Turbo: nobody home?

I agree it does sound like a tuning issue. Maybe Mazda prioritized traction over performance. So they are cutting power to make sure no tires slip when accelerating hard. Since the AWD system is smart enough to know it is very cold and slick outside, it probably just cuts power from a stop to make sure tires don't slip and posssibly avoid an accident. Only way to tell is check the timing values with an OBII reader. Compare it with the car's timing values when its relatively warm and accelerating hard from a stop.

I agree it does sound like a tuning issue. Maybe Mazda prioritized traction over performance. So they are cutting power to make sure no tires slip when accelerating hard. Since the AWD system is smart enough to know it is very cold and slick outside, it probably just cuts power from a stop to make sure tires don't slip and posssibly avoid an accident. Only way to tell is check the timing values with an OBII reader. Compare it with the car's timing values when its relatively warm and accelerating hard from a stop.

This ties in with their bad skidpad results secondary to non-defeatable TCS.

Right, the traction control and stability cant be fully defeated. I still think it could be the culprit.

Wish it was above freezing here.... and more snow tomorrow. I already have several feet on either side of my driveway! [emoji849]

Well, it's above freezing now. I will go try it again in a bit before bed.

Thanks for taking the time to test and document this. Interested to see your results. The low speed punch is what I'm looking for, and if that's inconsistent and deemed a feature/not a bug, I may reconsider depending on what the general consensus is. I'd be worried about the inconsistency for safety reasons - quick acceleration to avoid something from a stop, for instance - unless its so rare its a non-issue.

Cold and humid conditions could mean the roads are slick. Which goes with my theory of pulling power to prevent traction loss before it even happens.

Could beI don't know why the OP left this info out, but the reviewer specifically said it only happened when the temperatures were in the teens. I have never heard this about turbocharged engines before from other folks. Frankly, I doubt I will watch another one his videos. There are better reviewers out there.

-kp

And I didnt realize the magnitude of power reduction till unob posted this. Definitely thought it was more like heat soak before which is an order of magnitude difference imo.

Hopefully the power reduction is calculated based on wheel spin. If it is, then the solution is grippier tires. If however it is a preset value based on the tune and not taking account wheel spin, then no matter what tires you put on, it will always cut power in the same conditions.

Well...discovered this tonight, myself. Turbo was home, but something is up. 0-60 in about 10 seconds, 0-85 in about 16 seconds. I was running 91 octane. Still, that's a HUGE gap in performance from what SHOULD be happening. It IS 12*F out. I turned TC/stability control off, and couldn't even squeak a tire neither on a shift or stomping it from a stand-still. The vehicle was plenty warmed up as I'd driven it for half an hour.

My only explanation for this is that Mazda has tuned it to pull mad timing in the cold to prevent loss of control/spinning at low speeds/launch. It still felt find from a 60mph punch. If anything was "off" bad enough to add 4 seconds to my 0-60 times, it would have lit the dash up like a christmas tree.

I will call Mazda in the morning and get answers. If this is a feature...okay...weird flex, Mazda...weird flex. But if it's a bug, I want it fixed yesterday.

So the "thing" that couldn't be real strikes the biggest naysayer. Can't wait to hear what developes.

How's the crow taste, unob?

Well, it's above freezing and MUCH punchier. Here is a video taken from the same location using the same methods. Yes, the ground is un-even I can see this in daylight, but what really matters is that it is a night and day (haha) difference, and the vehicle FEELS much much stronger, as you can easily see.

(keep in mind I am using 91 octane and not 93, also, the ground is not level, further, C&D and most "testers" use a 1' roll-out method, which can lop 0.3 seconds off of a 0-60mph run. All-in-all, this seems to indicate that my vehicle is performing exactly to par.).

So the "thing" that couldn't be real strikes the biggest naysayer. Can't wait to hear what developes.

How's the crow taste, unob?

Likely has nothing to do with the fact it's turbo, and rather, how Mazda tuned it. It's also not random. Since I don't have a boost gauge (thanks...Mazda...), I cannot disprove any other assertions about "the turbo randomly not working".

It has been below zero here for weeks now and this is the way my car has been running the entire time. There are days when the engine is so dead it isn't capable of getting up to 75mph on the interstate. I'm sure that sounds like an exaggeration. Sadly, it's not. At this point I consider it a safety issue to be honest. It's understandable that modern cars pull timing somewhat in certain circumstances, but it shouldn't have to be done this severely and I know of no other engine that does so this dramatically.

Between this, the torture seats and the worn out massage chair vibrations from the transmission mount I'm ready to fix the problem by not owning this car anymore.

It has been below zero here for weeks now and this is the way my car has been running the entire time. There are days when the engine is so dead it isn't capable of getting up to 75mph on the interstate. I'm sure that sounds like an exaggeration. Sadly, it's not. At this point I consider it a safety issue to be honest. It's understandable that modern cars pull timing somewhat in certain circumstances, but it shouldn't have to be done this severely and I know of no other engine that does so this dramatically.

Between this, the torture seats and the worn out massage chair vibrations from the transmission mount I'm ready to fix the problem by not owning this car anymore.

What has your dealer done to assist? Did the tech say anything when you took them along for a drive to replicate the issue?

Looks like you have a non-turbo?

Likely has nothing to do with the fact it's turbo, and rather, how Mazda tuned it. It's also not random. Since I don't have a boost gauge (thanks...Mazda...), I cannot disprove any other assertions about "the turbo randomly not working".

Indeed, no one knows why this is happening to your car and others, or if it has anything to do with what I experienced or SG mentioned. Or if it's random or not.

But the point is that it is happening-- "it" being turbos not performing as expected.

Awareness of the problem is the first step toward a solution.

I'm so glad it happened to you specifically, because I know you'll work hard on it.

Well this is incredibly frustrating. Purchase a $35k vehicle rated at at 310 pound feet of torque, but oh btw, you wont get that power below 60mph if its below freezing...really Mazda?

Strange that there arent reports of this on the cx-9. Perhaps we can all be hopeful that this can turn into a tsb that requires minor retuning.

Would be great if someone could get an obd2 reader to get some data logged.

It was in the teens today when I was driving home. No doubt power is reduced under 60. 1st and 2nd are almost sluggish. What a let down.

Glad I saw this thread. Not even going to bother test driving a turbo then.

"Feel alive"

Back