Turbo: nobody home?

One reason for the chipping issue is the newer, greener paint formulations increasingly mandated by governments. The paint protective film idea is ironic: lets get rid of volatiles in the paint, and then cover it with a plastic, adhesive-backed sheet!

Unlocked ALL the horsepowers!

Not sure about other places...back in the 90's-2000's in SoCal, kids would steal the 91 octane stickers from gas stations and put them on their gas doors. Proven fact it increased HP by 3%.

Teaching the kid proper washing technique.
d697d72a9f703a0a327799cc4c8001d1.jpg

I see last week you taught him how to hold an AK47, this week its how to wash a car. You sir get my vote of approval.

Then you and others need to pick up the phone and call Mazda until they provide an answer. They WILL get tired of people calling about it at some point.

why would a potential buyer need to call Mazda? If a potential buyer thinks there is an issue, they will simply eliminate Mazda from their list. I live in the Northeast and was considering a Reserve, getting a little spooked now.

why would a potential buyer need to call Mazda? If a potential buyer thinks there is an issue, they will simply eliminate Mazda from their list. I live in the Northeast and was considering a Reserve, getting a little spooked now.

That's likely what most people would do, if they could afford to increase their budget. Right now, to get anything "better" than a CX-5, you have to pay at least $8k more. Buyers who can't afford to spend that much more should call Mazda to get answers before settling for something else. Of course, they don't have to, just saying that if they want answers or if they want change, they have to do something about it.

Basically, things don't get better until they're complained about. Mazda (and every other automaker) needs to hear people complain so that they know what to improve.

That's likely what most people would do, if they could afford to increase their budget. Right now, to get anything "better" than a CX-5, you have to pay at least $8k more. Buyers who can't afford to spend that much more should call Mazda to get answers before settling for something else. Of course, they don't have to, just saying that if they want answers or if they want change, they have to do something about it.

Basically, things don't get better until they're complained about. Mazda (and every other automaker) needs to hear people complain so that they know what to improve.

Even at 8K, you get something that's kindof a wash, IMO

And assuming that $8K more is buying you an Acura RDX, based on their forums you'd be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Not only does the RDX entertainment system's boot time make Mazda's look speedy in comparison; it likes to crash, gives contradictory navigation instructions on the center screen vs. in the HUD, and still doesn't support Android Auto. Several owners also report total power loss during highway driving, misbehaving transmissions, AWD failures, a litany of squeaks and rattles after just weeks of ownership, etc.

I had a pleasant albeit short drive in an RDX last week, but I'd have to be out of my mind to buy a vehicle with such a collection of serious complaints, few of which have been addressed in the year that the RDX has been on the market.

Some owners over there say, "Well all forums have people complaining about rare issues," but the largest complaint here about the CX-5 seems to be in this very thread. And in the grand scheme of things, being unable to put down all 310 lb. ft. of torque when it's well below freezing is a pretty small inconvenience.

And assuming that $8K more is buying you an Acura RDX, based on their forums you'd be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Not only does the RDX entertainment system's boot time make Mazda's look speedy in comparison; it likes to crash, gives contradictory navigation instructions on the center screen vs. in the HUD, and still doesn't support Android Auto. Several owners also report total power loss during highway driving, misbehaving transmissions, AWD failures, a litany of squeaks and rattles after just weeks of ownership, etc.

I had a pleasant albeit short drive in an RDX last week, but I'd have to be out of my mind to buy a vehicle with such a collection of serious complaints, few of which have been addressed in the year that the RDX has been on the market.

Some owners over there say, "Well all forums have people complaining about rare issues," but the largest complaint here about the CX-5 seems to be in this very thread. And in the grand scheme of things, being unable to put down all 310 lb. ft. of torque when it's well below freezing is a pretty small inconvenience.

Wow, I had no idea the RDX had such issues. The "misbehaving transmissions" note is my main reason for staying away from 8-, 9-, 10-speed and CVT transmissions. I like that the 6-speed is quite predictable, but that's probably just the oldtimer in me being resistant to change. The squeaks and rattles are inexcusable if you're competing in the luxury market with the likes of Infiniti, Lexus, etc. It's a market that puts comfort close to the top of the pyramid, squeaks and rattles should not happen so early on.

The misbehaving transmission is the previous gen with the ZF 9 speed. While ZF makes some great transmissions the 9 speed transverse has been a bit of a train wreck.

They are now using an in house 10 speed.

The misbehaving transmission is the previous gen with the ZF 9 speed. While ZF makes some great transmissions the 9 speed transverse has been a bit of a train wreck.

They are now using an in house 10 speed.

The in-house 10-speed misbehaves as well, although (based on posts from RDX owners who previously had the TLX with the ZF9), not as badly as the 9-speed. I managed to catch the 10-speed in the RDX flat-footed twice in a 20min test drive. If you're slowing but don't actually come to a complete stop (say, at a traffic light that turns green when you're down to 10mph) and step on the gas, there's absolutely no throttle response for a full 1.5-2 seconds. It's almost like the transmission is thinking, "Oh, we're not done after all? Okay, let me put my shoes back on...".

Easily reproducible, and plenty of complaints about it on the RDX forum. Now to be honest in the same situation Mazda's 6-speed auto isn't always in the right gear, but it's at least always in a gear and you get some kind of throttle response. Audi had the same issue with their 7-speed DSG when the 2017 A4 launched, but they managed to tune it out for the 2018s (and in typical VAG fashion, left existing owners to twist in the wind), so I don't doubt that Honda/Acura's 10-speed can be similarly tamed.

All things considered, I'm quite happy that the new Mazdas I'm looking at use the same 6-speed auto that I know, trust, and like. I don't mind being a beta tester in my professional life as a computer engineer, but not on personal $30K+ vehicle purchases, thanks.

Yea that is something most autos will do...... sport modes and manual override helps. But bottom line is it cant read your mind. The 9 speed issues are a bit more severe.

Agree. You don't need to spend 8k more to get something nice. That's BS.
A top of the line RAV4, CRV, Cherokee, Forester looks pretty good to most buyers.
They are all probably cheaper at this point, too, then a Signature. When I bought my GT it was a few dollars cheaper then everyone else.
8 grand? For what? A HUD? Hyundai has that. Hell, Signature money gets you a Cherokee Trailhawk with the V6. Hell yeah.

When I looked at the Cherokee there was a thing or 2 that I didn't like....I'm not reaching out to Jeep. Noone would.

Last edited:
Agree. A top of the line RAV4 looks pretty good toost buyers.

The rav4 hybrid offers legit benefits though. Decent performance (similar to a non turbo cx5, hair faster), while having an epa rating of 41mpg city, 38 highway.

It was pretty hard for me to turn away from that. The 0-60 disparity of 1-1.25 seconds is honestly what did it, but Id have a hard time buying a nonturbo cx5 over that hybrid. Thats almost 2x better mpg than my last cx5 got, with better acceleration.

The rav4 hybrid offers legit benefits though. Decent performance (similar to a non turbo cx5, hair faster), while having an epa rating of 41mpg city, 38 highway.

It was pretty hard for me to turn away from that. The 0-60 disparity of 1-1.25 seconds is honestly what did it, but Id have a hard time buying a nonturbo cx5 over that hybrid. Thats almost 2x better mpg than my last cx5 got, with better acceleration.
If MPG is your primary consideration, sure. From what I've read the Toyota still has an awful ride.

I just dont like how Toyota tunes their cars. 2020 Escape could be interesting. Also will have a hybrid and I believe they licensed Toyotas system.

If MPG is your primary consideration, sure. From what I've read the Toyota still has an awful ride.

I haven't driven one to comment, but it's very hard to argue 40mpg with similar capabilities of hauling stuff as a cx5, plus toyota reliability. I made my choice, but it wasnt a landslide decision.

Back