2019 Signature Vibration/Shake

I'm seriously considering a 2020 CX-5 Sig. But I do a lot of highway driving and high speed vibration will be a deal-killer. How widespread is this problem??

I'm seriously considering a 2020 CX-5 Sig. But I do a lot of highway driving and high speed vibration will be a deal-killer. How widespread is this problem??

Hard to say, but ours does not have the issue. Why not just take the one you're considering on the highway to find out?

Test drive the vehicle on the highway before you buy it. Have the dealer correct it before purchasing if there is an issue. The design of the Cx5(and probably all Mazdas) makes them sensitive to minor tire imperfections. Thats just what youre going to get with a well performing vehicle in this class.

Every new Mazda Ive driven had vibration issues:
16 3 GT- new tires resolved the issue.
16 6 GT- loaner
16.5 CX-5 GT - new tires resolved the issue
19 CX-5 GT-R -new tires resolved the issue
19 CX-5 GT - only took it for a test drive when I was shopping for my GT-R

My stock toyos were well over 30pounds of road force which is unacceptable. The dealer replaced them with Michelins and its much better.

My winter setup still has some vibration. I blame that on cheaper wheels and tires. My buddy road force balances them with a newer hunter and theyre still not as smooth as the stock wheels with Michelins.

Some shops are better than others-equipment and employees. This makes it difficult to narrow down the issue sometimes.

Some people are also more sensitive to vibrations than others.

Test drive the vehicle on the highway before you buy it. Have the dealer correct it before purchasing if there is an issue. The design of the Cx5(and probably all Mazdas) makes them sensitive to minor tire imperfections. Thats just what youre going to get with a well performing vehicle in this class.

Every new Mazda Ive driven had vibration issues:
16 3 GT- new tires resolved the issue.
16 6 GT- loaner
16.5 CX-5 GT - new tires resolved the issue
19 CX-5 GT-R -new tires resolved the issue
19 CX-5 GT - only took it for a test drive when I was shopping for my GT-R

My stock toyos were well over 30pounds of road force which is unacceptable. The dealer replaced them with Michelins and its much better.

My winter setup still has some vibration. I blame that on cheaper wheels and tires. My buddy road force balances them with a newer hunter and theyre still not as smooth as the stock wheels with Michelins.

Some shops are better than others-equipment and employees. This makes it difficult to narrow down the issue sometimes.

Some people are also more sensitive to vibrations than others.

Thanks for all the info, and that's good advice. The only problem is that I intended to factory order my CX-5 because I want some port-installed accessories, as I'm not a fan of dealer-installed anything.

I have a 2019 Signature. With Michelin upgrade I have no vibration issues. Now I'm wondering about snow tires...any recommend a vibration-free winter tire?

Well unfortunately, based on what I'm reading here this vibration issue is a Mazda thing and is fairly widespread. I have no intention of buying a new vehicle and then possibly having to spring for a new set of tires just to be able to drive it on the highway without vibration, after reading constantly what a wonderful vehicle the CX-5 is to drive. I'm afraid this is a deal killer for me. My search for a car continues...

I have a 2019 Signature. With Michelin upgrade I have no vibration issues. Now I'm wondering about snow tires...any recommend a vibration-free winter tire?

You may not need the best on Vancouver Island,but I do here in Nova Scotia. After much research and many years of winter driving I can honestly say,the best winter tire is the Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA

Resolved: 19 Signature Vibration/Shake

Well unfortunately, based on what I'm reading here this vibration issue is a Mazda thing and is fairly widespread. I have no intention of buying a new vehicle and then possibly having to spring for a new set of tires just to be able to drive it on the highway without vibration, after reading constantly what a wonderful vehicle the CX-5 is to drive. I'm afraid this is a deal killer for me. My search for a car continues...
I agree that a brand new vehicle shouldnt be this way, even with OE tires. To me, this problem hasnt been resolved, and Mazda should come up with a true solution. A vehicle can only use expensive Michelin tires to operate without vibration is simply not acceptable.

On the other hand, you should do a test drive on a Mazda Signature and pick one without such problem, as I do believe this problem is not happening on EVERY CX-5 Signature.

Seriously? You read about a few people complaining of an issue that you could easily reproduce during a test drive. It is not "widespread", like you say. Analysis paralysis is a real thing. (nailbyt)

Seriously? You read about a few people complaining of an issue that you could easily reproduce during a test drive. It is not "widespread", like you say. Analysis paralysis is a real thing. (nailbyt)

Bad run of tires, in various states of bad, imo. I resolved mine by going lx25 crosscontacts.

If you base your car buying decision on a perceived condition you read about on the internet all I can say is good luck. I predict your search might be endless.

You may not need the best on Vancouver Island,but I do here in Nova Scotia. After much research and many years of winter driving I can honestly say,the best winter tire is the Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA

Roblack...I actually made the same decision last week. We dont get the consistent winter snow you do but Im sure you know about our winter rain. The Nokians had the best hydroplaning reviews and they really give a sense of confidence.

I agree. A test drive is a must. Unfortunately, I intended to do a factory order, to get certain port-installed accessories. Hard to test drive that...

That's pretty definitive.

Does anyone know if this happened RIGHT from the dealership on delivery?

I've got about 6500km on mine, and mine have been super quiet, and not a peep of anything wrong at all.
Yes, right out of the dealership........garbage tire and Toyo customer service denies anything wrong with their tires even with a written report of force balanced #'s stating they are NOT round tires.

@jmm3807: Did you tires have lateral run-out like mine? See the images below:

Looks like I am having the exact same issue with my 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring purchased in October 2018.

Front Drive Side:
attachment.php

Front Passenger Side:
attachment.php

I'm reviving this thread for two reasons:

1) Don't underestimate how easily a crappy/defective tire can throw off the entire feeling of how your car drives. On my 2017 CX-5 Sport, I recently switched out Geolandar G91A (OEM) for General Altimax RT43. I feel some vibes at highway speeds 60-80mph, which did not happen with the Geolandar's. That's why I landed in this thread. The RT43 is apparently very hard to balance, one of my wheels has 4oz when others only have 1.75-2oz of weight on them.

2) Can someone please point out to me what is wrong with the wear pattern on these two tires posted? It's not apparent at all, at least to me. I'm genuinely curious.

I'm reviving this thread for two reasons:

2) Can someone please point out to me what is wrong with the wear pattern on these two tires posted? It's not apparent at all, at least to me. I'm genuinely curious.
That looks like a curb hit/drive over. It's not wear from driving.

No, it isn’t the wear pattern. The poster said his factory Toyo A36 tires are having lateral run-out issue. It’s a problem of tire not in the straight line while it’s rotating. Or the tire shop can set up an instrument against the tire sidewall and see how much it would go close and away the measuring point while rotating. There’s radial run-out which measures at the tread surface with the same way, to find out if the tire would go up and down while rotating. Both measurements are checking the tire if it’s perfectly round or it would cause the vibration. It’s hard to see the lateral run-out and radial run-out issues from a 2-dimensional statistic picture as these problems are exposed only when the tire is rotating.

Back