Turbo: nobody home?

Agree. You don't need to spend 8k more to get something nice. That's BS.
A top of the line RAV4, CRV, Cherokee, Forester looks pretty good to most buyers.
They are all probably cheaper at this point, too, then a Signature. When I bought my GT it was a few dollars cheaper then everyone else.
8 grand? For what? A HUD? Hyundai has that. Hell, Signature money gets you a Cherokee Trailhawk with the V6. Hell yeah.

When I looked at the Cherokee there was a thing or 2 that I didn't like....I'm not reaching out to Jeep. Noone would.
Edited my post without realizing there were any replies. My bad. Here it is.
Point being obviously I love Mazda. But you don't need to spend 8 grand to get something as nice.

Last edited:
Edited my post without realizing there were any replies. My bad. Here it is.
Point being obviously I love Mazda. But you don't need to spend 8 grand to get something as nice.

That's true if you don't consider hp/tq and driving dynamics in your decision.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about the Signature and GT-Reserve models only (the ones that come with the 2.5T). To get something that competes with the 2.5T, you do have to spend more. Even if you were to go with the Cherokee Trailhawk and the Pentastar 3.2 V6, you only get 240tq. Something more comparable would be their new 2.0T.

That's true if you don't consider hp/tq and driving dynamics in your decision.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about the Signature and GT-Reserve models only (the ones that come with the 2.5T). To get something that competes with the 2.5T, you do have to spend more. Even if you were to go with the Cherokee Trailhawk and the Pentastar 3.2 V6, you only get 240tq. Something more comparable would be their new 2.0T.

The cheapest "better" than the CX5 turbo models is the Alfa Stelvio. They are on sale in the high 30's for 2018's right now, but picking a vehicle discounted by $10K is kindof cheating/proving the point.

Escape Titanium with the 2.0T.

Close, but the 5-60 is over a second laggier, and the 0-60 almost a second laggier. Also, the 1/4 mile trap speed is about 8mph slower. That's literally a 2003 Cobra vs. a 2003 Mach 1. Next level differences.

Not saying its better per se. Its an option though. Also 2020 might be quicker (8 speed) and adds Hybrid.

Not to mention the average consumer doesn't give a s*** about a 1 second difference to 60. It's an SUV... Not a sports car.
Hmm.... Where have I heard that before?
A miniscule amount of people are going to pay 8 grand more.... For 1 second.

Not to mention the average consumer doesn't give a s*** about a 1 second difference to 60. It's an SUV... Not a sports car.
Hmm.... Where have I heard that before?
A miniscule amount of people are going to pay 8 grand more.... For 1 second.

It's part of luxury. It's the least important aspect of the whole package, but it IS a very important one, especially when you're upgrading to a "sporty" trim level.

I spoke with one of the more experienced techs at the dealership. His personal CX9, I believe a 2017 he said, is doing this same thing and he took great interest in my observations, but as of yet says nothing has been said about it that he is aware of.

I spoke with one of the more experienced techs at the dealership. His personal CX9, I believe a 2017 he said, is doing this same thing and he took great interest in my observations, but as of yet says nothing has been said about it that he is aware of.

That's interesting, I didn't think the issue extended to the CX-9. I thought it might have been limited to the -5 because it's easier to wind up than the heavier -9, and it has AWD while the Mazda6 doesn't. This means that even the Mazda6 could have this quirk.

Back