Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Pressure Headache

Registered Member

2018 CX5

Cabin Pressure Headache

Weird problem that I think I've isolated to cabin pressure and wondering if anyone else has experienced this. After owning my 2018 touring for a bit I realized I was getting headaches when driving. I thought it was the base of Bose system. I've turned down the base to almost zero and it has helped but more of a bandaid.

What I've realized after doing some research is something with cabin pressure. On the way to work this morning I cracked the two front windows and the headache vanished. My ears pop a lot in this car.

What's strange is I've never been car sick, sea sick or sick on planes. I love strong base in music. I fly a lot for work and never have had a problem with pressure.

Anyone experience this in the CX5? Any remedies? Or is it something else entirely with the car (engine creating a noise at a specific frequency etc...)?
    2018 CX5 Touring | Machine Grey | Preferred Equipment
    Built Sep 2018 | Purchased November 2018
    Wife's is 2017 Sienna
    [Previous Cars] 80s Maxima | 90s Maxima | 2000s Subaru Legacy, Rav4, Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T, CRV

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Itís been very cold recently and itís possible if the flap in the rear that lets air out froze shut this would result in higher pressure when hvac is running. Is this a recent problem? Itís supposed to be warmer this weekend in NE so Iím guessing same in CO. See it that helps.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Well I have a Gen 1, so no can't say I've experienced it. I know with the Gen 2's that there are a lot more sealing off of the cabin from the outside to help reduce the outside noises and make it a quiet cabin, but this is the first post I recall seeing anyone having issues with cabin pressure.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 78k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

You think air is coming into the cabin, not escaping, and causing air pressure buildup? What level of pressure? You are in Colorado. You have less air pressure than those at sea level.

If this was causing an issue, honestly I would say that 1) you might have something else wrong with you that is causing this issue. I would get this checked out. Being very serious here. 2) it might be caused by some reaction to the something in the car.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Aside from getting checked for an ear infection I think air isnít getting out.

Registered Member

2018 CX5

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    You think air is coming into the cabin, not escaping, and causing air pressure buildup? What level of pressure? You are in Colorado. You have less air pressure than those at sea level.

If this was causing an issue, honestly I would say that 1) you might have something else wrong with you that is causing this issue. I would get this checked out. Being very serious here. 2) it might be caused by some reaction to the something in the car.
    Yeah I would say the same thing except it's never happened in any other car I've driven, my wife's car which I drive every weekend and the rental cars I drive as I travel a lot for work. I recently drove a new Mazda 3 for work and zero issues. Something with this CX5...?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Again is it recent or has it been like this since you bought it? Does putting climate control on recirculate help?

If so I think the vent that lets air out is blocked or frozen shut maybe.

Registered Member

2018 CX5

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Itís been very cold recently and itís possible if the flap in the rear that lets air out froze shut this would result in higher pressure when hvac is running. Is this a recent problem? Itís supposed to be warmer this weekend in NE so Iím guessing same in CO. See it that helps.
    Where is this flap? I can check. We did not get the cold air everyone in the Midwest got. Was 50į F on the way home from work yesterday and problem was there. It's always there regardless of outside temp. It may be slightly worse when it's really cold out.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_2018 View Post
    Yeah I would say the same thing except it's never happened in any other car I've driven, my wife's car which I drive every weekend and the rental cars I drive as I travel a lot for work. I recently drove a new Mazda 3 for work and zero issues. Something with this CX5...?
    Is it every time you drive it?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

It should be behind the rear bumper in most cars.

Registered Member

2018 CX5

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Again is it recent or has it been like this since you bought it? Does putting climate control on recirculate help?

If so I think the vent that lets air out is blocked or frozen shut maybe.
    It's been like this since I bought it (although did not notice it really the first couple of days). Thought it was the sound system the first month of ownership.

Registered Member

2018 CX5

Anyone know the technical name for the flap and how I would check to see if it's the culprit?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Yea so it may not be easy to access. I would try recirculate on hvac. If that works maybe have the dealer look at it.

Registered Member

2018 CX5

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Is it every time you drive it?
    Yep.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

It's hard for me to believe that if your ventilation setting of fresh air is functioning properly, and your cabin air filter isn't completely blocked, that your cabin would be able to be pressurized to the level where you get headaches. I don't think there is a giant check valve that prevents air from exiting the cabin. My 2001 Corvette had a flap that prevented sudden pressure spikes when the hatch was closed, but that was for sudden pressure increases that could prevent the hatch from latching fully.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast