New Motor Trend article comparing CX-5, RAV-4, CR-v, etc.

Go to dealer trade value.

By 2018, my 2015 CX5 had dropped to around $11K in trade-in, now it's worth $7500-9500 with new brakes and tires, based on actual offers from dealers. 103K miles.

If that is the case, I guess I will just drive the wheels off of my CX-5. I still like my Mazda and I don't have a problem with keeping it. If I keep it long enough, the trade-in would be low no matter what brand I have.

If that is the case, I guess I will just drive the wheels off of my CX-5. I still like my Mazda and I don't have a problem with keeping it. If I keep it long enough, the trade-in would be low no matter what brand I have.
Agreed. My plan is to own vehicles at least 10 years or as many miles as possible. 6 years in on my CX-5, but only 77k miles so far.

True, and that's my plan as well, at this point. I lust after all sorts of automotive things, but smart money is just to not have a car note and retire when I'm 50 because I saved $100K in cars and used it to pay off house/land stuff, so really, I probably should stop whining about residual value, but it's still frustrating that my Chrysler product was far superior in that.

Agreed. My plan is to own vehicles at least 10 years or as many miles as possible. 6 years in on my CX-5, but only 77k miles so far.

I posted in my very first post I wanted 300K miles out of this just like you'd get from a Toyota. I intend to shoot for that. I'm 1/3+ of the way there, already. By 10 years, I'll hit it...or the car will die.

I posted in my very first post I wanted 300K miles out of this just like you'd get from a Toyota. I intend to shoot for that. I'm 1/3+ of the way there, already. By 10 years, I'll hit it...or the car will die.
I got 300k on a Jeep so I expect nothing less as well.

It is a thorough article and spot on IMO. It matches most of what I could find online while doing research on other articles and on YouTube.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 2019 CRV Touring and would have been ok with my decision but went for my first Mazda and do not regret it one bit so far. Driving my CX5 feels different and more that just ok. It*s kind of fun to drive it for a compact SUV and something I had missed for with other SUV*s I owned.

Go to dealer trade value.

By 2018, my 2015 CX5 had dropped to around $11K in trade-in, now it's worth $7500-9500 with new brakes and tires, based on actual offers from dealers. 103K miles.

As I*ve said many times, trade-ins are always a ripoff. You*re essentially being charged thousands for the convenience and therefore it*s not really an indication of its true value. They*ll obviously give you more for a super popular car like the RAV4 because they*ll have great confidence that they can turn around and sell it within a few days for a profit.

Im really shocked how many people on this forum treat trade-ins as the primary option for upgrading their car.

I*m really shocked how many people on this forum treat trade-ins as the primary option for upgrading their car.

Well, in states such as IL, the trade-in value is reduced from the amount taxed. Say you get $20k on your trade. That will save you $1,600 in taxes, so you're basically getting $21, 600. Not to mention, not many people will feel comfortable selling a $20k vehicle to a stranger.

Well, in states such as IL, the trade-in value is reduced from the amount taxed. Say you get $20k on your trade. That will save you $1,600 in taxes, so you're basically getting $21, 600. Not to mention, not many people will feel comfortable selling a $20k vehicle to a stranger.
Depends on the state. California (unfortunately) as well as other states do not subtract a trade in from the amount taxed, youll pay tax on the full price of the new car regardless.

But yeah, selling a car yourself is a PITA and as you say, potentially fraught with fraud or even danger. If it takes me 2-3 days to prep and sell a car, its probably not worth the extra time and money over a trade in.

Depends on the state. California (unfortunately) as well as other states do not subtract a trade in from the amount taxed, you*ll pay tax on the full price of the new car regardless.

But yeah, selling a car yourself is a PITA and as you say, potentially fraught with fraud or even danger. If it takes me 2-3 days to prep and sell a car, it*s probably not worth the extra time and money over a trade in.

My wife won't let me sell a toaster via Craigslist or Offerup....let alone a car. She's watched too much TV stories of robberies and killings I guess. Sad story about the Uber/Lyft? driver whom got stabbed to death. Pregnant woman too.

Gee, as CX-5 owners, do ya think we're all biased to varying degrees? LMAO.

The magazines have to try to evaluate giving more or less equal weight to various aspects of the cars. But in reality, each owner has their personal preference on what's important and what's not.

I just traded in a 2010 Acura MDX on a 2019 CX-5 GT. I'm a research wonk and a "car guy" I was shopping for a mid-size AWD SUV $30K or less. I've owned lots of sports sedans in the past so I'm a driving enthusiast but have grown more conservative in my latter years (less speeding tickets is nice.) It came down to the CX-5 and the CR-V. If I recall the CRV is close to $3K more expensive while similarly equipped. The main advantage being moderately more cargo and rear seatting space from what I read prior to purchase.

The CX-5 was a no brainer. Cheaper, better driving, better looking both outside and espcially the near Lexus quality inteiror design, and a lot less common on the road. Seems like everyone and their mom is driving a CR-V these days. People really love and trust the Honda brand. To many of them, Mazda = Zoom Zoom = Young Hipsters in their Mazdaspeeds, not Reliable, Stroller Carrying Family Car, even though Mazda's SUVs can be exactly that. It's just not the brand image that comes to mind with a lot of people.

Last edited:
Depends on the state. California (unfortunately) as well as other states do not subtract a trade in from the amount taxed, you*ll pay tax on the full price of the new car regardless.

But yeah, selling a car yourself is a PITA and as you say, potentially fraught with fraud or even danger. If it takes me 2-3 days to prep and sell a car, it*s probably not worth the extra time and money over a trade in.

Exactly. I used to sell cars for a living, and I don't anymore. Not even my own. Also, yes, I do get tax credit.

Gee, as CX-5 owners, do ya think we're all biased to varying degrees? LMAO.

The magazines have to try to evaluate giving more or less equal weight to various aspects of the cars. But in reality, each owner has their personal preference on what's important and what's not.

I just traded in a 2010 Acura MDX on a 2019 CX-5 GT. I'm a research wonk and a "car guy" I was shopping for a mid-size AWD SUV $30K or less. I've owned lots of sports sedans in the past so I'm a driving enthusiast but have grown more conservative in my latter years (less speeding tickets is nice.) It came down to the CX-5 and the CR-V. If I recall the CRV is close to $3K more expensive while similarly equipped. The main advantage being moderately more cargo and rear seatting space from what I read prior to purchase. I think the main advantage of the CX5 vs. CR-V and having come CX5 is not having a piece of s*** in your driveway that wasn't even fit for sale in China.

The CX-5 was a no brainer. Cheaper, better driving, better looking both outside and espcially the near Lexus quality inteiror design, and a lot less common on the road. Seems like everyone and their mom is driving a CR-V these days. I see TONS of CX5's. It's regional probably. People really love and trust the Honda brand. Because they used to make reliable engines and transmissions (minus a few transmissions/models...) To many of them, Mazda = Zoom Zoom = Young Hipsters in their Mazdaspeeds, not Reliable, Stroller Carrying Family Car, even though Mazda's SUVs can be exactly that. It's just not the brand image that comes to mind with a lot of people. Very true on brand image. Many people over 25 or so view Mazda as a bad Ford.

Does anyone here think I'm biased to excuse anything negative about Mazda? I'm pretty damn impartial, in my own not so humble opinion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back