Oil Usage

Warranty actionable oil consumption is usually 1 quart in 800-1000mi.

I think GM's stance on oil consumption for the Duramax engines is 1 quart every 1000 miles is acceptable...I think that's BS. I never had a vehicle that used more than a quart in 5K miles even on high performance engines.

Just wondering how much oil your CX-5 is using? I've been adding about 1/4 quart every 3k with oil changes every 7k. I have a 2017 with 15k miles on it.
That kind of minimal oil usage is perfectly normal on a Skyactiv G engine.
IMO I wouldnt say consuming quart per 3K miles on a SkyActiv-G with 15K miles is perfectly normal. My 2016 CX-5 with 32K miles uses almost no oil between each oil change at 5K~6K OCI depending on my oil life monitor. Of course all city driving with low RPM may help it.

Warranty actionable oil consumption is usually 1 quart in 800-1000mi.
Do you have a reference for that? I vaguely recall such an assertion from an earlier thread, but that seems extreme. Wouldn't burning several quarts per oil change foul emissions equipment and the air?
Unobtanium is correct. I had personal experience on this issue. My 2001.5 VW Passat is burning a quart of oil per 800~1,000 miles since new on its 2.8L V6. Id been complaining the issue all the way to VW of American to no avail during 3-year new-car warranty period. VWoA says using 1 quart of oil per 800~1,000 miles is NORMAL!

Used to buy only VW vehicles, not any more since that Passat purchase.

I think GM's stance on oil consumption for the Duramax engines is 1 quart every 1000 miles is acceptable...I think that's BS. I never had a vehicle that used more than a quart in 5K miles even on high performance engines.
Not just GM. A quart of oil per 800~1,000 miles on oil consumption is acceptable which is the industry standard. Even Mazda has this standard too.

Each new engine from factory can be different. A few may have issue on severe oil consumption. My 2001.5 VW Passat has the problem since new. But my other vehicles purchase new have no such issue. The best is my 1998 Honda CR-V which burns no oil when new, and uses very little oil at current 183K miles. It used almost no oil during our recent 1,800-mile road trip from Dallas to San Jose while driving mostly at 80+ miles per hour, and with some oil leakage around oil pan and valve cover.

I'd like to hear from Mazda or case law. The stance some crappy car companies decided to take on their crappy designs is a separate issue.

There's probably a design spec for internal reliability testing. I'd love somebody to ask Dave Coleman in front of a camera what reasonable upper bound is for oil consumption is on a typically driven CX-5.

Nissan had similar stance of 800-1000 miles on the the VQ35DE. Also found Toyota has similar statement in manual on my GX for these mileage amounts.

Frankly... I'd be sickened to have a rig using a quart 100 miles beyond these acceptable levels and nothing I could do but drop a lot for an engine rebuild or sell.

Nissan had similar stance of 800-1000 miles on the the VQ35DE. Also found Toyota has similar statement in manual on my GX for these mileage amounts.

Frankly... I'd be sickened to have a rig using a quart 100 miles beyond these acceptable levels and nothing I could do but drop a lot for an engine rebuild or sell.
The severe oil burning issue on my VW Passat should be caused by oil rings got installed reversely during assembly at an Audi's engine plant. There're lucky ones got engine rebuild for the same issue, and found the cause.

Even with modern technology I still believe each engine fresh out of assembly line will be different on performance (different horsepower)、efficiency (different gas mileage)、and of course the oil consumption.

Back