Heat only getting really warm when car is moving (2016 CX-9)

mazdacx9-321

:
2016 cx-9 signature
I have a 2016 CX-9 signature. I have noticed that during the winter, no matter how long I let my car warm up, it doesn't get really warm until I drive the vehicle. I let my car warm up for 45 minutes yesterday and the car was slightly comfortable when I got in it (slightly warme) and I had it set at 84. As soon as I started driving, it started warming up substantially more. I then noticed when I get to a stop light, the air is barely warm and when I start driving again the heat comes out with more power and is much hotter.

This is extremely frustrating living in upstate New York. We have three other vehicles including a Subaru SUV, Acura MDX and Toyota RAV4. Each of these cars get so warm after warming up in the driveway for 15 minutes we have to turn the heat down. With the CX-9, I keep it at 84 while it is warming up and almost for the entire time I'm driving. I have never had a car where my foot had to be on the accelerator to get really warm air out of the vents. Is anybody else experiencing this?

I had an exact similar issue with my another car. It ended up being the water pump. The water restriction plate had fallen out of its place and I installed a new water pump, and bam, heat was back to normal.

If it does end up being the water pump, may as well replace the thermostat at the same time too

I have a 2016 CX-9 signature. I have noticed that during the winter, no matter how long I let my car warm up, it doesn't get really warm until I drive the vehicle. I let my car warm up for 45 minutes yesterday and the car was slightly comfortable when I got in it (slightly warme) and I had it set at 84. As soon as I started driving, it started warming up substantially more. I then noticed when I get to a stop light, the air is barely warm and when I start driving again the heat comes out with more power and is much hotter.

This is extremely frustrating living in upstate New York. We have three other vehicles including a Subaru SUV, Acura MDX and Toyota RAV4. Each of these cars get so warm after warming up in the driveway for 15 minutes we have to turn the heat down. With the CX-9, I keep it at 84 while it is warming up and almost for the entire time I'm driving. I have never had a car where my foot had to be on the accelerator to get really warm air out of the vents. Is anybody else experiencing this?

My 2018 Cx-9 is doing same. I worm it up in the morning for 20 min but heat won't kick in till I drove it for at least 10-15 min. Also driving in stop and go traffic does not seem to work, only continuous driving triggers temps to rise and then heat kicks in.

My 2018 Cx-9 is doing same. I worm it up in the morning for 20 min but heat won't kick in till I drove it for at least 10-15 min. Also driving in stop and go traffic does not seem to work, only continuous driving triggers temps to rise and then heat kicks in.

I was hoping not to hear this. That is exactly what I am talking about. It leads me to believe that it is a limitation with the climate control and not something that can be repaired. And it is not fixed in your model which is 2 years older. I appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Switch the information display to show the engine temperature. If the engine is getting up to normal operating temperature but the cabin isn't heating, the problem is the climate control system.

If the engine itself is slow to heat, that can be checked for proper operation. The thermostat has the job of routing circulating coolant just within the engine and bypassing the radiator until the coolant is up to the 'stat's set point (190F or something like that). Or maybe these small, efficient engines just burn so little fuel, and the aluminum radiates enough heat, that the engine does not warm much until it is under load and burning more fuel.

Same issue here on a 2017 CX-9 and I'm also in upstate NY. There is something wrong with the design of the heating system - our other car is a 2016 VW Tiguan (4-cyl turbo) and it heats up fully in about 10-15 minutes when it's been 0 degrees out. No excuse for why the Mazda can't warm up and then stay there. I'm mentioning it again to my dealer when I'm in for an oil change next month.

I verified on the dash temp gauge that the car is simply not getting close to normal operating temperature until it's driven for several minutes at which point the "heat" is actually hot. If it just sits in Park the air coming through the vents is only lukewarm (even after sitting for as long as 30 minutes).

Does anyone know if there is a different thermostat that can be installed? I know some other cars (non-Mazda) have a different temperature thermostat for cold-weather climates/countries.

Switch the information display to show the engine temperature. If the engine is getting up to normal operating temperature but the cabin isn't heating, the problem is the climate control system.

If the engine itself is slow to heat, that can be checked for proper operation. The thermostat has the job of routing circulating coolant just within the engine and bypassing the radiator until the coolant is up to the 'stat's set point (190F or something like that). Or maybe these small, efficient engines just burn so little fuel, and the aluminum radiates enough heat, that the engine does not warm much until it is under load and burning more fuel.

I have done that. The engine takes forever to warm up. I have left my car running for 20-30 minutes and engine is not warm. As soon as I start driving, the engine starts to warm up.

Thank you very much for that link. If that is true, then it totally explains why the car does not heat up when idling in my driveway and why the heat goes way down when stopped at a red light. That also explains why they have such a crappy remote starter app - you don't need it because the car won't warm up unless you are actually driving it.

