Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 230

Thread: Turbo: nobody home?

  1. #1
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,682

    Question Turbo: nobody home?

    Watched the SavageGeese review last night, and one comment struck me as very worrisome. It was at the very end. He mentioned that once in awhile he'd punch it and not get the performance he was expecting, in other words reduced or no boost. He stated that's why he's not crazy about turbos in general, cause that often happens. I know exactly what he's talking about, because my old turbo would do that very rarely, but most memorably when passing on a 2 lane with a semi coming at me-- not good. I almost jammed my foot thru the floor.

    My question is have any of you new turbo owners experienced this at all?

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    6,976
    That's really weird. I've never heard of that, or hear that, from any of my friends with turbo vehicles. If it's a "thing" for real, surely there is a physics behind it and it's studied and available?

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2019 Mazda CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5
    My CX-5 isn't a turbo, but I've never experienced anything like that with my 3.5L twin turbo F-150.

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    208
    I have not experienced that in ours, nor any other turbo I've owned in the past.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    1,864
    I always thought this was known with turbos. Do ten 0-60 pulls and the later ones will all be much slower than the earlier ones. This is especially true in August in the south!
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature



  6. #6
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    That's really weird. I've never heard of that, or hear that, from any of my friends with turbo vehicles. If it's a "thing" for real, surely there is a physics behind it and it's studied and available?
    Well good, then you've learned two new things today, unob:

    1- What he described is, indeed, a thing.

    2- Something can be a thing even if you haven't experienced or heard of it. Imagine that!

    I was asking if anyone else had experienced it, not if they hadn't, thanks.

  7. #7
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Well good, then you've learned two new things today, unob:

    1- What he described is, indeed, a thing.

    2- Something can be a thing even if you haven't experienced or heard of it. Imagine that!

    I was asking if anyone else had experienced it, not if they hadn't, thanks.
    If you ask whether or not someone has experienced something, they either have, or they haven't. Either way they're answering your question.

    If you were only looking for responses from those who have experienced the issue, then you should have phrased your question as such.

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 Touring White

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    199
    Maybe I don't exactly understand the question, but it sound like the notorious "Turbo Lag." It is often a comment by performance car reviewers and another is torque steer.
    Some turbo models are much worse than others and there are those that have gone to great extents over the years to reduce or eliminate turbo lag altogether.
    Some manufacturers slap a turbo on the engine and don't care.

  9. #9
    Registered Member Kaps's Avatar
    Donated: $15

    CX-5 Touring 2016.5

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lewisville North Dallas Suburb
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Watched the SavageGeese review last night, and one comment struck me as very worrisome. It was at the very end. He mentioned that once in awhile he'd punch it and not get the performance he was expecting, in other words reduced or no boost. He stated that's why he's not crazy about turbos in general, cause that often happens. I know exactly what he's talking about, because my old turbo would do that very rarely, but most memorably when passing on a 2 lane with a semi coming at me-- not good. I almost jammed my foot thru the floor.

    My question is have any of you new turbo owners experienced this at all?
    You think this is bad? Some last gen VW Turbos - has such bad lag (not boost) that taking a quick left with oncoming traffic was scary.
    Repeated runs you get less boost due to temperature - really not a thing if you use the turbo occasionally.

    Official Defender of Zamdatm

  10. #10
    Registered Member

    CX-5

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Smoky Mtn area of TN
    Posts
    21
    I have to agree re: Turbo lag versus an issue with turbos in general. I've owned turbo cars since 2004 and never experienced any type of loss of power EXCEPT when hitting the rev limiter on the top end :-)

    In terms of turbo lag, I always knew how to minimize by keeping my RPM's up and just under where the turbo(s) spooled up when I needed to pass someone quickly. Otherwise, I have no clue.

  11. #11
    Registered Member Kaps's Avatar
    Donated: $15

    CX-5 Touring 2016.5

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lewisville North Dallas Suburb
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    Maybe I don't exactly understand the question, but it sound like the notorious "Turbo Lag." It is often a comment by performance car reviewers and another is torque steer.
    Some turbo models are much worse than others and there are those that have gone to great extents over the years to reduce or eliminate turbo lag altogether.
    Some manufacturers slap a turbo on the engine and don't care.
    Not lag, repeated dyno runs give you less and less power each time.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  12. #12
    Registered Member CX-5um's Avatar

    13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    2,887
    I think he meant Mazda tuned the turbo 2.5l into non beast mode. For good reason= Reliability, less torque steer on FWD models, and of course mpgs.

    Mazda designed it to provide 310lbs tq but in a controlled manner.

    The cx-9 I test drove had no turbo lag issues and the auto transmission was quick.

  13. #13
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,682
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    My question is have any of you new turbo owners experienced this at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    If you ask whether or not someone has experienced something, they either have, or they haven't. Either way they're answering your question.

    If you were only looking for responses from those who have experienced the issue, then you should have phrased your question as such.
    Read it again. I was asking people with direct knowledge, not the people without. I didn't say "or not". Looking for data, not uninformed opinions. That's why I phrased it just that way.

  14. #14
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,682
    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    I think he meant Mazda tuned the turbo 2.5l into non beast mode. For good reason= Reliability, less torque steer on FWD models, and of course mpgs.

    Mazda designed it to provide 310lbs tq but in a controlled manner.

    The cx-9 I test drove had no turbo lag issues and the auto transmission was quick.
    You're right about the design. And he was actually really supportive of that, as most everybody but the boy racers are. But did you hear what he said at the end? I may have misinterpreted it, but it sounded like he was describing anomalies. You would only notice it when hammering, and it wouldn't happen every time.

  15. #15
    Registered Member Kaps's Avatar
    Donated: $15

    CX-5 Touring 2016.5

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lewisville North Dallas Suburb
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    You're right about the design. And he was actually really supportive of that, as most everybody but the boy racers are. But did you hear what he said at the end? I may have misinterpreted it, but it sounded like he was describing anomalies. You would only notice it when hammering, and it wouldn't happen every time.
    The word you are looking for is 'Certainty'. With NA, you stomp you get a very predictable response assuming road conditions etc. remain same. With Turbos - with each hard pull the power reduces a slight bit. I remember seeing repeated dyno runs on a turbo on you tube- not sure which model year but the horse power started dropping a bit with each run.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Leaving Home feature for CX-9 ( we already have Coming Home )
    By dxbcx-9 in forum CX-9 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 09:36 AM
  2. first time home buyer - condo vs home
    By jred321 in forum Lounge
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 06:34 PM
  3. Matt's home built z5 turbo thread.
    By 98b/w pro in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 12:18 AM
  4. home made turbo kit?
    By Pro Fiz in forum Mazda How-To
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-27-2003, 09:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •