So I saw about a 1 mpg increase sometime after my 2nd oil change. Others haven't seen it but I have. YMMV.

My mileage gets slightly better in the summer since summer blend gas has more energy content than winter blend.

I'd say the jury had reached a verdict. Your numbers are close enough to prove there's no difference.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Side note: When I was at the San Diego auto show, recently I noticed that the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid averages 39 MPG. Its EPA rating is 41/37/39. Now THAT'S impressive for an SUV!
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    Side note: When I was at the San Diego auto show, recently I noticed that the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid averages 39 MPG. Its EPA rating is 41/37/39. Now THAT'S impressive for an SUV!
    And new Toyota RAV4 Hybrid also has more power than non-hybrid RAV4 with sport suspension, thatís something new too!

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    I don't think it is an SUV, just a CUV. Still, if a high MPG CUV is the most important thing to you, then that RAV4 Hybrid is going to be tough to beat.

I love the hybrid MPG, looking forward to the Mazda's hybrids coming to USA next year!

My thoughts always turn to the resale value of hybrids, as it is likely that it will be the second owner that is going to bear the cost of the battery replacement.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by CarIsCool View Post

Fellow Texan here. Usually mileage improves in summer. Gas is formulated differently and has slightly more energy but the real benefit comes from the weather having less wind than in the winter and shorter engine warm up times. In theory hot summer air is less dense and that works against you, but the other factors negate it.

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Soul Red/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    I'd say the jury had reached a verdict. Your numbers are close enough to prove there's no difference.
    I find it interesting how different people interpret the same data so differently. You see no difference, while I see an increase of 4% for the last 2 years versus the first 1-1/2 years.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by brillo54 View Post
    I find it interesting how different people interpret the same data so differently. You see no difference, while I see an increase of 4% for the last 2 years versus the first 1-1/2 years.
    Yeah, I think that is pretty good actually. The question is if the improvements come from the engine breaking in or you learning how to eek the most MPG out of it. For me, I also saw ~5% increase in MPG but think some of it came from learning how to milk the MPG. For example, when I first got the car, I would drive slowly from a stop to try to get the best mileage but that was the wrong thing to do. Instead, getting up to speed fast and then maintaining speed was the best method for good MPG.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

The trip computer bases it*s calculations on the way the car is driven over set periods one minute intervals. You can follow them in the bar chart on the app screen. If you drive carefully, the economy will be up and if you drive hard it will be down. It continues to build an average since the last reset and the longer that is, the less the current average will effect it. So, if the average over 10 miles is say 25 and you hammer the car for a few minutes the average will start to drop. However, if the average is 25 over 1000 miles it will take a lot longer to respond to changes in driving style.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GT w/PP

I think the jury is still out on break in period. I've got a '16 FWD (so my numbers are overall higher) but I've used Fuelly to track mpg since day 1 with mine and I can state the following:

2015 (6 months) 6,200 miles 32.9 mpg
    2016 11,095 miles 33.1 mpg
    2017 10,266 miles 34.4 mpg
    2018 7,858 miles 34.2 mpg

Oil changes were done at 5000, 12500, 20000, 27500 and 32500. Always Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil.

So I saw about a 1 mpg increase sometime after my 2nd oil change. Others haven't seen it but I have. YMMV.

My mileage gets slightly better in the summer since summer blend gas has more energy content than winter blend.
    Thanks Brillo, that is helpful information.
    Will look more closely to the MPG average after my 1st or second oil change

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GT w/PP

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    Fellow Texan here. Usually mileage improves in summer. Gas is formulated differently and has slightly more energy but the real benefit comes from the weather having less wind than in the winter and shorter engine warm up times. In theory hot summer air is less dense and that works against you, but the other factors negate it.
    So you know how hot can it get driving the summer around here I didn*t knew gas was formulated differently on the summer and makes sense now why gas prices always increase just before and during the summer

Me too. You have to account for a margin of error. Let's say 2%. Hell, let's just say 1. Plus, let's add in other factors. You know that car a whole lot better today then you did when you bought it. How much of that improvement is due to your driving habit vs a broken in engine? Minimum 1% (I'd say 2 minimum, but let's go 1). What about environmental factors? We've had milder Winters and hotter summers the past few years. Could that be a factor? .3%?
    So now were at 1.7% improvement. Pfft. Nothing.
    Last edited by 7eregrine; 02-07-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

keep it clean thanks. Nelson stop flaming 7eregrine. Alles in ordnung

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by mazdadude View Post
    I don't think it is an SUV, just a CUV. Still, if a high MPG CUV is the most important thing to you, then that RAV4 Hybrid is going to be tough to beat.

I love the hybrid MPG, looking forward to the Mazda's hybrids coming to USA next year!

My thoughts always turn to the resale value of hybrids, as it is likely that it will be the second owner that is going to bear the cost of the battery replacement.
    Resale is very good for Toyota hybrids in general because the batteries rarely fail before 250,000 miles. New York taxis (at least when I was there a few years ago) are primarily Camry and Prius vehicles. Most are using NiMH batteries but I'm sure lithium batteries approved by Toyota are going to last a long time. The average owner sells his or her car long before 250K miles.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast