Cabin Pressure Headache

Colorado_2018

:
2018 CX5
Weird problem that I think I've isolated to cabin pressure and wondering if anyone else has experienced this. After owning my 2018 touring for a bit I realized I was getting headaches when driving. I thought it was the base of Bose system. I've turned down the base to almost zero and it has helped but more of a bandaid.

What I've realized after doing some research is something with cabin pressure. On the way to work this morning I cracked the two front windows and the headache vanished. My ears pop a lot in this car.

What's strange is I've never been car sick, sea sick or sick on planes. I love strong base in music. I fly a lot for work and never have had a problem with pressure.

Anyone experience this in the CX5? Any remedies? Or is it something else entirely with the car (engine creating a noise at a specific frequency etc...)?

Its been very cold recently and its possible if the flap in the rear that lets air out froze shut this would result in higher pressure when hvac is running. Is this a recent problem? Its supposed to be warmer this weekend in NE so Im guessing same in CO. See it that helps.

Well I have a Gen 1, so no can't say I've experienced it. I know with the Gen 2's that there are a lot more sealing off of the cabin from the outside to help reduce the outside noises and make it a quiet cabin, but this is the first post I recall seeing anyone having issues with cabin pressure.

You think air is coming into the cabin, not escaping, and causing air pressure buildup? What level of pressure? You are in Colorado. You have less air pressure than those at sea level.

If this was causing an issue, honestly I would say that 1) you might have something else wrong with you that is causing this issue. I would get this checked out. Being very serious here. 2) it might be caused by some reaction to the something in the car.

You think air is coming into the cabin, not escaping, and causing air pressure buildup? What level of pressure? You are in Colorado. You have less air pressure than those at sea level.

If this was causing an issue, honestly I would say that 1) you might have something else wrong with you that is causing this issue. I would get this checked out. Being very serious here. 2) it might be caused by some reaction to the something in the car.

Yeah I would say the same thing except it's never happened in any other car I've driven, my wife's car which I drive every weekend and the rental cars I drive as I travel a lot for work. I recently drove a new Mazda 3 for work and zero issues. Something with this CX5...?

Again is it recent or has it been like this since you bought it? Does putting climate control on recirculate help?

If so I think the vent that lets air out is blocked or frozen shut maybe.

Its been very cold recently and its possible if the flap in the rear that lets air out froze shut this would result in higher pressure when hvac is running. Is this a recent problem? Its supposed to be warmer this weekend in NE so Im guessing same in CO. See it that helps.

Where is this flap? I can check. We did not get the cold air everyone in the Midwest got. Was 50 F on the way home from work yesterday and problem was there. It's always there regardless of outside temp. It may be slightly worse when it's really cold out.

Yeah I would say the same thing except it's never happened in any other car I've driven, my wife's car which I drive every weekend and the rental cars I drive as I travel a lot for work. I recently drove a new Mazda 3 for work and zero issues. Something with this CX5...?

Is it every time you drive it?

Again is it recent or has it been like this since you bought it? Does putting climate control on recirculate help?

If so I think the vent that lets air out is blocked or frozen shut maybe.

It's been like this since I bought it (although did not notice it really the first couple of days). Thought it was the sound system the first month of ownership.

Yea so it may not be easy to access. I would try recirculate on hvac. If that works maybe have the dealer look at it.

It's hard for me to believe that if your ventilation setting of fresh air is functioning properly, and your cabin air filter isn't completely blocked, that your cabin would be able to be pressurized to the level where you get headaches. I don't think there is a giant check valve that prevents air from exiting the cabin. My 2001 Corvette had a flap that prevented sudden pressure spikes when the hatch was closed, but that was for sudden pressure increases that could prevent the hatch from latching fully.

This doesn*t explain the ear popping but maybe check for exhaust leaks that might be allowing carbon monoxide to enter the cabin?

Shades of the Cuban embassy!
1-how long has this been happening?
2-is there ANY sign of it in other vehicles?
3- is there NO sign of it anywhere but when you're in your car?

Shades of the Cuban embassy!
1-how long has this been happening?
2-is there ANY sign of it in other vehicles?
3- is there NO sign of it anywhere but when you're in your car?

1. Really since day one but did not connect the dots it was the car. Purchased in early Nov '18. Thought it was the speakers. Then thought it was a vibration. Dealer corrected the vibration by balancing the tires. Still got the headaches and really just started to realize it's something maybe with air pressure.

2. Never happens (or have ever happened) in other vehicles and I drive a lot of different vehicles. I've flown planes and never had it, even during crazy (to me) maneuvers.

3. As soon as I'm out of the car I feel almost instantly better. Headache is gone within 15 minutes completely.

Exhaust leak is also a possibility. I would strongly suggest that you have the dealer check the vent in back and exhaust for leaks.

CO can kill you so not something to take lightly.

Exhaust leak is also a possibility. I would strongly suggest that you have the dealer check the vent in back and exhaust for leaks.

CO can kill you so not something to take lightly.

I second this. Get this checked out first and foremost, as soon as possible.

Back