Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 Signature Vibration/Shake

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Resolved: 19 Signature Vibration/Shake

So... brand new off the truck 2019 CX-5 Signature purchased 1/18/19 with 3 miles.

Began to notice vibration/shimmy between 68-72 mph. Very consistent.

Long story short: multiple road force balances of the original Toyo A36 tires, a complete change of tires to Continental Contact Tour, and road force of those 2 times. I still have the same issue.

While you may think itís crazy I changed the tires. I come from a Subaru Outback and EVERYTIME I used their service center it was ďoh thatís normal operation.Ē

So today I called the service manager at the Mazda dealer I purchased at. He was quite irritated I purchased new tires. I also kept the old ones. I guess this is a good thing. I donít expect them to pay for the new tires at all.

Appointment is tomorrow morning for a ride with technician, and determining next steps. Iím really curious what in the heck is causing this, itís quite irritating to say the least. Everytime I would leave the discount tire Iíd think itís resolved, then a big let down when I got on the highway.

Resolution: After dealing with this since new, the resolution was to go from Toyo A36, Continental TrueContact Tour, to finally Michelinís Premier LTX tire. The Michelinís fixed the issues entirely.

Discount tire showed me how other manufactures piece together their tires in strips of 8-9 inches but Michelin does it in like 1-2 inch strips. This makes the tire much more uniform and balanced. I was so happy when I drove away, got on the freeway and it didnít do the shake anymore. Hard to believe that roadforcing those continentals many times didnít get it right. I guess the 19Ē wheels and CX5 is very sensitive to any variation in tire and balancing.

Saturday I got a call and it went to voicemail from Mazda. It said that both the dealer and Mazda believe this to be a normal feature of the car since they replicated it on other CX5s.

I promptly emailed them to say it was resolved. Also that if they say itís a normal feature, to advertise it as such and see how many they sale. Like wtf, whoís car does that shake and calls it a feature. Which I also asked my rep in the email if her car did this, did her coworkers?? Anyway, finally itís over and I can truly be happy with the 35k+ that was spent on this car.
    Last edited by jmm3807; 02-17-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Snowflake White Pearl

Is this on a newer concrete highway with a grooved surface? I've found my '17 can shake quite noticeably at those same speeds on that particular kind of road. It seems to be fairly temperature and humidity dependent too. My assumption was that the isolation bushings in the suspension are encountering a very specific vibration frequency that they are sympathetic too and are not filtering effectively. It's most noticeable in the steering wheel, which shakes like something out of an old GM X-body car under those conditions.

My gut never really told me to suspect the tires, mostly due to the very specific set of conditions that need to be present. I think it's oscillation in the suspension that only occurs when just the right ingredients for it are present.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Bearing or drive shaft. These would be on my checklist.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

So Discount Tire got the road force balance lbs under 10. Which is really good.

Even after that it continued. Went to Mazda. Road with one tech he sorta felt it, he thought it was the road so we went on a different road and same thing. Sorta felt it. Haha.

The manager wanted me to drive a brand new signature. So I did. With a different tech. He felt it in the new one.

We went back to dealer. I explained that if this is normal then it should be explainable. Furthermore it shouldnít be normal. They agreed, they are opening a case with Mazda hotline. They are also concerned that they will have more than 1 complaint on this considering the brand new one does it. And so it continues....

Registered Member

2018 CX 5 TOURING

He was irritated that you purchased new tires?! That's rich.

First thing I did when I got my new '18 CX 5 was to replace the OEM A36 tires with Michelin Premier LTX's. Had a scary experience with OEM tires on a Subaru Forester once; never again!

2014 CX-5 GT w/ Tech

I had/have this same issue. You can feel the vibration through the whole car (the sun visors even are vibrating a bit when in the down position) and I even had it where the steering wheel would physically shake. The dealer tried multiple times to fix it and couldn't resolve it. We even drove new ones on the lot that had the same thing. The only thing they could do is keep road force balancing the tires over and over but that still didn't make it go away completely. I eventually found an independent shop with a road force machine that was able to get the wheels even more in balance and that took care of it mostly but it's still there. Even on perfectly flat and smooth brand new asphalt. I even had done the same as you and ditched the Toyos for Pirellis.

I'm in agreement with CatsPaw that it most likely has something to do with the new liquid bushings on the 2017+ models because my 2014 never did this and a 2016 loaner I had while they were looking at my car didn't do it either.

Current: 2017 CX-5 GT Machine Gray
    Past: 2014 CX-5 GT w/Tech Crystal White
    Hardwired V1 - (click here for instructions: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-a-Valentine-1)

Registered Member

Cx5

Iím convinced Mazda has an issue with balancing at the factory and uses defective tires and or bent wheels.

Iíve purchased 2 new Mazdaís in the past 3 years. A 16 3 GT manual hatch and a 16.5 Cx5 GT.

Both vehicle had vibration issues at highway speeds. You could see and feel it in the steering wheel over 60.

On the 3, new tires balanced at an independent shop resolved the issue. On the Cx5, rebalancing at an indepent shop removed the majority of it.

Itís incredibly frustrating to purchase a new car and have this happen. As frustrating as it is, Iíll be looking at Cx5 GTR to replace the 3. Mazda just really dials in the driving experience for the class with exception of this issue. Iíll probbaly drive 2-3 GTRs this weekend. Iíll reply after with whether or not they have this problem.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature; 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF/GT/LE

My Signature doesn't have this issue, but the '16 CX-9 purchased new DID.

When checked, all four wheels were WAY out-of-balance.
    A proper rebalance solved the issue.
    2019 Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 Signature
    2017 Machine Gray Metallic MX-5 Miata RF/GT/MT Launch Edition
    2019 Racing Orange MX-5 Miata RF/MT 30th Anniversary Edition on order
    27 Mazdas since 1974

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by jmm3807 View Post
    While you may think it*s crazy I changed the tires. I come from a Subaru Outback and EVERYTIME I used their service center it was *oh that*s normal operation.*

So today I called the service manager at the Mazda dealer I purchased at. He was quite irritated I purchased new tires. I also kept the old ones. I guess this is a good thing. I don*t expect them to pay for the new tires at all.
    He could be thinking he has to pay for it - otherwise many owners upgrade their OEMs.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Registered Member

Cx5

Drove a Grand Touring Reserve and 2 Grand Tourings yesterday, all had noticeable vibrations that could be felt through out the car and in the steering wheel.

I wound up purchasing the reserve. They rebalanced wheels ans tires and it was only slightly better. They then pulled the wheels off another vehicle and rebalanced those. Vibration is still there.

Going back next weekend to have hem road force balanced.

Registered Member

Iím curious what happens in your case. So far the dealer has not heard back from Mazda Corp hotline. They will call again Monday for status.

After changing the tires and feeling it in the test drive of the brand new one they had me do, Iím concerned itís normal.

But even so the dealer agreed it canít be just classified as norm when itís clearly not norm in other vehicles. We shall see.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 19 Signature Vibration/Shake

Iím curious what happens in your case. So far the dealer has not heard back from Mazda Corp hotline. They will call again Monday for status.

After changing the tires and feeling it in the test drive of the brand new one they had me do, Iím concerned itís normal.

But even so the dealer agreed it canít be just classified as norm when itís clearly not norm in other vehicles. We shall see.
    Yeah apparently itís ďnormalĒ for gen-2 CX-5 and not much the dealer can do to eliminate this vibration issue. I believe, like CatsPaw and Seminole suspected, the problem is from new liquid bushings on gen-2 CX-5. The severe vibration issue in extremely cold weather on gen-2 CX-5 is also caused by new liquid engine mounts and Mazda canít resolve the problem so far other than let dealer to replace the liquid engine mounts with rubber engine mounts. There canít be that many wheels which require ďroad-forcedĒ tire/wheel balance for vibration issue. I have never had a need to use road-forced balance to eliminate vibration. Must be something else other than tires and wheels!

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by ceric View Post
    Bearing or drive shaft. These would be on my checklist.
    I agree, got to check them. There might have been a bad batch.

Registered Member

https://youtu.be/IV3yXR3DRSw

Showing how my stuff shakes inside the vehicle during my commute and otherwise lol. You can see the shake varies as I change speeds, also you can hear the zipper shake throughout.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

https://youtu.be/IV3yXR3DRSw

Showing how my stuff shakes inside the vehicle during my commute and otherwise lol. You can see the shake varies as I change speeds, also you can hear the zipper shake throughout.
    Like the vibration issue on Honda CR-V a couple of years ago, majority of the owners didnít notice it or didnít care. If you donít feel the same vibration on your previous vehicle, I believe the issue is there. You should call Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations in person and complain the issue. I simply donít believe ďroad-forcedĒ tire/wheel balance is the proper resolution. Itís something on design, very likely is the new ďliquidĒ bushings used in front suspension.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast