Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Turbo: nobody home?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post
    I'm struggling to absorb the level of hyperbole in this thread. I've got 2600mi on my GTR here in the Boston area and have no complaints about the performance levels on my 80mi round trip commute every day. Acceleration when merging/passing etc., is terrific. I suppose I might see some performance difference in the cold, if I were doing traffic light drags with some guy in a pony car, but that's not me.

For those of you running away from the turbo based on the panic in here........ DON'T! I'm thrilled with my GTR and I'll bet you would be as well.
    Thank you for a voice of reason! Back to the dealership I go!
    FiveG
    ----------------------
    2007 CX-9 Alumni
    Looking to soon be a CX-5 owner

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Turbo: nobody home?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Still waiting on. Friend requested him and messaged on Facebook, actually. He has not seen my message yet, it shows. If this doesn't pan out, I will pursue other things.
    Thatís why I was thinking that getting one of the YouTube influencers like Savageese to pick it up would help. They are much much less likely to ignore him and heís gone after auto manufacturers over issues before like the synchro issue with Honda.
    Last edited by jthj; 03-14-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    That*s why I was thinking that getting one of the YouTube influencers like Savageese to puck it up would help. They are much much less likely to ignore him and he*s gone after auto manufacturers over issues before like the synchro issue with Honda.
    SavageGeese has been contacted, and seen this thread and my videos.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    SavageGeese has been contacted, and seen this thread and my videos.
    Cool, hopefully this goes somewhere.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

I'm struggling to absorb the level of hyperbole in this thread. I've got 2600mi on my GTR here in the Boston area and have no complaints about the performance levels on my 80mi round trip commute every day. Acceleration when merging/passing etc., is terrific. I suppose I might see some performance difference in the cold, if I were doing traffic light drags with some guy in a pony car, but that's not me.

For those of you running away from the turbo based on the panic in here........ DON'T! I'm thrilled with my GTR and I'll bet you would be as well.
    Good to remember. In fact, we've only heard from unob and IIR one other owner with this problem. It may not be a systemic problem. It may be isolated to a small number of vehicles, or it might be a one-off failure, even a one time glitch. Then again....

An anecdote or two does not indicate a widespread problem. But it definitely requires attention and analysis and a solution, for the customers' sake, and for the company's sake.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Snowflake White Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    This is the guy who drove his previous Mazda like a grandma, as he admitted. Not worth a reply.

Re: dense air. Turbos prefer lower density. They don't have to work as hard.

https://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/medi...asonal-weather.

"As air temperature increases the density of the air, and the amount of oxygen it holds, decreases. This means that the turbocharger has to work harder, spin faster and compress more air to produce the same amount of boost it would at lower temperatures."
    This information is only correct in abstraction. Yes, generally speaking colder and more dense air is beneficial to a turbocharger, but there are other factors in play besides that. In fact it's pretty likely that the turbo itself is not really a contributor to the power loss issue. My assertion is that it is retardation of ignition timing, and after seeing the reply from the Mazda rep it makes total sense that the air/fuel ratio is also a likely culprit. The engine is deliberating de-tuning itself under these conditions as a protective measure. Most modern cars do this to some extent, it seems Mazda is just more heavy-handed about it than most. They may very well have their reasons too.

Now that the temperatures are something resembling normal (only a little below freezing) my car is running normally again and making normal power. People seem to be suggesting there is a lot of hyperbole going on in this thread but I've always been clear with my own posts that this is happening to me because it has been extremely and unseasonably cold in my part of the country. I also have not exaggerated the power loss. Twice the car was incapable of achieving interstate speeds, even with the accelerator floored. That's suggested more than half of the available horsepower is missing going by power to weight ratios and how fast the car should be able to go with a given amount of HP.

I think what people reading this thread need to take away is that unless you live further north and are going to be bothered by the fact that your car will run like crap when it's crazy cold out there isn't really anything to be concerned about here. This problem has limited scope.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

This is where your story points more to an isolated problem as opposed to a design issue. If it was widespread, there would be a much larger uproar than we are seeing here. I'm just outside of Boston and have made my trip up toward the city every weekday since getting my GTR on Feb 4th. It's been mighty cold here and quite a few of those mornings I made the trip in single digit temps. I haven't seen anything close to what you are reporting.

My suggestion would be to get it to the dealer for a look-see. Something isn't right with your car.

Quote Originally Posted by CatsPaw View Post
    I also have not exaggerated the power loss. Twice the car was incapable of achieving interstate speeds, even with the accelerator floored. That's suggested more than half of the available horsepower is missing going by power to weight ratios and how fast the car should be able to go with a given amount of HP.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

I think what people reading this thread need to take away is that unless you live further north and are going to be bothered by the fact that your car will run like crap when it's crazy cold out there isn't really anything to be concerned about here. This problem has limited scope.
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet you're right that it's pulling timing. When it was happening in my old Forester, they eventually fixed it after flashing the ECU three times. They wouldn't tell me what they were changing, but it's likely it was timing. Service tickets never listed anything else than the flashing. And it would make sense because the problem felt like retarded timing, and because retarding timing is the easiest way to protect the engine. I always figured it was happening because it was the first year for that engine in that configuration, and I was running it almost always at higher elevations. Thus it had a bug or two.

But I strongly disagree that there isn't a problem. I wouldn't [didn't] accept it in my new car. This is more than heavy-handed tuning, this is extreme and irrational. Could be dangerous.

And I have no doubt Mazda can fix it.

Registered Member

This is where your story points more to an isolated problem as opposed to a design issue. If it was widespread, there would be a much larger uproar than we are seeing here. I'm just outside of Boston and have made my trip up toward the city every weekday since getting my GTR on Feb 4th. It's been mighty cold here and quite a few of those mornings I made the trip in single digit temps. I haven't seen anything close to what you are reporting.

My suggestion would be to get it to the dealer for a look-see. Something isn't right with your car.
    You're right in that my case could be unique. I've said that myself as well. But other people with NA engines have experienced the car "going weak" when it gets very cold. It could be that I was just a little colder and experienced it more severely than they did. The problem is not an on/off switch, it gets progressively worse the colder it gets.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

It has been below zero here for weeks now and this is the way my car has been running the entire time. There are days when the engine is so dead it isn't capable of getting up to 75mph on the interstate. I'm sure that sounds like an exaggeration. Sadly, it's not. At this point I consider it a safety issue to be honest. It's understandable that modern cars pull timing somewhat in certain circumstances, but it shouldn't have to be done this severely and I know of no other engine that does so this dramatically.

Between this, the torture seats and the worn out massage chair vibrations from the transmission mount I'm ready to fix the problem by not owning this car anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    What has your dealer done to assist? Did the tech say anything when you took them along for a drive to replicate the issue?
    Have you taken it to the dealer to get the issue sorted out? Best to do it before the weather warms up and the "issue" disappears.

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

Has anyone tried to have a tech reproduce the issue? Or reproduce the issue with a tech onboard? I mean everyone with a 2019 CX-5 turbo should still have their bumper to bumper warranty. If it is really an issue, let the techs have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    Has anyone tried to have a tech reproduce the issue? Or reproduce the issue with a tech onboard? I mean everyone with a 2019 CX-5 turbo should still have their bumper to bumper warranty. If it is really an issue, let the techs have at it.
    My thoughts exactly. Standard process is dealer diagnosis, then escalate to MNAO if unhappy with the result. Instead everyone is doing their own testing while throwing various theories out as possible explanations.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

I don't believe there is anything wrong with my vehicle. By wrong I mean "diagnostically wrong" as in not operating as designed. I think the car *is* operating as designed, and that's why it bothers me. I could be wrong about that and acknowledge the possibility, but my gut says this is the way the ECU in my car works. I'm just not thrilled about it.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with my vehicle. By wrong I mean "diagnostically wrong" as in not operating as designed. I think the car *is* operating as designed, and that's why it bothers me. I could be wrong about that and acknowledge the possibility, but my gut says this is the way the ECU in my car works. I'm just not thrilled about it.
    Well forget the dealer diagnostic and the testing a tech might perform to get you a resolution. If your gut is telling you it's normal, so be it.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

Trust me...... If your car cannot reach highway speed, no matter how cold it is, there's a problem that the dealer needs to address.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast