-27F and it started right up!

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
My CX-5 has NEVER let me down!

ColdDash.jpg

(thumb)

I was a little worried about my Explorer this morning.
I'm a little north of you near the State Fair Grounds. Said about the same temp there @ 6am.
Battery is almost 5 years old and struggles a little when it gets to -10F. I have an un-insulated, detached garage and it was a balmy -8 in there.
Plus, had the block heater turn on around 3am.
I'm more worried about this afternoon after sitting in the work parking lot all day in Bloomington.

Side note, I was looking for the block heater plug on my wife's 09 CX9 and couldn't find it. After some investigation, guess it wasn't an option. I could have sworn it had one, but guess not.

That's brisk baby!

Minus 26 here this morn but I ain't going out in it!

-27F, that's cute :p

CX-9 started up in -58F (-50c) this morning, but it was on the block heater. Supposed to get even colder as the day goes on.

Edit: Also, heard on the radio this morning that buses and schools finally called a snow day. Temps were similar yesterday and it was business as usual for some reason, lol.

Last edited:
^^Winner holy witches titties thats cold..and damn we're soft- ppl crying here, schools delayed when we get -F wind chills much less air temp-curious to see what happens tomorrow no school today, they were there 2 hours yesterday for an inch or 2 of snow that happened after 4pm!

Last edited:
-27F, that's cute :p

CX-9 started up in -58F (-50c) this morning, but it was on the block heater. Supposed to get even colder as the day goes on.

Edit: Also, heard on the radio this morning that buses and schools finally called a snow day. Temps were similar yesterday and it was business as usual for some reason, lol.

Dang that's cold.
I'd actually be worried about my home furnace keeping up at that temp.

I think in MN they call off school if it's below -35F(or is it -40F) wind chill or -30F air temp. It's not so much knowing how to dress, it's more due to concerns with busses getting stranded with kids on board.

Now, down in Florida, temps of +50F and they have to tell people how to dress appropriately(in layers, cover heads and hands....etc). That's just silly.

It's lower than -50f here with the windchill. They say frostbite can set in in less than 2 minutes. That said, they never closed schools when I was a kid and it was like this. Even the mail isn't going to be delivered today. That's crazy!

When parked would covering the battery with a thick blanket help at all?

-22F for me this morning. My 2018 Grand Touring CX-5 would not remote start. I had to get in and press the start.....it struggled....but it eventually started.

Friends remote start Mazda 6 has failed a few times. Mine and the 16 Cherokee working ok. 0 to -7 f

Side note, I was looking for the block heater plug on my wife's 09 CX9 and couldn't find it. After some investigation, guess it wasn't an option. I could have sworn it had one, but guess not.

Block heaters are usually a dealer added option. I've never owned a car that had one factory installed.
I asked for one when I bought my 6 last year, and they installed one for free. Forever grateful for that.

Quick story: I was in Florida last winter, and went for an oil change down there.
The technician saw the cord for the block heater hanging out the front of the car, and asked me if my car was a plug in hybrid.
He had never heard of a block heater. He had no idea what it was. Took a lot of explaining.

-22F for me this morning. My 2018 Grand Touring CX-5 would not remote start. I had to get in and press the start.....it struggled....but it eventually started.

Mine started with the remote today. I was pleased. I live in NWIN as well.

Twin Cities, MN and we hit -30F with wind chill of -50F. My son had come down from Duluth with his GF and they flew out to the east coast to visit her parents last weekend. His car is in the attached 2 car garage and my 2017 CX-5 was left outside untouched since Monday night. Thursday night it was still -13F but I had a seminar to get to. The Mazda started but it couldn't load the navigation SD card, I was getting a front sensor error which controls the smart braking and it didn't recognize I had the seat belt fastened. Motor mounts weren't dampening so anything below 1,000 rpm it vibrated profusely. I chose to shift manually.

They had us park in a heated underground parking lot for the 2 hour seminar and when I came back out everything was working normally again.

My 2015 CX-5 also had the severe vibration problem during extreme cold so whatever they use for the motor mounts doesn't dampen below a certain temp.

Had 2 street parked starts around -20F this week. Reluctantly fired up and idled at 2.5k on both. First go I had 3 warnings related to front camera/blind spot monitoring/smart braking. Second go I had a bulb fail light but no bulbs out(couldnt check brake).

Both times my left turn signal indicator on dash would not work..

No warnings or issues after parking and starting again. Happy with my Blueberry

Latest posts

Back