Front License Plate

:
2019 Mazda CX5 Sport
Just ordered a 2019 CX5 Sport.

Does the dealer drill through the front bumper cover to install plate or is there a mount?

Mine has a license bracket which the dealer installed - the bracket itself is fastened (screwed) to the bumper. My old Honda Pilot had a bracket which mounted to the underside of the bumper and which could be removed without leaving any holes. I would have preferred something like that, but oh well....

Thanks for the reply, I was afraid that was the case.

Here in PA, we don't use front plates and I ordered the car from a NY dealer.

I would contact your salesperson ahead of time and ask that the bracket not be installed as part of the vehicle prep. And while you're at it, no dealer stickers, either.

Last edited:
Here in Illinois we are required to use front license plates. I haven't done so in over 30 years of driving here. Never an issue.

When we ordered our CX I told the salesman that I did NOT want the front bracket installed. So guess what I found installed when we inspected the car upon taking delivery? Yep, the front bracket. I ranted and raved about it for a bit but what was there to do? We accepted it as is. When I got home I pulled off the bracket and found that some moron installed the bracket and missed the factory 'dimples' (spot where the factory wanted the screws to go) by a 1/4". I used some of those plastic plugs to cover the holes but if you look close you can see that they're off center.

Here in Illinois we are required to use front license plates. I haven't done so in over 30 years of driving here. Never an issue....

I'm also in IL and have gone without a front plate since 1986. In that period, I've been given about 5 verbal warnings and 1 actual ticket. Are you familiar with South Barrington? They are obsessed with this issue. 2 of my verbal warnings were at their "check points" and the ticket was from one of their soon to be retiring veteran patrol officers. I just paid the ticket and try to drive around certain areas of that town. Since the CX-5 is my wife's, it has the ugly bracket and plate. She's too paranoid to drive around without it.

To the OP. When you say you ordered it from out of state, do you mean it was a dealer transfer? In any case, I would be sure to contact them to try and stop them from installing the bracket, if they haven't already.

When we ordered our CX I told the salesman that I did NOT want the front bracket installed. So guess what I found installed when we inspected the car upon taking delivery?

Same thing happened to me on my previous CX-5. I was very clear that I did not want them to install the front bracket and I would do it myself. Well the idiots at the dealership (Koons Mazda in Silver Spring, MD) drilled two holes right through the front of the bumper! Didn't even attempt to do it the right way. Needless to say I raised holy hell and refused to drive off the lot with it. There solution was to reinstall it the right way, which meant just moving it and covering up the 2 ugly holes they drilled into the bumper. Again, no. They ended up putting on an entirely new bumper since they ruined the original one.

Going to pick up my CX5 today. The dealer had to search for a car without the bracket on front. Says he has one, we will see in about an hour.

I don't understand why they are so anxious to do something that is not reversible. There should be mandatory consent first.

Back