Turbo: nobody home?

Glad I saw this thread. Not even going to bother test driving a turbo then.

"Feel alive"

Lol because a couple people on the internet are having issues?

I feel I should remind everyone that Mazda held its CX-5 turbo press event in freezing Canada and NONE of the reviewers had this problem.

Let the posters reach out to the dealerships before jumping to conclusions. If the problem is real, I highly suspect its a mere software fix.

In a lot, if not all of the Canada reviews I watched, there was snow on the ground. This isnt something you would notice when driving in conditions like that.

I still really like the car. Im just disappointed that the performance isnt consistent. Its really counter intuitive to think a car would lose power in cold weather.

Last edited:
Yeah I hope they get it sorted out for you folks.

However, Lets not forget. There were complaints in the early CX9 reviews about one of the nanny features being overly aggressive. I Think it was related to the Smart Braking System over-reacting when approaching traffic. Mazda eventually dialed it back enuff via programming not to be over bearing. Reviewers seem satisfied. Im thinking this will end up going the same way.

Well this is incredibly frustrating. Purchase a $35k vehicle rated at at 310 pound feet of torque, but oh btw, you won*t get that power below 60mph if it*s below freezing...really Mazda?

It hasn't been above freezing here in over a week. Not to mention, it has only been above freezing a handful of days since we bought our's at the end of December. I have never had this issue, so it is not widespread.

In a lot, if not all of the Canada reviews I watched, there was snow on the ground. This isnt something you would notice when driving in conditions like that.

I still really like the car. Im just disappointed that the performance isnt consistent. Its really counter intuitive to think a car would lose power in cold weather.

If its as bad as some of you guys claim, that would have been noticeable even in the snow.

This wouldnt be noticeable in the snow. Unos Tests are WOT runs up to 80. Not something you can do in the snow.

When I posted the other day, I noticed it during 3/4 to WOT from a stop to 40.

Sig- How often are you driving your vehicle like that?

Its not something you would notice under most normal driving conditions.

Then what is all the fuss about? Gotta admit I questioned why anyone would floor their car in frozen conditions. Cant be great for the car, turbo or not.
Eh? I floor mine all the time. Got any hilly on ramps?

Then what is all the fuss about? Gotta admit I questioned why anyone would floor their car in frozen conditions. Can*t be great for the car, turbo or not.

It's a safety issue. Anyway, it just ain't right.
If the car [or any machine] doesn't respond the way it's supposed to and you expect it you, you can get in a heap o' trouble fast.

I'm sure Mazda will be able to fix it once they know what's happening.

I had quite a few issues with my Santa Fe 2.0 Turbo (2014). Tech said each time the Wastegate was out of tolerance and needed to be adjusted. Was not an all-the time issue but when it was it was bad. Never thought about outside temperature, though.

When I posted the other day, I noticed it during 3/4 to WOT from a stop to 40.

Sig- How often are you driving your vehicle like that?

It*s not something you would notice under most normal driving conditions.

It's my wife's daily, but she picks me up from the train station a few times a week. She is a passenger on the way home. The drive is always the same. There is one place where I merge onto a main road from a side street, where I get on it full throttle up to about 50. There are other times I drive it enthusiastically, where I've gone full throttle and not had any issue. That's not to say it will never happen, but I have not experienced it. Your post made it seem like it happens to you every time it's below freezing. Is that true?

Then what is all the fuss about? Gotta admit I questioned why anyone would floor their car in frozen conditions. Cant be great for the car, turbo or not.
If that little blue light is off on my dash board, then I'm looking for opportunities to floor it. This is not bad for most cars in any temperature.

If it*s as bad as some of you guys claim, that would have been noticeable even in the snow.

Not really. You would lose traction in the snow far before this became apparent. Also, I didn't know it was being such a pud until I put it on the clock. You will note that the acceleration from 0-10 is the same as from 70-80 pretty much. This tells me that it's absolutely a tune issue. One that I will badger Mazda about until they tell me more.

Further, who's to say that it's NOT limiting based on tire slip? 310# is a decent amount of torque, especially at 2000rpm, and 300 treadware tires are certainly not something I expect to be worth anything at 13*F. My 370Z would have roasted even its' 275's or whatever in those temps in 1st gear and it didn't have near the torque. I'm very divided on how I feel about this, honestly. I plan on contacting Mazda until I get answers.

Looking and thinking more about this, I really think it's just eliminating tire spin before it happens. Facts:

-310tq @ 2000rpm
-300 treadware rated tires of 225 series
-cold AF outside

To test this theory, I need to punch it in the rain during a warm time, or rather, when water is on the road, and see how it reacts, if I get the same "slow 0-60" or if it spins. If it just goes slow AF, then I have my answer. Stoopid aggressive TC with great "logic", just prevents me from knowing things could be bad before they are. Not my thing, but it's fine.

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party, but I just read the posts and watched SavageGeese's YouTube review. His test area is 30 minutes east of me and I can confirm it has been brutally cold here for the last 2 months. We've also had quite a bit of precipitation and deceptively slick roads(even for winter). Lately I've noticed my '14 with AWD has been able to break the tires loose on what appears to be dry pavement, so add 120+ ft lbs to the equation and I believe we have a traction issue. However, my '14 will throw a traction light at me when it happens. I didn't see that on Unob's video. I'm curious to see what the turbo owners discover, and if it persists into the spring.

I'm a little late to the party, but I just read the posts and watched SavageGeese's YouTube review. His test area is 30 minutes east of me and I can confirm it has been brutally cold here for the last 2 months. We've also had quite a bit of precipitation and deceptively slick roads(even for winter). Lately I've noticed my '14 with AWD has been able to break the tires loose on what appears to be dry pavement, so add 120+ ft lbs to the equation and I believe we have a traction issue. However, my '14 will throw a traction light at me when it happens. I didn't see that on Unob's video. I'm curious to see what the turbo owners discover, and if it persists into the spring.

TSC has been re-vamped and is more robust nowadays it seems, being non-defeatible.

I've had my GTR for just over a month now. 2100 miles and I have not had this problem at all. It's been very cold here in the Boston area and while I'm no boy-racer, I'm not afraid to push it to merge on the highway. Mine has plenty of getup and go.

I tested this on my drive home after work yesterday (in my CX-9). -10 degrees Celsius, car had been driven for about 30 mins so engine was up to temp. I did a WOT run from 0 to 70 km/hr with the TSC on, and a WOT run from 0 to 80 km/hr with the TSC off. Car performed the same in both tests. No loss of power was noted and acceleration was consistent all the way to about 4300 rpm. Car has Shell 91, engine oil is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 (full synthetic).

I suspect it may be some sort of tuning quirk in the CX-5 (possibly in the 6 as well?). Interested to hear what comes out of Uno's contact with Mazda.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2) on the OEM wheels.

Last edited:
Back