Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo: nobody home?

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

I do not follow/subscribe to SG videos. I did watch the video after the initial post here and took notice of his mention. Must have been an outlier type issue because no other reviewers mention an issue at all. I noticed that Straight Pipes have a new video review and they seemed to have no issues and seemed fairly positive about the CX-5. While they lean to an entertaining type video review they are typically open about performance. They speak of it right at the start of the video. Like they gave a not so good review of the Ford Edge ST.

Straight Pipes Video https://youtu.be/voOy5pHI_Zo

So far most of what I have seen about the CX-5T has been really good for a CUV not really being touted as a performance model like the Edge ST.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Yeah, it's rare AF, and noone but you seems to have experienced it so far per this forum. It's not "something that just sometimes happens" like missing a shift with a standard or having a gas-cap not seal and throw a code.

Further, I never indicated that it could not ever happen, only that if it could, there was a definite "why" behind it. It's not just a "oh, sometimes..."
    For probably the 2nd time ever I 100% stand with Uno. This is not some thing a normally functioning turbo engine does. Period. I've had a 4 Turbo cars and drive one still today, and even the one if them that had a failing turbo (99 9-3);didn't even exhibit this issue. I was a moderator in a Saab board and I've seen more posts About failing turbo...flat out occasional loss of power isn't even a symptom of a failing turbo.
    Last edited by 7eregrine; 01-30-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: I

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Sticking waste gate? Ed

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I still think itís just a tuning issue and not necessarily an engine problem. Could even be drive by wire issue with the throttle.

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

I have not watched the review. I have a 2013 Speed3 and I have not experienced power loss like what was described in OP. My guess is, he was flooring it at a certain speed and it caused the transmission to downshift to a gear that put it at like 5K RPM or somewhere in the rev range where it is out of steam already. And so there was no power until the transmission would move on to the next gear.

Edit: Does turning Sport mode on, on a turbo CX-5 allow it to rev past 5k RPM? If so, then that would explain it. The car could have downshifted to a gear that put the revs at 5.5K RPM and it revved all the way to the redline before shifting gears. It would not have had full power during that time.
    Last edited by finch204; 01-30-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

The OP is just referring to a comment from sg in his review. I think he probably didnít diagnose what was going on since itís just a press car with limited time. FWIW he also mentioned that he didnít experience it with the turbo in the 6.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I don't think that the anomaly SG (the reviewer) mentions is related to downshifting, he probably would have identified it as such.
    Yea the guy is pretty in tune (pardon the pun) with whatís going on. So I would agree itís probably not just the gear.

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Turbos have an intercooler and the hotter the setup gets, the less power it puts out.

Racers will put icebags on the intake charge to cool it down. The hotter the air, the less power. The cooler the air, the more power it makes

Also, if the sensors detect knock, the computer will pull timing, reducing power.

Registered Member

Cx5

SG has talked about this before with other turbo vehicles. I think he mentioned it when reviewing the turbo Ford Taurus.

My concern with his comments on the Cx5 and this issue is that he mentions it happened when it was cold(teens). Which kind of rules out heat soak.

I suppose the cold weather thing could be a result of the many sensors in the awd system pulling power to prevent loss of traction.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    I have not watched the review. I have a 2013 Speed3 and I have not experienced power loss like what was described in OP. My guess is, he was flooring it at a certain speed and it caused the transmission to downshift to a gear that put it at like 5K RPM or somewhere in the rev range where it is out of steam already. And so there was no power until the transmission would move on to the next gear.

Edit: Does turning Sport mode on, on a turbo CX-5 allow it to rev past 5k RPM? If so, then that would explain it. The car could have downshifted to a gear that put the revs at 5.5K RPM and it revved all the way to the redline before shifting gears. It would not have had full power during that time.
    THIS is an interesting theory.

Any turbo owners willing to test it out?

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 3 5-door

I have the GTR and have experienced something like this (in non-sport mode) where it feels like the pull under hard acceleration varies a bit. The variance is barely noticeable though, not something I would describe as an ďissueĒ. At no point has it ever felt slow or underpowered or laggy and I suspect itís still significantly faster than the NA engine every single time.

Registered Member

was 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav, now 190ps DSG Tiguan 4M

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    THIS is an interesting theory.

Any turbo owners willing to test it out?
    Never had that happen, with the diesel I had the highest it would rev in auto was 4.5K in kickdown which if I remember correctly for a 2015 car is max power. Red line was 5.2K, the auto mapping should prevent any over revving.

Registered Member

was 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav, now 190ps DSG Tiguan 4M

Quote Originally Posted by 2001birdowner View Post
    SG has talked about this before with other turbo vehicles. I think he mentioned it when reviewing the turbo Ford Taurus.

My concern with his comments on the Cx5 and this issue is that he mentions it happened when it was cold(teens). Which kind of rules out heat soak.

I suppose the cold weather thing could be a result of the many sensors in the awd system pulling power to prevent loss of traction.
    With the diesel the auto will take the revs higher before changing with a cold engine, during normal driving.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by xtrailman View Post
    With the diesel the auto will take the revs higher before changing with a cold engine, during normal driving.
    I think they all do that. Ours certainly does. (2.5 NA)

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast