Spotify

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Id like to play Spotify with my soon to be purchased 2019.
Would this be best done by Apple CarPlay with Spotify as one of the on-screen apps?

I think,you can play it even without carplay. over just Bluetooth connection and selecting as source in the radio.

I use Bluetooth through my Galaxy S6 to play Spotify. Provides all album art and steering wheel controls work perfectly.

Maybe this is posted somewhere else - but my 2014 CX-5 won't shuffle play on Spotify (iPhone 6S, iOS 12.1.2). I've read that this is an issue with the older headunit in the CX-5 - is this true? Any workarounds?

That's a strangely odd issue. What would being connected to a car have to do with being able to shuffle?!? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? Re-pair it to the car? Just something quick to try. Where have you seen others with this issue?

Yes, I have done both of those things. The issue is specific to the Mazda - my others cars with BT connection shuffle play normally, through my entire playlist. In the CX-5, whatever song happens to be playing, Spotify will only shuffle through that particular album. After Googling this, I read plenty of reports that seem to indicate this is an issue with pre-2016 Mazdas with the 'older' type of interface. Maybe pre-Mazda Connect? Just wondering if anyone here with older CX-5's has experienced this. It's pretty irritating as it kind of takes away one of the biggest advantages of Spotify.

Yes, I have done both of those things. The issue is specific to the Mazda - my others cars with BT connection shuffle play normally, through my entire playlist. In the CX-5, whatever song happens to be playing, Spotify will only shuffle through that particular album. After Googling this, I read plenty of reports that seem to indicate this is an issue with pre-2016 Mazdas with the 'older' type of interface. Maybe pre-Mazda Connect? Just wondering if anyone here with older CX-5's has experienced this. It's pretty irritating as it kind of takes away one of the biggest advantages of Spotify.

Yeah I noticed this a few months ago. It's weird because it worked fine until about November, then Spotify issued an update that broke the shuffle. It's something on their end - Mazdas are not the only affected.

There is a workaround. Press the voice control on the steering wheel wait for her to say Ready and say "Shuffle All". It will then shuffle.

The voice control is not great so sometimes it doesn't hear it correctly. If that happens press cancel then try again.

Last edited:
Also, Spotify has had shuffle problems for years - on every platform. It's one of the top complaints if you search. I think its because they over-complicate it by not making it actually random.

Back