2019 Signature Vibration/Shake

Unknown. I would say yes but Seminole reported it on his 18 which was non turbo... I also have seen it on some of the CX9 forums.

That thread is not about highway speed vibrations. Its for the liquid filled engine mount that freezes and vibrates the vehicle at idle and lower speeds.

100% not specific to the turbo models. As I noted in my first response to this thread, I drove 2 GTs and a Reserve, all had highway vibration issues.

Resolution: After dealing with this since new, the resolution was to go from Toyo A36, Continental TrueContact Tour, to finally Michelins Premier LTX tire. The Michelins fixed the issues entirely.

Discount tire showed me how other manufactures piece together their tires in strips of 8-9 inches but Michelin does it in like 1-2 inch strips. This makes the tire much more uniform and balanced. I was so happy when I drove away, got on the freeway and it didnt do the shake anymore. Hard to believe that roadforcing those continentals many times didnt get it right. I guess the 19 wheels and CX5 is very sensitive to any variation in tire and balancing.

Saturday I got a call and it went to voicemail from Mazda. It said that both the dealer and Mazda believe this to be a normal feature of the car since they replicated it on other CX5s.

I promptly emailed them to say it was resolved. Also that if they say its a normal feature, to advertise it as such and see how many they sale. Like wtf, whos car does that shake and calls it a feature. Which I also asked my rep in the email if her car did this, did her coworkers?? Anyway, finally its over and I can truly be happy with the 35k+ that was spent on this car.

Resolution: After dealing with this since new, the resolution was to go from Toyo A36, Continental TrueContact Tour, to finally Michelins Premier LTX tire. The Michelins fixed the issues entirely.
Excellent information, and many thanks for keeping the forum informed.
It is my experience on this, and other forums, that many posters start a thread with a problem, and then they are never heard from again.
It's frustrating when no solutions are posted, so I for one appreciate your updates and follow up.
Thanks again. Cheers.

Just to chime in. My 2018 (bought in November) had a vibration issue. Mainly when the engine was cold but would start around 40 mph and get worse at highway speed. When I got my AA/ACP installed I had them take a look.

Of course they said they couldn't duplicate but balanced the tires. The adviser then told me since the car is new the suspension needed to settle. I called BS but whatever. I thought I would be in for a long road with this. However, a few weeks later, it got better. Each week was better and now, about 2.5k miles later no vibration issue.

Per 2001birdowner, let's not confuse things here. The other thread has nothing to do with harmonic imbalance in wheels. It is about the engine/transmission mounts freezing up in sub -25C temperatures and causing excessive vibration at low engine RPM. It's completely unrelated to unbalanced tires/wheels.

That thread is not about highway speed vibrations. It*s for the liquid filled engine mount that freezes and vibrates the vehicle at idle and lower speeds.

100% not specific to the turbo models. As I noted in my first response to this thread, I drove 2 GTs and a Reserve, all had highway vibration issues.

Last edited:
JMM-thats excellent news!!. Interesting that this tire resolved the issue for both of us.

Unfortunately, after having the Yokohama snow tires on Sport Edition wheels rebalanced this weekend, my vibration issue is still there. 3 of the 4 wheel and tire assemblies required rebalancing when I took them to a shop that has resolved balancing issues for me in the past.

Im going to put the stock wheels with the Michelins back on this week (after the next round of snow passes) to make sure I didnt imagine the issue being resolved.

Once I confirm that, Ill need to talk to Tirerack to see if they can help me find a shop near by that has a Road force balancing machine. I bought the car 120 miles away, so Id rather not go back there for this set.

Resolution: After dealing with this since new, the resolution was to go from Toyo A36, Continental TrueContact Tour, to finally Michelin*s Premier LTX tire. The Michelin*s fixed the issues entirely.

Discount tire showed me how other manufactures piece together their tires in strips of 8-9 inches but Michelin does it in like 1-2 inch strips. This makes the tire much more uniform and balanced. I was so happy when I drove away, got on the freeway and it didn*t do the shake anymore. Hard to believe that roadforcing those continentals many times didn*t get it right. I guess the 19* wheels and CX5 is very sensitive to any variation in tire and balancing.