New owner here and bummed to read this information. Is this not warming up stuff only noticeable on or below zero temps? I'm bought the car in Arizona where I have migrated for the winter so I have not had it in the cold back in Montana where maximum heat is needed. I have seen other complaints about the HVAC system in this car. The A/C is reported to be weak at high temps and you can't turn the top two main vents off even when the system is "off" unless you divert the air down to the floor. So it seems like this might be the one main weak link in this otherwise great car.

I verified it's the engine that takes long to worm up. Takes at least 10 min of driving at speed before HVAC produces sufficient heat.

Thank you very much for that link. If that is true, then it totally explains why the car does not heat up when idling in my driveway and why the heat goes way down when stopped at a red light. That also explains why they have such a crappy remote starter app - you don't need it because the car won't warm up unless you are actually driving it.

And yet another reason why our next car to replace our leased 2016 VW Tiguan will not be the Mazda CX-5. After having driven Volvo, Saab, Audi, VW cars for years I got my first Mazda in September 2017 and the car is just not good in cold weather/winter:

1) cannot warm up car when parked in the driveway because it has to be driven in order to circulate hot coolant? (uhm)
2) seems to take longer to warm up even when driving compared to my other cars
3) heat output drops at long stop-lights or in Park
4) weak/slow to warm up heated seats
5) bad wipers/blades that don't work well in the freezing temps - constant streaking and ice/grime buildup when driving in bad weather
6) no heated washer nozzles? means that in extremely cold temps the nozzles can freeze over (or have snow/ice freeze over them) and they will not spray until engine is fully warmed up and radiant heat melts the snow/ice. I know newer models have wiper de-icer elements in the windshield but these only work when wipers are in the off position and still does not heat the washer fluid.
7) poor rear defroster - it takes a long time to de-ice the rear window and sometimes ice still accumulates when driving with it turned on
8) design/angle of rear-view camera causes it to get covered in dirt/grime within minutes of driving, even though I just cleaned it
9) no low washer fluid warning light
10) no air vents directed at the large 2nd row windows, so these are easily fogged up and take longer to defog since they're reliant on airflow from front of the car or from lower console in 2nd row

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
And yet another reason why our next car to replace our leased 2016 VW Tiguan will not be the Mazda CX-5. After having driven Volvo, Saab, Audi, VW cars for years I got my first Mazda in September 2017 and the car is just not good in cold weather/winter:

1) cannot warm up car when parked in the driveway because it has to be driven in order to circulate hot coolant? (uhm)
5) bad wipers/blades that don't work well in the freezing temps - constant streaking and ice/grime buildup when driving in bad weather
6) no heated washer nozzles? means that in extremely cold temps the nozzles can freeze over (or have snow/ice freeze over them) and they will not spray until engine is fully warmed up and radiant heat melts the snow/ice. I know newer models have wiper de-icer elements in the windshield but these only work when wipers are in the off position and still does not heat the washer fluid.
7) poor rear defroster - it takes a long time to de-ice the rear window and sometimes ice still accumulates when driving with it turned on
8) design/angle of rear-view camera causes it to get covered in dirt/grime within minutes of driving, even though I just cleaned it

Am I missing anything?

I agree on all counts, except 5. I am happy with the heated seats. I would say you left out 2 others though:

1) There is no warning light when windshield fluid is low. This is a major flaw.
2) The terrible design of the wiper hook so it is difficult to find replacement wipers. I asked my mazda dealer if they finally have dedicated winter wipers for the CX-9. Not yet. Even though my car is 2016. And compatibility is scarce.

On another note, today I warmed the car up in the garage for 20 minutes. Got in the car and the instrument panel showed the engine was not even close to being warmed up. Drove for 10 minutes and the engine now showed it was warm. "Warm" air started coming in. Set at 84 degrees for 20 minutes. When I would stop at a red light (idle), temperature of the air reduced dramatically. After getting to my office, the air was extremely hot and the car was finally very warm. I now put the car in park and the heat remained hot, even when idling.

In addition, even when the engine was warmed up according to the instrument panel, the air did not get truly "hot" until it reached a certain point. So, I think the answer (and problem) is that the quality of the heat is directly related to how warmed up the engine is and the engine takes a very long time to warm up and requires the car to be driven, not idling in the driveway.

I love the car and the way it drives, but the climate control is a major issue when you live in a cold winter climate.

I agree on all counts, except 5. I am happy with the heated seats. I would say you left out 2 others though:
I love the car and the way it drives, but the climate control is a major issue when you live in a cold winter climate.

I also love the way it drives which is what sold me on it. It seems to be a great 3 season car given where I currently live (as long as it's not too hot since the A/C isn't as strong as it could be). Unfortunately it gets so cold here and winter lasts so long that I just don't see us getting another Mazda SUV until several of these issues are fixed.

And the official response from Mazda is that the non-functioning heat while the car idles is the intended design/function:The vehicle has a coolant control valve for emissions, which is closed at idle. If the car is left on a driveway idling, then it will not demist as no hot coolant is circulated to the heater. This is normal operation of the vehicle.

9) no low washer fluid warning light
10) no air vents directed at the large 2nd row windows, so these are easily fogged up and take longer to defog since they're reliant on airflow from front of the car or from lower console in 2nd row

Am I missing anything?

I'm in a considerably colder climate than you and my CX-9 sounds like a different car altogether. While I agree that the heat isn't as good or as "fast" as my other cars, I know that there are reasons behind this and they make sense to me (larger cabin to heat up, 4cyl vs. V6). It's definitely a shortfall in the CX-9.

With that said, my driving habits seem to lend themselves well to the way the CX-9 operates. By this, I mean that I'm not one to turn my car on and let it sit for 20-45 mins. That's just obscene to me, it's a huge waste of gas, bad for the environment, and bad for the engine. I'm the kind of driver who turns on his car, straps on the belt, sets navigation (if necessary) or changes a playlist and I'm off. The engine warms up much faster this way, and as such, the cabin warms up faster as well. Some things to note:

1) Heat output doesn't drop at stop lights or in Park
2) Heated seats work well, even through a padded seat bottom cover
3) Never had any issues with frozen washer nozzles because I use the appropriate washer fluid
4) Rear defroster works perfectly fine
5) No washer fluid warning "light", but there is definitely a low washer fluid warning that overtakes the info screen
6) Despite the lack of vents, I haven't had any issues defogging the 2nd row and 3rd row windows

(shrug)

You guys have got me wondering what else they sneaked into the 2018 model or firmware updates. Maybe the low washer fluid warning was added in the firmware update I have in my CX-9? Maybe they added vents to the 2nd and 3rd row that I didn't notice?

EDIT: I don't think that anyone should have to do this, but if it's absolutely necessary, maybe you guys can look into getting a block heater and/or an oil pan heater installed? I wonder if those will help with your vehicles?

Last edited:
Same issue here, 2018 GT. I installed remote start to warm up the car before putting my infant it in in the winter. No matter how long the car idles its sill very cold when I get in. Makes me regret getting the remote start.

I'm in a considerably colder climate than you and my CX-9 sounds like a different car altogether. While I agree that the heat isn't as good or as "fast" as my other cars, I know that there are reasons behind this and they make sense to me (larger cabin to heat up, 4cyl vs. V6). It's definitely a shortfall in the CX-9.

With that said, my driving habits seem to lend themselves well to the way the CX-9 operates. By this, I mean that I'm not one to turn my car on and let it sit for 20-45 mins. That's just obscene to me, it's a huge waste of gas, bad for the environment, and bad for the engine. I'm the kind of driver who turns on his car, straps on the belt, sets navigation (if necessary) or changes a playlist and I'm off. The engine warms up much faster this way, and as such, the cabin warms up faster as well. Some things to note:

1) Heat output doesn't drop at stop lights or in Park
2) Heated seats work well, even through a padded seat bottom cover
3) Never had any issues with frozen washer nozzles because I use the appropriate washer fluid
4) Rear defroster works perfectly fine
5) No washer fluid warning "light", but there is definitely a low washer fluid warning that overtakes the info screen
6) Despite the lack of vents, I haven't had any issues defogging the 2nd row and 3rd row windows

(shrug)

You guys have got me wondering what else they sneaked into the 2018 model or firmware updates. Maybe the low washer fluid warning was added in the firmware update I have in my CX-9? Maybe they added vents to the 2nd and 3rd row that I didn't notice?

EDIT: I don't think that anyone should have to do this, but if it's absolutely necessary, maybe you guys can look into getting a block heater and/or an oil pan heater installed? I wonder if those will help with your vehicles?
I think the Canadian models have some slightly different features, such as the low washer fluid warning (and perhaps this was added to US models after 2017, but I'm not positive). In my previous cars I used to start it up, get in, and go but because my CX-9 took so long to warm up when driving I started to let it run for a few minutes before heading out in the winter (when it's below freezing). "Warm-up" time progressively got longer and longer until just now that I learned that the car/cabin doesn't actually warm up. Now that I know it's a waste of time/resources/energy I guess I'll just "suffer" driving for 10-15 minutes with no heat.

I was looking at block heaters today and unfortunately I don't think this will address the issue of the cabin not heating up: since the thermostat does not open until the car's RPMs are above a certain point (~1,200 RPM) having a warmed up engine at idle will not speed up heating of the cabin. It seems the only way to heat the cabin is to drive the car with little to no heat and wait for everything to warm up. Worst of all, this was a conscious decision by Mazda to have the thermostat/heat function this way.

Some of the items I listed are not major or every time driving occurrences, just things I've noticed having had the car for a year and a half and comparing it to other cars I've had.

Heated seats do eventually get too hot on 3 and I have to turn them down to 1 or 2, but it just takes a lot longer than my VW.

For washer fluid I always use Prestone AS-250 De-Icer fluid (the yellow stuff) which has worked great in previous vehicles and never froze up...until I put it in the CX-9 (or mayber it was snow/ice buildup that froze on top of the spray nozzles, but still, the heated nozzle feature would prevent this problem).

It's only been a handful of times where the rear windows remained fogged up even though windshield had fully defrosted/defogged, but I thought it worth mentioning since I know other people have had same issue/complaint and knowing that the car would greatly benefit from some additional rear air ducts (for both heating and cooling).

Rear defroster: works fine most of the time but it's the 5-10 occurrences in 2 winters when I'm driving in falling snow and it can't seem to keep up with melting the snow that falls. Even when starting car up in the morning it just takes longer to melt all the snow/ice than my VW.

I don't mean to compare every feature to VW but I had 2 VW Tiguans before the CX-9 (still have 1 of them in the household) and they just dealt with the cold weather a lot better. That's not to say that the Tiguan did not have its own shortcomings (there's a reason I did not get another Tiguan in 2017), just that I didn't realize I would be encountering so many cold weather issues with the Mazda.

I really do like the CX-9 and want to love it, but I just can't. I'm glad to hear that your CX-9 has not presented all of the same issues but there are certainly enough other people out there with similar experiences to mine. I'm hoping that Mazda can/will address most of these in the future as they seem like easy fixes...but I know that just because something seems easy and/or cheap does not mean it's cost-effective for the manufacturer.

I think the Canadian models have some slightly different features, such as the low washer fluid warning (and perhaps this was added to US models after 2017, but I'm not positive). In my previous cars I used to start it up, get in, and go but because my CX-9 took so long to warm up when driving I started to let it run for a few minutes before heading out in the winter (when it's below freezing). "Warm-up" time progressively got longer and longer until just now that I learned that the car/cabin doesn't actually warm up. Now that I know it's a waste of time/resources/energy I guess I'll just "suffer" driving for 10-15 minutes with no heat.

I was looking at block heaters today and unfortunately I don't think this will address the issue of the cabin not heating up: since the thermostat does not open until the car's RPMs are above a certain point (~1,200 RPM) having a warmed up engine at idle will not speed up heating of the cabin. It seems the only way to heat the cabin is to drive the car with little to no heat and wait for everything to warm up. Worst of all, this was a conscious decision by Mazda to have the thermostat/heat function this way.

Some of the items I listed are not major or every time driving occurrences, just things I've noticed having had the car for a year and a half and comparing it to other cars I've had.

Heated seats do eventually get too hot on 3 and I have to turn them down to 1 or 2, but it just takes a lot longer than my VW.

For washer fluid I always use Prestone AS-250 De-Icer fluid (the yellow stuff) which has worked great in previous vehicles and never froze up...until I put it in the CX-9 (or mayber it was snow/ice buildup that froze on top of the spray nozzles, but still, the heated nozzle feature would prevent this problem).

It's only been a handful of times where the rear windows remained fogged up even though windshield had fully defrosted/defogged, but I thought it worth mentioning since I know other people have had same issue/complaint and knowing that the car would greatly benefit from some additional rear air ducts (for both heating and cooling).

Rear defroster: works fine most of the time but it's the 5-10 occurrences in 2 winters when I'm driving in falling snow and it can't seem to keep up with melting the snow that falls. Even when starting car up in the morning it just takes longer to melt all the snow/ice than my VW.

I don't mean to compare every feature to VW but I had 2 VW Tiguans before the CX-9 (still have 1 of them in the household) and they just dealt with the cold weather a lot better. That's not to say that the Tiguan did not have its own shortcomings (there's a reason I did not get another Tiguan in 2017), just that I didn't realize I would be encountering so many cold weather issues with the Mazda.

I really do like the CX-9 and want to love it, but I just can't. I'm glad to hear that your CX-9 has not presented all of the same issues but there are certainly enough other people out there with similar experiences to mine. I'm hoping that Mazda can/will address most of these in the future as they seem like easy fixes...but I know that just because something seems easy and/or cheap does not mean it's cost-effective for the manufacturer.

I thought you might have been on to something with Canadian models being spec'd slightly differently, but from the sounds of it even teknowiz's 2018 in Ontario has some HVAC issues. So it may not be limited to model year and it may not be limited to region either.

I really wish I had an answer for the low washer fluid warning. I guess if push comes to shove, one could possibly swap out a part or two that contains the relevant sensor and update their firmware to get that warning, but that seems like way more than anyone should have to do for a flagship car manufactured in 2016+.

Latest posts

Back