Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64

Thread: a year later, still averaging 20 MPG on 2018 GT AWD Mazda CX-5. Is that normal?

  1. #31
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    4,831
    LoL. No, I'm saying it is real time. When you're running the app, it gives you mileage for that trip. But your overall mileage in the cluster is between resets.

  2. #32
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    LoL. No, I'm saying it is real time. When you're running the app, it gives you mileage for that trip. But your overall mileage in the cluster is between resets.
    Both true. But the app also gives an overall, or can be set to sync with trip A resets. At least on the 17.

  3. #33
    Resident Curmudgeon brillo54's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Soul Red/Parchment

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Both true. But the app also gives an overall, or can be set to sync with trip A resets. At least on the 17.
    This is true for the '16 as well. Bottom bar graph is the last five averages, including the current (changes with reset).

  4. #34
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 2018

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Jose CA
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Op did not state how many miles is his city driving commute. I mean if you drive 1 mile per day in stop in go city driving you will average like 16mpgs lol.
    I average about 11miles - 15 miles per commute.

    And yes I do reset the A trip calculator after each fill up.

    And from what I am gathering my low milage can be due to several factors but mainly to short trips, city driving (constant traffic lights, stop and go etc), and my driving style (which can be a little aggressive at times, but once you live in the Bay Area you understand why lol )

    So i guess i'll be happy with my 20MPG average lol

    Thanks for all the input guys.

  5. #35
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,378

    Arrow a year later, still averaging 20 MPG on 2018 GT AWD Mazda CX-5. Is that normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by INeverFreeze View Post
    I average about 11miles - 15 miles per commute.
    My wife drives 11 miles / 40 minutes per communite to work with all local road and many traffic lights, but her 2016 CX-5 AWD still gets 25~26 mpg. In theory your 2018 CX-5 AWD 2.5L helped with cylinder deactivation should get better mileage than our 2016 CX-5 and IMO 20 mpg definitely is unacceptable. I’d bring this issue up to Mazda dealer for warranty service at next convenience to make a record at least.

    I don’t buy the theory that the gas mileage would be improved greatly after break-in period or a year of driving as you have found out. The gas mileage on our CX-5 has never changed since new.

    ⋯ and my driving style (which can be a little aggressive at times, but once you live in the Bay Area you understand why lol )
    Yeah I thought drivers in Dallas area are very aggressive. But after we drove our 1998 Honda CR-V from Dallas to San Jose a few days ago, yes drivers in Bay Area are much more aggressive than in Dallas area!

    So i guess i'll be happy with my 20MPG average lol
    No, you shouldn't be happy with 20 mpg on you 2018 CX-5 AWD with cylinder deactivation. Something is wrong and hopefully your Mazda dealer can find out where the problem is when you complain the issue.

  6. #36
    Registered Member

    2007 Mazda 3 5-door

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    63
    You really have to drive like the world’s most cautious grandma to get the stated mileage (something almost nobody does, even if you have an Eco mode), under some set of completely optimal conditions (terrain, road conditions, temperature, altitude). That’s been true of every car I’ve ever owned. Most people are not driving under optimal conditions.

    When I see a stated mileage I subtract a couple mpg for that, then another 3-4 in the city for me knowing that I don’t like to waste time getting up to speed.

    I just got a 2019 CX-5 GTR which states city mpg of 22. Sure enough, I’m getting about 17 in city driving on my first 3 tanks.
    Last edited by Nigel Tufnel; 02-04-2019 at 04:08 PM.

  7. #37
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I don’t buy the theory that the gas mileage would be improved greatly after break-in period or a year of driving as you have found out. The gas mileage on our CX-5 has never changed since new.
    Agree.

    No, you shouldn't be happy with 20 mpg on you 2018 CX-5 AWD with cylinder deactivation. Something is wrong and hopefully your Mazda dealer can find out where the problem is when you complain the issue.
    Disagree. Every single commute is different. Too many factors to say unequivocally that it's off. He needs to drive more then 15 miles to get better readings.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  8. #38
    Registered Member

    2007 Mazda 3 5-door

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    No, you shouldn't be happy with 20 mpg on you 2018 CX-5 AWD with cylinder deactivation.
    I think the poster stated it was almost all city driving? So I doubt cylinder deactivation is much of a factor, if at all.

