Performance Chips

I know this type of question risks getting mostly "guesses" as few people would have actually tested HP improvements on a dynometer and will use a very wishful thinking rear-end seat meter, but what the heck.

I've used ECU chip performance upgraded for Japanese cars long ago. The ones that typically "really" worked you had to FedEx your ECU box to have it reprogrammed. I ran across these units which plug into the OBD2 port. Let's try to refrain from going off on tangents about "why do you want to do this" or "doesn't the void your warranty" or "I would guess..." Looking for either someone knowledgeable in specifically what these units or doing, or better yet, someone that actually objectively has tested the performance increase.

I would guess these units are simply doing what most ECU performance upgrades do, they advanced the timing to take advantage of running higher octane (premium gas). The HP gains are of course nowhere near the 30, 40 HP gains they say you "may" get. Maybe you would with exhaust and intake mods in combination.

The other thing that perplexes me is why three different units at three different prices. They can only perform the same mod and the knock sensor will prevent any upgrade from going to far on the timing advance so I would guess the higher priced unit is just that, a higher priced unit and no real advantage over the $50 cheaper version - just taking advantage of use human's and the placebo effect (well it MUST be better because it cost more!)

My guess is you'd probably get at most 10% more HP (16 HP) if you installed one of these and ran 91+ octane fuel, assuming they aren't a total scam.

https://www.performancechiptuning.com/mazda/cx-5/

Latest posts

Back