Turbo: nobody home?

holy-thread-derail-batman.jpg

Still no word from Dave C., Uno?

Would be awesome if he could comment on this. Its been warmer here(30s) and there is a noticble increase in performance.

Now, if only I could figure out the sloppy shift into second, electronic buzz from the dash and highway vibration from the snow tires, I would be happy....

Y'all are talking me out of this whole turbo business. [emoji16]
After owning 5 turbos, one currently, they all thrive(d) in the colder air.

Mines not.
This is the guy who drove his previous Mazda like a grandma, as he admitted. Not worth a reply.

Re: dense air. Turbos prefer lower density. They don't have to work as hard.

https://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/media/blog/do-turbochargers-perform-differently-seasonal-weather.

"As air temperature increases the density of the air, and the amount of oxygen it holds, decreases. This means that the turbocharger has to work harder, spin faster and compress more air to produce the same amount of boost it would at lower temperatures."

Last edited:
This is the guy who drove his previous Mazda like a grandma, as he admitted. Not worth a reply.

Re: dense air. Turbos prefer lower density. They don't have to work as hard.

https://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/media/blog/do-turbochargers-perform-differently-seasonal-weather.

"As air temperature increases the density of the air, and the amount of oxygen it holds, decreases. This means that the turbocharger has to work harder, spin faster and compress more air to produce the same amount of boost it would at lower temperatures."

Right, I understand the turbo is happy, but why is Mazda tuning the car this way, is my question? It's counter-intuitive. Mazda CS is worthless and has blown me off, saying finally "We dunno, take it to dealer if broken" basically.

Ah...but what about cold dense air? Boost creep is a thing, and I dunno what other parameters.

My thin air was due to higher elevation > lower pressure > less oxygen, making the turbo work harder.

Another parameter is humidity. More humidity > less density. Was it very humid when it happened?

But you're absolutely right, what you're experiencing is counter-intuitive. It doesn't make sense. And it definitely should not be happening. It should work right under any conditions that aren't insane. 13 above is not insane.

So it might be reasonable to conclude that they didn't deliberately tune it that way. It might be an unforeseen anomaly in their engine control software. It might be a malfunction of a sensor. Whatever... it remains to be seen.

I hope you'll keep on Mazda like stink on s*** until you get answers and a fix.

This thread has me derailed in decision process. I am (or was) close to pulling the trigger on a 2019 * either a GT with premium or a GTR. I*m in CT, but do spend a fairly good amount of time in VT and put close to 20k miles on a car each year. If the turbo (or even the NA ) is going to crap out in cold, I*ve got an issue.

This thread has me derailed in decision process. I am (or was) close to pulling the trigger on a 2019 * either a GT with premium or a GTR. I*m in CT, but do spend a fairly good amount of time in VT and put close to 20k miles on a car each year. If the turbo (or even the NA ) is going to crap out in cold, I*ve got an issue.

Then you and others need to pick up the phone and call Mazda until they provide an answer. They WILL get tired of people calling about it at some point.

I'm struggling to absorb the level of hyperbole in this thread. I've got 2600mi on my GTR here in the Boston area and have no complaints about the performance levels on my 80mi round trip commute every day. Acceleration when merging/passing etc., is terrific. I suppose I might see some performance difference in the cold, if I were doing traffic light drags with some guy in a pony car, but that's not me.

For those of you running away from the turbo based on the panic in here........ DON'T! I'm thrilled with my GTR and I'll bet you would be as well.

My thin air was due to higher elevation > lower pressure > less oxygen, making the turbo work harder.

Another parameter is humidity. More humidity > less density. Was it very humid when it happened?

But you're absolutely right, what you're experiencing is counter-intuitive. It doesn't make sense. And it definitely should not be happening. It should work right under any conditions that aren't insane. 13 above is not insane.

So it might be reasonable to conclude that they didn't deliberately tune it that way. It might be an unforeseen anomaly in their engine control software. It might be a malfunction of a sensor. Whatever... it remains to be seen.

I hope you'll keep on Mazda like stink on s*** until you get answers and a fix.

I will. I am like a terrier.

I'm struggling to absorb the level of hyperbole in this thread. I've got 2600mi on my GTR here in the Boston area and have no complaints about the performance levels on my 80mi round trip commute every day. Acceleration when merging/passing etc., is terrific. I suppose I might see some performance difference in the cold, if I were doing traffic light drags with some guy in a pony car, but that's not me.

For those of you running away from the turbo based on the panic in here........ DON'T! I'm thrilled with my GTR and I'll bet you would be as well.

Thank you for a voice of reason! Back to the dealership I go!

Still waiting on. Friend requested him and messaged on Facebook, actually. He has not seen my message yet, it shows. If this doesn't pan out, I will pursue other things.

Thats why I was thinking that getting one of the YouTube influencers like Savageese to pick it up would help. They are much much less likely to ignore him and hes gone after auto manufacturers over issues before like the synchro issue with Honda.

Last edited:
That*s why I was thinking that getting one of the YouTube influencers like Savageese to puck it up would help. They are much much less likely to ignore him and he*s gone after auto manufacturers over issues before like the synchro issue with Honda.

SavageGeese has been contacted, and seen this thread and my videos.

Good to remember. In fact, we've only heard from unob and IIR one other owner with this problem. It may not be a systemic problem. It may be isolated to a small number of vehicles, or it might be a one-off failure, even a one time glitch. Then again....

An anecdote or two does not indicate a widespread problem. But it definitely requires attention and analysis and a solution, for the customers' sake, and for the company's sake.

Back