Any advice for a new (2019) CX-5 Owner?

Just picked up a 2019 CX-5 GT. Came from a 2010 Acura MDX. I'm a Tech Guy and loving the Android Autoplay, wish it were wireless though. So nice to not have to turn the stereo volume down to say, "OK Google...." amongst other benefits. I think I pretty much figured out everything on the car. Really liking it. Only thing I'm maybe missing a little is the bigger more comfortable seats I had on the Acura and maybe ocassionally in the future I'll miss the much more cargo room and 3rd row seating but rarely. Kids are off to college. Didn't need a full size SUV, and didn't feel like making the equivalent of a second mortgage payment (exagerrating) on a brand new luxury brand. Loving how much quieter the cabin is on this car (a known issue on the 2nd gen MDX). But this would NOT be a good car for a BIG person (mainly width wise) - which I'm not, so no big deal but didn't realize how big the MDX seats were until now.

So probably the only small disappointment is the lack of hidden storage in the back. You can get an umbrella and some jumper cables stashed next to the spare tire. But I have no where to put my two seat cushions I take to sporting events. Guess I'll have to leave them out, or leave them in the garage and hope to remember them.

Any other tips or tricks, things to do/get, things not to do? Since it's a third year model, usually the manufacturer has all the kinks worked out by then, although no car will be 100% perfect as far as a few issues here and there.

Last edited:
I have a 2014 CX5 touring and at 48,000 miles I've had only one small problem that was addressed under warranty. I think the best thing to do first is to read the owners manual. I also would appreciate about two more inches width for elbow room. Ed

Ya I skimmed the owners manual on my tablet last night mainly to see how the radar cruise control worked. Everything else is either no different than most cars or can be figured out with common sense reading the labels on screen with a few exceptions that the dealers already showed me like the Auto-Stop feature. The emergency braking, blind spot, and lane departure features have become pretty common knowledge especially if you've had a rental car in the last year or two even if your old car pre-dated all this safety, nanny stuff. I wonder what percentage of vehicles on the road have the new safety features and if any studies have been completed to see if it's making a difference on accidents and fatalities? I can see how these new cars loaded with all these tech/safety features could deifinitely overwhelm some new owners that a bit tech adverse.

Last edited:
I have a 2015. The infotainment system is trash and glitchy AF, but otherwise the car has been 100% solid except for traumas it's suffered at my hands (fording streams, bad highways with debris, etc). It does fail to come close to EPA ratings on mpg though, the first of over half a dozen vehicle's I've owned to do so.

I have a 2015. The infotainment system is trash

One feature I miss a lot on the 2015 is the ability to view the rear cam without putting car in reverse, e.g. to see how close the vehicle behind is, when you're parked. Mazda Connect UI no longer has this "hidden" feature.

One feature I miss a lot on the 2015 is the ability to view the rear cam without putting car in reverse, e.g. to see how close the vehicle behind is, when you're parked. Mazda Connect UI no longer has this "hidden" feature.

My 2019 has a camera button that allows a 360 degree view at any time. I think it times out after 5-10 seconds at speed, but will stay on for as long as needed while going under like 5mph.

Our 2014 with 81,000 miles seats were always non supportive and too flat causing back pain for both my wife and I. Now they creak and feel like they have lost their stuffing. Neither of us are over weight. I would have thought by 2019 the seats would have been redesigned with more thigh support and better body contour.

Back