Easy Phone Mount for Android Auto / Apple Car

Just got a 2019. A little surprised you have to plug the phone into a cable to use Android Auto. Pretty slick though. Seems you don't really need to access the phone now. Stashing it in the center console is a little clunk and a tight fit. I was thinking an elegant solution would be some sort of slide in holster that you could stick to the front side of the console. If it was think enough the phone shouldn't obstruct cups in the cup holder.

Other option is to do the same and mount it on the side of the console next to the drivers right hip/leg.

Or, run a cable up to around the console and into the front tray. This is the least desireable, unless you ocassionally need to see/access the phone, then this is the best solution I think.

What do people think?

I find there are times when access to the phone screen is still helpful. Waze for example will show the turn by turn list on the phone while the infotainment shows the map/route.

I use a pitaka magnetic vent mount and case (wireless charger compatible) and a netdot magnetic lightning cable.

Super easy to hop in and get the phone hooked up. Im ok with the center passenger vent being closed and blocked by the mount. I even pulled the side trim from the center console and ran the cable up to the upper tray so there is no loose cable from the arm rest.

Well I decided to go with a magnetic mount to the left of the shifter. Since with Android Auto you almost never have to look at the phone, this keeps it accessible but yet not unecessarily cluttering the dash or partially blocking vents. (I'l probably get a smaller black cable guide instead of that big white one.) One thing that is nice is my LG V30 is a metal phone in a clear plastic case and I can use the magnet mount without having to stick one of those metal discs on it that can prevent the wireless charging. It's not stuck very hard to the magnet but enough to keep the phone from sliding around.

7A5ZKSh.jpg

I also figured out a solution as to where to put my sporting even seat cushions without just having stuff lying around in the cargo area. Although this solution was cheap from Amazon, I think I may find one that is a little better designed where the is a strap for the center headrest to keep it from sagging. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist as you might tell.) It's nice there is velcro on the bottom back side to keep it stuck to the back of the seats.

FO3O5kT.jpg

Last edited:
I came across an interesting phone mount that stays on the dashboard and folds down flat when not in use. It has some sort of sticky material under the base that is moveable and reusable and is not supposed to dashboard. The dashboard needs to be relatively flat. I*m not sure what the newer generations* ones look like.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I was looking at that over-the-headrest storage unit, but ended up buying one that had the covered bags up top and a second row of net pouches below the bag, so it comes closer to the floor (maximizes the seat back space). It has a strap for all 3 headrests. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Car-Trunk-Organizer-Back-Seat-Mesh-Pocket-Storage-Bag-HFON/470734439 I have not received it yet. I like the idea of putting Velcro on the back to stop it from flopping into the cargo area, since the seat backs slope.

I also got a storage net to have on hand to catch odds & ends. https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Road-Clip-on-Cargo-Organizer-Storage-Net/17249000 I figure I can store it in the back-of-the-seat unit and clip it over top of that unit as needed.

Regarding your phone pouch: I was looking at these, but since I have not yet used my phone as a music machine, I just have it laying in the spot by the cigarette lighter in front of the shifter. I was thinking of getting one of these vent-mounted pouches, but I'm gonna hold off for now: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vehicle-...ls-Pocket-Pouch-Holder-Storage-Blue/623049912 There are lots of different versions of the pouch holders.

Since I'm helping you spend your money...here is a protective phone case that slides into a holster (sort of like Otter Box), and the phone case already has the metal disc on the back of it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) The phone is somewhat shielded from the magnetism. I also like the belt clip on the holster because it has a tab on the end that catches under your belt so it doesn't not just slide off. You gotta work to unhook it. The case rotates on the clip (vertical/horizontal carry.) Under $20. Comes with a magnetic vent clip base. It does not hold the phone over severe bumps...I'm afraid to put a super magnet on it.

Lastly, as a fellow perfectionist, you might have ideas on where I can get a car fire extinguisher. All of the non-Halon ones (under $150) that say "car" on them also say "Do not expose to temperatures under 32 or over 100" Now, how does one accomplish that with something stored in a vehicle all year??? I actually called Kidde customer service this morning to ask that very question. The rep said "Yes, our car and marine fire extinguishers do say that on them, but lots of people keep them stored in their cars and boats all year round with no problem." So there's the written warranty, and there's what the sales guy says. And I want to make certain it's gonna work when I need it. I asked the question once again, I got the same answer, so I did not debate it. I'm still looking.

Last edited:
Lastly, as a fellow perfectionist, you might have ideas on where I can get a car fire extinguisher. All of the non-Halon ones (under $150) that say "car" on them also say "Do not expose to temperatures under 32 or over 100" Now, how does one accomplish that with something stored in a vehicle all year??? I actually called Kidde customer service this morning to ask that very question. The rep said "Yes, our car and marine fire extinguishers do say that on them, but lots of people keep them stored in their cars and boats all year round with no problem." So there's the written warranty, and there's what the sales guy says. And I want to make certain it's gonna work when I need it. I asked the question once again, I got the same answer, so I did not debate it. I'm still looking.

I came across this a little while ago. Gas-based portable fire extinguisher, tested to work in all temps from -140F to +300F, long discharge time, no residue.

https://elementfire.com/pages/faqs

I came across this a little while ago. Gas-based portable fire extinguisher, tested to work in all temps from -140F to +300F, long discharge time, no residue.

https://elementfire.com/pages/faqs

Thanks for the link. The only gas-based extinguisher I've seen so far for consumer use was $150 in the classic bottle with a hose on it. I have never seen one in a road flare format like this. I like the fact that it is not only a small format for easy storage, it has no effective expiration date. Did you buy one for yourself?

The only concern I would have is that the gas "pours out of" the container to "surround the fire." Their demo video abruptly stops once the guy has ignited the thing. I just sent them an email (they are in Italy) asking how strong of a breeze this could be used in.

I also just sent an email to a company called H3R that makes dry chemical and gas car/marine fire extinguishers asking them the temperature storage range. I can't find the info in the brochures or online owner's manuals.It's a little concerning that the only place you see this spec is on the physical product's label, as though they intentionally avoid it until you've bought the thing. This question on Amazon product pages gets ignored by the manufacturers, with other consumers giving anecdotal "hasn't ruptured in my car" responses.

Back