Oil Usage

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey all,

Just wondering how much oil your CX-5 is using? I've been adding about 1/4 quart every 3k with oil changes every 7k. I have a 2017 with 15k miles on it.

What are you all doing? Do you go without adding oil between oil changes? I will admit, I'm not the best at always remembering to check.

Thanks much!

I change the oil on my 2.0 every 5k miles. When I fill it with the recommended 4.5 qts it brings the oil level to about 3/4 up between the add and full marks. At about the 2500 mile point it has settled to about halfway between these two marks at which point I add the left over pint which brings it up to the full mark. It generally doesn't drop much at all from there to the 5k mile interval. My car has 48k miles on it.

Hey all,

Just wondering how much oil your CX-5 is using? I've been adding about 1/4 quart every 3k with oil changes every 7k. I have a 2017 with 15k miles on it.

What are you all doing? Do you go without adding oil between oil changes? I will admit, I'm not the best at always remembering to check.

Thanks much!

I have 104K miles, and when the oil is just changed, it's a bit above the "full dot" (the same distance above the full-dot, as half the distance between the two dots). After 7500-8K miles, it's hanging out between the two dots. I have the 2.5 AWD, and it sees WOT on a regular basis, as well as engine-braking (automatically does this when I approach corners and brake). No "sport mode", 2015.

-OEM filters, 0-20 Pennzoil Platinum, 5 quarts, no make-up oil added.

What is that? About 1/2 quart, maybe, based on how much the oil level moves per post #4?

Last edited:
Hey all,

Thanks much!

I change every 8k KM (5kMiles) and never add oil...maybe i should start checking.

The "safe" oil level is between the full and add marks so I never add partial quarts. My CX5 2.5 consumes about 1/4 quart in a 6K oil change. Ed

I'm interested in how much oil is consumed, not how much people add, because its not clear what criteria is being used to determine when and how much to add.

From my perspective, the objective is to keep the oil level always between the two marks. If I fill it to the full line and it doesn't reach the low line before my 7500 mile change interval, I see no benefit in adding any oil aside from the refill at oil change.

I haven't been paying attention to the level (shame on me). I'm used to driving Honda's and haven't had to add oil between changes, using my criteria, even on cars 10+ years old. and 150K+ miles.

I'd avoid over-filling because of stories of oil frothing or effects on oil pressure/pumping. I'd be surprised if slightly over the full mark could cause a problem in most cases because there needs to be some designed in margin for part/user/environmental variations.

Agree with Murky.

I haven't been paying attention to the level (shame on me). I'm used to driving Honda's and haven't had to add oil between changes, using my criteria, even on cars 10+ years old. and 150K+ miles.

There's no shame in that. I haven't checked my oil one time yet in 2 years. Not ashamed. It's a brand new car with a factory warranty. If I need to add oil to a 2 year old car, then something's wrong. That should not be a thing, imo.
In fact, honestly, I don't think I've ever added oil to ANY of my cars in my entire life between oil changes. Well, except for those cars that had, y'know, oil leaks. Not saying I never checked the oil in any of my cars..of course I have. Just not this one yet.
You guys got me curious though. Ima check it. :D

Agree with Murky.

There's no shame in that. I haven't checked my oil one time yet in 2 years. Not ashamed. It's a brand new car with a factory warranty. If I need to add oil to a 2 year old car, then something's wrong. That should not be a thing, imo.
In fact, honestly, I don't think I've ever added oil to ANY of my cars in my entire life between oil changes. Well, except for those cars that had, y'know, oil leaks. Not saying I never checked the oil in any of my cars..of course I have. Just not this one yet.
You guys got me curious though. Ima check it. :D

Once I've convinced over an OCI or two that it isn't consuming much, I'll stop looking unless I see a puddle in the garage. But I do want to make sure there isn't a problem while its in warranty and know if its something that needs monitoring.

I suppose if it's dangerously using oil I should notice that I'm only getting 3 quarts out at the change. I've done one change after the freebie from the dealer and that definitely wasn't the case.

Hey all,

Thanks much!
That's really not too bad, about what I'm getting with mine. I will note that different brands give me different results. Right now I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20, the Mazda Moly actually will give me worse oil mileage.

I average 12-15k miles a year, so I change the oil in the spring and in the fall without going over 7,500 miles. I put on more miles in the summer than I do in the winter. When I change I put in 5 full quarts of the Mazda Moly. I don't really ever check the level in between changes. I never add oil. My routine would change of course if I detected an oil leak, which I have not. Works for me, buy YMMV.

I always add 5 quarts for my 2.5L oil changes. I did notice on my last change that I drained about 4 1/4 quarts. 6500 miles OCI on that change. Castrol Edge 0w20. So I could see adding 1/2 quart if running for longer intervals.

Going to see if I have the same results on next change and then go from there and either give a 5w30 oil a try, or Mazda Moly 0w20 and see what happens.

Honestly though, I've never added oil between changes, I get excellent results on my UOAs. I usually keep my oil changes to 5k intervals, but am giving a longer 7500 miles interval a shot.

Last edited:
From my perspective, the objective is to keep the oil level always between the two marks. If I fill it to the full line and it doesn't reach the low line before my 7500 mile change interval, I see no benefit in adding any oil aside from the refill at oil change.

+1

My '17 has no observable oil usage so far, but I'm a pretty laid back driver too. Keeping RPMs down is kind of like a game for me most of the time. I do make an exception every once in a while, since I'm not completely dead inside yet. :p

My understanding is high RPM operation accelerates oil consumption, mostly by inducing greater blow by past the piston rings. Unless I'm remembering it wrong.

Once I've convinced over an OCI or two that it isn't consuming much, I'll stop looking unless I see a puddle in the garage. But I do want to make sure there isn't a problem while its in warranty and know if its something that needs monitoring.

I suppose if it's dangerously using oil I should notice that I'm only getting 3 quarts out at the change. I've done one change after the freebie from the dealer and that definitely wasn't the case.
Why are you so concerned about it on a new car?

Why are you so concerned about it on a new car?

I'm not so concerned about it, haven't been monitoring it. I think its unlikely to be a problem. But in the unlikely chance that it is, I want to check it out while under warranty.

I also manually calculated my mileage for the first few thousand miles until I understood the relationship between that method and what the car reports. Now I don't anymore.

I don't perceive I am having any noticeable oil consumption at all internally. While every engine uses something I would definitely consider this one a non-burner.

To maintain warranty I have been changing every 6 months so that puts me in the 4-5K mile range.

In the US the max interval to maintain warranty is 12 months and 7500 miles on the 2nd Gen.

I'm not so concerned about it, haven't been monitoring it. I think its unlikely to be a problem. But in the unlikely chance that it is, I want to check it out while under warranty.

I also manually calculated my mileage for the first few thousand miles until I understood the relationship between that method and what the car reports. Now I don't anymore.

Warranty actionable oil consumption is usually 1 quart in 800-1000mi.

Warranty actionable oil consumption is usually 1 quart in 800-1000mi.

Do you have a reference for that? I vaguely recall such an assertion from an earlier thread, but that seems extreme. Wouldn't burning several quarts per oil change foul emissions equipment and the air?

Back