Saturday I got a call and it went to voicemail from Mazda. It said that both the dealer and Mazda believe this to be a normal feature of the car since they replicated it on other CX5s.

I promptly emailed them to say it was resolved. Also that if they say it*s a normal feature, to advertise it as such and see how many they sale. Like wtf, who*s car does that shake and calls it a feature. Which I also asked my rep in the email if her car did this, did her coworkers?? Anyway, finally it*s over and I can truly be happy with the 35k+ that was spent on this car.

I've had Michelin Premier LTX's on my '18 touring since day 1 (I aways get rid of OEM tires), and have been very happy with them both for excellent traction in snow, and very smooth ride on highway.
Have 8000 miles on them now; will be happy if I get 40,000.

How widespread is this problem? I take possession of 2019 Signature on Wednesday.

Unknown really... I mean the dealer had me test drive another CX5 Signature and it did it. Then they reported to Mazda Corp they test drove another and it did the same. I will say it seemed lesser on the one I test drove but still there. Its been a few days and a lot of highway driving on the Michelins. I still feel no vibration whatsoever.

This can't be a Gen 2 issue - my 17 is fine - so something changed more specific to the 19.

I agree with others to check the driveshaft balance.

Resolution: After dealing with this since new, the resolution was to go from Toyo A36, Continental TrueContact Tour, to finally Michelin*s Premier LTX tire. The Michelin*s fixed the issues entirely.

Discount tire showed me how other manufactures piece together their tires in strips of 8-9 inches but Michelin does it in like 1-2 inch strips. This makes the tire much more uniform and balanced. I was so happy when I drove away, got on the freeway and it didn*t do the shake anymore. Hard to believe that roadforcing those continentals many times didn*t get it right. I guess the 19* wheels and CX5 is very sensitive to any variation in tire and balancing.

I promptly emailed them to say it was resolved. Also that if they say it*s a normal feature, to advertise it as such and see how many they sale. Like wtf, who*s car does that shake and calls it a feature. Which I also asked my rep in the email if her car did this, did her coworkers?? Anyway, finally it*s over and I can truly be happy with the 35k+ that was spent on this car.
Gawd...they're getting like Hyundai.."We can't fix it, many cars do it, so it's normal"..

While my own dealership hadn*t had any complaints, I decided to swap out the Toyos for the Michelins. Another plus is the Michelin Premier LTX performance in wet weather and lack of hydroplaning which is a big deal here.

only problem I heard about the Michelins was poor mileage. Any real world experience out there?

Resolved: 19 Signature Vibration/Shake

only problem I heard about the Michelins was poor mileage. Any real world experience out there?
For 225/55R19, Michelin Premier LTX carries most expensive price tag、thin tread depth (8.5/32" when new)、heavier than many others (27.34 lbs.)、lesser maximum inflation pressure (44 psi instead of 51 psi like OE Toyo A23 / A36).

Resolved: 19 Signature Vibration/Shake

Excellent information, and many thanks for keeping the forum informed.
It is my experience on this, and other forums, that many posters start a thread with a problem, and then they are never heard from again.
It's frustrating when no solutions are posted, so I for one appreciate your updates and follow up.
Thanks again. Cheers.
+1!

Although Michelin Premier LTX did resolve OP's issue, I do believe there's something else involved which makes most gen-2 or 2019 CX-5 much more sensitive to the very minor imbalance on tires and wheels where even road-forced balance couldn't resolve the issue. The OE Toyo A23 doesn't have such issue on my 2016 CX-5, so as any of such complaint in the past until now.

Well, had them put on my 2016 CX-5 GT last March. Measured initial tread depth at 8.5/32. Now at 7700 miles they measure at 8/32 at all four corners. I LOVE these tires. Much quieter that the stock Toyos. and outstanding wet road performance.

Back