  9. #39
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,378

    Arrow a year later, still averaging 20 MPG on 2018 GT AWD Mazda CX-5. Is that normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    You really have to drive like the world’s most cautious grandma to get the stated mileage (something almost nobody does, even if you have an Eco mode), under some set of completely optimal conditions (terrain, road conditions, temperature, altitude). That’s been true of every car I’ve ever owned. Most people are not driving under optimal conditions.

    When I see a stated mileage I subtract a couple mpg for that, then another 3-4 in the city for me knowing that I don’t like to waste time getting up to speed.

    I just got a 2019 CX-5 GTR which states city mpg of 22. Sure enough, I’m getting about 17 in city driving on my first 3 tanks.
    Apparently you're an aggressive driver, but OP is not and aggressive only when necessary. You have a 2.5T which will use a lot more gas than a naturally aspirated engine when you drive very aggressively and keep the turbo spinning all the time. OP doesn't have a turbo to suck more gas for power. Just ask those 2018 CX-5 owners who gets only 20 mpg average under any circumstances.

  10. #40
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,378

    Arrow a year later, still averaging 20 MPG on 2018 GT AWD Mazda CX-5. Is that normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Agree.
    We finally agreed on something!

    Disagree. Every single commute is different. Too many factors to say unequivocally that it's off. He needs to drive more then 15 miles to get better readings.
    Better reading or not, his average MPG is only 20 for the entire year. That's very poor for a CX-5 with 2.5L. As I said before my wife's commute is only 11 miles similar to OP, but our CX-5 gets 25~26 mpg. Have you ever got average 20 mpg from your CX-5?

  11. #41
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,378

    Arrow a year later, still averaging 20 MPG on 2018 GT AWD Mazda CX-5. Is that normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I think the poster stated it was almost all city driving? So I doubt cylinder deactivation is much of a factor, if at all.
    Mazda says its cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, and can only be activated between 25~50 mph to improve fuel economy. If its CD can't help gas mileage at low-speed city driving, why we need this complicated cylinder deactivation system which also carries bad reputation on reliability?

  12. #42
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Mazda says its cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, and can only be activated between 25~50 mph to improve fuel economy. If its CD can't help gas mileage at low-speed city driving, why we need this complicated cylinder deactivation system which also carries bad reputation on reliability?
    This again?

    (popcorn)
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 80k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

  13. #43
    Registered Member

    2007 Mazda 3 5-door

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Mazda says its cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, and can only be activated between 25~50 mph to improve fuel economy. If its CD can't help gas mileage at low-speed city driving, why we need this complicated cylinder deactivation system which also carries bad reputation on reliability?
    Yeah sorry, I was under the impression that cylinder deactivation came into play only at highway speeds, which is wrong. However, I did read something about a “constant 25 mph” being the optimal condition for it, not sure how much you’ll experience that in “city” driving. I guess it depends on your drive. For me “city” driving is hardly ever a constant anything, let alone 25 mph. If you can go 2 blocks at a constant speed, you’re lucky.

  14. #44
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,378

    Arrow a year later, still averaging 20 MPG on 2018 GT AWD Mazda CX-5. Is that normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Yeah sorry, I was under the impression that cylinder deactivation came into play only at highway speeds, which is wrong. However, I did read something about a “constant 25 mph” being the optimal condition for it, not sure how much you’ll experience that in “city” driving. I guess it depends on your drive. For me “city” driving is hardly ever a constant anything, let alone 25 mph. If you can go 2 blocks at a constant speed, you’re lucky.
    Yes, and that's why I've been against cylinder deactivation feature on 2018 and newer CX-5's, as it's almost useless like you just said. But adding all of those complicated components and weight, is it worth the effort?

  15. #45
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    We finally agreed on something!

    Better reading or not, his average MPG is only 20 for the entire year. That's very poor for a CX-5 with 2.5L. As I said before my wife's commute is only 11 miles similar to OP, but our CX-5 gets 25~26 mpg. Have you ever got average 20 mpg from your CX-5?
    I don't pay much attention to that but I've seen 18 before....going 1 mile to the corner store.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-14-2018, 10:22 PM
  2. 2018 Mazda CX-5 vs 2018 Chevy Equinox
    By buckbumble in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 06-11-2018, 05:29 PM
  3. New 2017 Mazda CX-5 averaging 14L/100km!!
    By carnophobia in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2018, 05:10 PM
  4. World Car Of The Year Announces 2018 Candidates
    By bigtex in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-13-2017, 10:21 PM
  5. Steering noise/clunk. normal? or ab-normal?
    By lamp3 in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 04:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •