Turbo: nobody home?

Octane compensation had occurred to me also but if he*s bellow 4k I dunno.

Or just a tuning quirk.

Maybe it's a quirk of exhaust flow that somehow keeps the "butterflies" closed longer than should be, and limits air to the turbo?

After driving a GT-R for a few weeks now, I know exactly what Savage Geese is talking about. Sometimes I get on it and the throttle response is there but it just feels like its lacking power.

Today I noticed it on the way into work. After 8 miles at 75 I got off the highway and had to stop for a red light at the end of the exit. Light turned green and I stomped on it expecting the 310 ft pounds to thrust me to 40 in no time. Not quite what happened. It got me there just didnt push me into the seat like it should have. Shifted at about 4K into second in auto non sport mode.

I was only stopped at the light for a few seconds and its 10 degrees, so heat soaking shouldnt be the issue.

As a rule of thumb on my non turbo but tuned cx5, I almost always turn TCS off when I'm moving from a stop ( I tend to wring first gear). And click it back on when I move to D. Might wanna try it.

As a rule of thumb on my non turbo but tuned cx5, I almost always turn TCS off when I'm moving from a stop ( I tend to wring first gear). And click it back on when I move to D. Might wanna try it.

What does turning the TCS off moving from a stop accomplish?

I legit don't know.

Ive been using shell v-power 93, so octane isnt a problem. It could be a combination of all the things folks are mentioning(hopefully not the manifold valve malfunctioning). It was only in the single digits today, so weather could be playing a big factor. However, in my experience, colder temps have helped performance. This is my first turbo charged vehicle though.

Im thinking it might just be the way this car feels. I took the long home today get more time behind the wheel. If I roll into the throttle around 2500 when the car is already moving, it feels great. If I just stomp on it from a stop, Im not impressed. It could be that all that torque is dropping off around 4K and the 250 HP just feels meh compared to the 310 ft pounds.

If only Mazda installed a boost gauge so that I could feel better about there not being an actual problem.

I*ve been using shell v-power 93, so octane isn*t a problem. It could be a combination of all the things folks are mentioning(hopefully not the manifold valve malfunctioning). It was only in the single digits today, so weather could be playing a big factor. However, in my experience, colder temps have helped performance. This is my first turbo charged vehicle though.

I*m thinking it might just be the way this car feels. I took the long home today get more time behind the wheel. If I roll into the throttle around 2500 when the car is already moving, it feels great. If I just stomp on it from a stop, I*m not impressed. It could be that all that torque is dropping off around 4K and the 250 HP just feels meh compared to the 310 ft pounds.

If only Mazda installed a boost gauge so that I could feel better about there not being an actual problem.

I sincerely doubt it's the manifold valve. I know I talk some s***, but Mazda has consistently been VERY on-point with their SA-G (T/NA) engine designs. I don't honestly think we can point to any SA non-diesel engine and say "See? that's a model to avoid because..."

I simply mentioned it because it is always possible. Likely? Doubt it, but it is certainly a thing.

Well...discovered this tonight, myself. Turbo was home, but something is up. 0-60 in about 10 seconds, 0-85 in about 16 seconds. I was running 91 octane. Still, that's a HUGE gap in performance from what SHOULD be happening. It IS 12*F out. I turned TC/stability control off, and couldn't even squeak a tire neither on a shift or stomping it from a stand-still. The vehicle was plenty warmed up as I'd driven it for half an hour.

My only explanation for this is that Mazda has tuned it to pull mad timing in the cold to prevent loss of control/spinning at low speeds/launch. It still felt find from a 60mph punch. If anything was "off" bad enough to add 4 seconds to my 0-60 times, it would have lit the dash up like a christmas tree.

I will call Mazda in the morning and get answers. If this is a feature...okay...weird flex, Mazda...weird flex. But if it's a bug, I want it fixed yesterday.

Last edited:
That seems like a large difference. I think its safe to rule out heat soak but even if it was it shouldnt reduce the power that much IMO.

That seems like a large difference. I think it*s safe to rule out heat soak but even if it was it shouldn*t reduce the power that much IMO.

Who knows, but yeah, it FELT weak as hell, too. It's honestly not something I'm very happy about right now. Felt totally gutless.

We've not experienced this (yet), but shouldn't it also be an issue with the CX-9? I did a quick search, but nothing stood out.

We've not experienced this (yet), but shouldn't it also be an issue with the CX-9? I did a quick search, but nothing stood out.

Wait until it gets cold AF and then floor it. It won't even squeak a tire, and takes FOREVER to accelerate.

My 2015:

My 2019 GT-R:

*possible error is that maybe the road isnt as flat as it looked and I actually went up hill. Still...thats stoopid huge in difference for a slope I couldnt see. This is also doubtful because you can see that the turbo accelerates much harder at 70+. Its obviously got low speed issues vs the 2015. On a slope, this is highly unlikely scenario.

Last edited:
Wait until it gets cold AF and then floor it. It won't even squeak a tire, and takes FOREVER to accelerate.

It's been hovering between 0 and 10 degrees f here lately. I have not had that issue, but will keep an eye out for it.

It's been hovering between 0 and 10 degrees f here lately. I have not had that issue, but will keep an eye out for it.

Yeah, mine is way slower than the 2015 I traded in. Becoming pretty unhappy about these facts. See videos above for massive performance disparity.

Back