2019 Signature Vibration/Shake

I have a 2018 Touring AWD - bought in November - and I too have a slight vibration issue right at 60mph and sometimes at idle. Although I feel mine may not be as bad as some here. It doesn't happen all the time. I mainly feel it in the steering wheel while around 60mph and I can see it physically shake if I remove my hands. It doesn't bother me enough to deal with the dealer and I do plan on getting new rims soon (keep stock tires)...curious to see if that makes any difference.

2019 Signature CX-5 with the same vibration. Original set of rims were road force balanced (they were really out of whack). Got the car back and same issue. Dealer thought tires had flat spots from sitting on the lot 2 months and hoped it would fix itself. It didn't. Then they swapped a NEW set of wheels/tires off a new delivery but did not road force balance and had us drive. Issue was still present. Finally, they searched several other vehicles and swapped a pair of wheels/tires that were the best so far but still not 100% resolved. Unfortunately, these were from a GT-R which is the wrong finish on the same style rim. Dealer is still investigating at this time.

Easiest ways to SEE the vibration is to look at steering wheel with no hands on it (do this cautiously), put the sun visors down and see if they shake, and finally check you're side view mirrors. Mine are difficult to look at because the cars in the mirror are just vibrating along.

I wonder if the hard mounted steering rack is what makes this car so sensative to tire imperfections.

Ive had my winter wheels and tires rebalanced 3 times now but the vibration is still there. The last time I had the road force checked. One tire was way out at 25 pounds. The tech clocked the tire on the rim and got it down to 16. The tires did Appear to be slightly out of round when spinning on the machine. Super frustrating.

2019 Signature CX-5 with the same vibration. Original set of rims were road force balanced (they were really out of whack). Got the car back and same issue. Dealer thought tires had flat spots from sitting on the lot 2 months and hoped it would fix itself. It didn't. Then they swapped a NEW set of wheels/tires off a new delivery but did not road force balance and had us drive. Issue was still present. Finally, they searched several other vehicles and swapped a pair of wheels/tires that were the best so far but still not 100% resolved. Unfortunately, these were from a GT-R which is the wrong finish on the same style rim. Dealer is still investigating at this time.

Easiest ways to SEE the vibration is to look at steering wheel with no hands on it (do this cautiously), put the sun visors down and see if they shake, and finally check you're side view mirrors. Mine are difficult to look at because the cars in the mirror are just vibrating along.

It seems your dealer is really trying to get to the bottom of the issue. That's more than most dealers would do in my area. That said, where do you live, where a Signature sits on the lot for 2 months? They haven't lasted more than 2 weeks around here, and that was a black one. All the others were gone in a day, or 2.

what if some of you (not all) are experiencing lane assist vibration? and maybe this is mazda's "normal feature of the car since they replicated it on other CX5s."

Well, had them put on my 2016 CX-5 GT last March. Measured initial tread depth at 8.5/32. Now at 7700 miles they measure at 8/32 at all four corners. I LOVE these tires. Much quieter that the stock Toyos. and outstanding wet road performance.

I like t he idea of them, but I junk tires at 4/32, so these literally come with only 4.5/32 of usable tread-depth in my book, and that's a real sticking point for me. At your rate, by my standards your tires will be trash-can ready at 34K miles. For a CUV, that's not really what I'm hoping for. That's longer wearing/highway driving sports car territory almost.

what if some of you (not all) are experiencing lane assist vibration? and maybe this is mazda's "normal feature of the car since they replicated it on other CX5s."

Lane assist vibration is only through the steering wheel and that is something I've intentionally tested to see if that was what we were feeling. Sadly it isn't. The vibration felt in the car is felt THROUGHOUT the entire car. Doesn't matter where you sit.

I have lane assist vibration, I also note that the ride is rather "firm", but have not experienced any annoying vibrations really. I did note that my 2015 had a similar vibration as OP (around 70-75ish), and did so with several brands of tire, but it wasn't "horrible", either. Just a minor quirk.

I imagine that CX5 is just prone to resonance vibrations of some nature for some reason. Some cars are more picky than others.

I wonder if the hard mounted steering rack is what makes this car so sensative to tire imperfections.

That's what I've been thinking. The only real isolation the steering rack gets from the road itself is isolation bushings in the front suspension and subframe. The right speed, temperature and other conditions could be producing sympathetic vibrations or resonance. Harmonics are a fascinating subject to study.

There seems to be a considerable amount of evidence that these cars were not exposed to a great variety of roads or testing conditions during development.

That's what I've been thinking. The only real isolation the steering rack gets from the road itself is isolation bushings in the front suspension and subframe. The right speed, temperature and other conditions could be producing sympathetic vibrations or resonance. Harmonics are a fascinating subject to study.

There seems to be a considerable amount of evidence that these cars were not exposed to a great variety of roads or testing conditions during development.

Nah, I was noting it in every aspect of my '15. Seats, console, etc.

Agreed!

My only issue with this claim is that some component had to have changed to exacerbate the issue. Harmonic frequencies are definitely a thing and I feel that Mazda, with their kodo design that covers the peace of mind while driving and their attempts at removing all these issues, would have done something to test and lessen the impact of these issues.

My reason for blaming a new component is that there's few to no reports of this issue with CX-5's prior to the 2019 update.

Someone on reddit mentioned these as a possibility, just don't know if Mazda uses them for transport: https://jalopnik.com/one-thing-you-should-ask-the-vw-dealer-before-driving-y-1699484922

Does anyone driving a 19 NOT have this issue?

Does anyone driving a 19 NOT have this issue?

currently on 850 miles on odo, no issues and ive pushed the car at 80+ mph more than a handful of times. I drive in NYC our roads aren't the best out there, but I have yet to experience any type of vibration.

Last edited:
I like t he idea of them, but I junk tires at 4/32, so these literally come with only 4.5/32 of usable tread-depth in my book, and that's a real sticking point for me. At your rate, by my standards your tires will be trash-can ready at 34K miles. For a CUV, that's not really what I'm hoping for. That's longer wearing/highway driving sports car territory almost.

I calculate his rate of use will be 69K. There are 9 five tenths increments to 4/32, 9X7700 is 69K.

2019 gt T 2700km and zero issues. Other then the wind almost ripping off my door one day. All is good!

My only issue with this claim is that some component had to have changed to exacerbate the issue. Harmonic frequencies are definitely a thing and I feel that Mazda, with their kodo design that covers the peace of mind while driving and their attempts at removing all these issues, would have done something to test and lessen the impact of these issues.

My reason for blaming a new component is that there's few to no reports of this issue with CX-5's prior to the 2019 update.

Someone on reddit mentioned these as a possibility, just don't know if Mazda uses them for transport: https://jalopnik.com/one-thing-you-should-ask-the-vw-dealer-before-driving-y-1699484922

Many of the changes made to the car in the 2017 update were meant to up the level of refinement. These were mostly tricks though and not major changes to chassis components or design. For the most part I think they do work, but what myself and a few others are asserting is that under certain circumstances they can sometimes hurt more than they help. Everything in engineering is about trade-offs. Mazda is very adamant about not wanting to soften the suspension itself (the damping rates, sway bar stiffness, etc) because it dilutes handling and steering ability. But..... they need to get more refinement because they are moving their brand up-market so these fluid filled bushings and other little tricks are their way of doing that. Whenever you are using a rubber or fluid bushing as an isolator, though, how it behaves depends on a lot of conditions and variables. There are certain frequencies of vibrations, for example, that they will stop better than others.

It's reasonable that some of the vibration issues are harmonic vibrations that the new mounts are not adept at absorbing. The specific texture of certain roads combined with other conditions (speed, temp) can create harmonic resonance and some specific frequencies may be able to pass through the bushings into the vehicle structure.

Pure theory on my part of course. I like to think about the potential causes of things.

When this happens, will someone please shift into neutral to lower revs to idle and see if the vibration persists.

When this happens, will someone please shift into neutral to lower revs to idle and see if the vibration persists.

Just curious what youre expecting from this. Myself and the OP have had the issue resolved with better quality tires.

Im really kicking myself for getting cheaper Yokohama snow tires that wont balance. I should have spent the extra $80 on some Michelins.

Back