Auto passenger window

Bulldugg

:
Protege 5
Would like to add the auto feature to my Passenger window. My 02 S4 has them and comes in handy. Is it a matter of just switching out for the auto switch, or is there more to it. My thing is mechanicals, not electrical ( Need help changing a fuse🤣).

That looks to be pretty complicated.
There is an "auto circuit" built into the drivers side power window switch.

You would need to get another one from a junker or something and wire it into the passenger control switch as well as a three position switch swapped into the main control switch.

Last edited:
Sorry, I made this more complicated than it need be(I think). What I meant was that I wanted to put the auto switch for the passenger side on the driver side switch board. Does this mean just putting another auto switch for the passenger window next to the driver auto switch?

Sorry, I made this more complicated than it need be(I think). What I meant was that I wanted to put the auto switch for the passenger side on the driver side switch board. Does this mean just putting another auto switch for the passenger window next to the driver auto switch? From the schematic, it seems I could have a e-tech modify it

It's not just the auto switch you need, you need the auto circuit as well.
The circuit is built into the drivers side switch.

You'd have to remove your drivers side passenger side window control switch and replace it with the drivers side control switch from the donor switch and I don't know if that's possible.
You'd also have to tie the control circuit to the new passenger switch and tie that into the wires going to the passenger window.

You may be able to just simply wire the passenger control switch you already have to the auto control circuit of a donor switch but they are different switches and it might upset the control circuit.

I'm gonna go take mine off my parts car and see what I can find out.

That didn't go too well.

All the switches are directly soldered to the circuit board.

I had to remove the plastic switch covers to open the plastic box.
They were starting to crack and quite difficult to get off.

It's still possible to do what you want to do but not without great effort and cost if you hire someone to do it.
Probably not worth the effort.

Waaiiiit a minute, US/Canada has 'Auto' up/down switch for front passenger glass?? (sad1)

The switches are definitely different. And the circuits look complicated. The drivers 'Auto' switch is a slide type switch (similar to a sliding volume control on your old boombox), and all other switches on the control panel are 3 position switches. I had a similar idea a while back and put it in the too hard basket.

DSC-0059.jpg

DSC-0058.jpg

I'd like to get my hands on a US passenger side switch assembly, if it does indeed have the 'Auto' function. The Australian passenger switch has no PCB, just an electrical plug to the bottom of it. Interested to see what the US passenger switch looks like from the underside.

Last edited:
Comparing the images above, the US vs Japan/Australia switches are waaay different to each other. The US board looks a bit 'old-school' tech in comparison.

Waaiiiit a minute, US/Canada has 'Auto' up/down switch for front passenger glass?? (sad1)

No. But that's what he wants.

It's looking really difficult to do.

He might be able to control a second PCB from a donor car to make the passenger window Automatic.

A pic of the underside drivers side PCB for comparison.

DSC-0060.jpg

pcb, could you post a pic of the underside of the Canadian PCB please?

Being that you guys drive on the wrong side of the road ((laugh)), your drivers side window is our passenger side (and vice versa). So each others PCB technically has 'Auto' passenger glass. It's got me thinking if I could somehow wire the signals from the passenger switch to, in my case, the Canadian PCB and have auto passenger window? Hmmm...

I doesn't really come apart very easily.

It's heat welded or something where the connector attaches to the PCB.

I had to bend it and break it off to expose the circuit board.

I must have lost a spring for the drivers auto switch because it's doesn't pop backup when I push the button.
That one went flying when I popped it off.

Thanks pcb. Yikes! The US master switch is 'complicated'. Ours comes completely apart by undoing a few screws. Easy.

Anyways, looks like using a US switch piggybacked onto a Japan switch would be too hard, or even impossible to do.

My second idea I was working on was to use a 1st gen (2007) CX-9 master switch and modify it somehow, and changing the P5 plugs to CX9 ones to make it all work. That's still a work in progress. I like to use factory Mazda components and making them work with a bit of tinkering.

Pic's of the CX-9 master switch and connections.

cx9-1.jpg

cx9-2.jpg

Plugs are different but with the factory schematics and a bit of modifying, it could be possible.

My third option was going aftermarket. There are AM modules that can convert the passenger (or even all four windows) to auto up/down. The best most reliable module is made by Directed. Directed USA is well known in the car security land. And their 535T Power Window Automation module has pretty good reviews. There's also others brands, namely AutoLoc. But don't seem to have as good reviews.

AutoLoc power window module.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Directed Electronics power window module.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Both modules can be wired to a factory or aftermarket alarm system. Apparently can be programmed for auto up on lock and down from the factory remote fob. But I would think you would need an auxiliary channel for that, and the P5 remote fob we have has only lock and unlock. I believe US/Canada also has a 'panic' (red button) on the remote fob??

A video of the Directed 535T module working.

.... It's got me thinking if I could somehow wire the signals from the passenger switch to, in my case, the Canadian PCB and have auto passenger window? Hmmm...

I'm seeing a couple of ways of doing it.

You could install a complete left hand "control panel" from a North American car in your passenger side with only the main "auto" switch connected to your glass. That way the "molding/bezel" should fit right in.

But, only the passenger would have access to the button and the passenger switch on your main control is a three way switch (up, down and off).
And the switch needs to be a four way switch (up, down, auto down and off).
Plus you'd have wires running back and forth between the two front doors.

Another option is to get another PCB like you have in your hand.
It looks like the three other window switches plug in to the PCB and that's good because you can disconnect the passenger switch from your drivers side PCB and plug it into (solder in wires) into the second PCB and hook them into the Auto switch.

I know the passenger switch is only three way but I'm pretty sure it can be wired for.. Up, Auto down and Off.

I had my car for two years before I realized it was a four way switch.

I would always push the down button all they way (auto) and the glass would start it's way down.
When the glass was where I wanted it I would just pull the up button and it would stop.

I'm pretty sure hitting the up buttons sends a signal to the "auto circuit" to cancel the auto down.

If you do it this way, (and my guessing is correct) all your switches will stay the same, the second PCB is tucked under your control switches and it just taps into the wires going to your passenger door.

The passengers switch works the same (push and hold up and push and hold down) and your passenger button is up and auto down (until you hit the up button).

Last edited:
... I believe US/Canada also has a 'panic' (red button) on the remote fob??

Yea, we have a panic button.

I didn't get a remote with my car and Mazda wanted wanted $184 for one but I found one at a junker for $10.

I didn't have it more than two days before setting it off three times so I cut the the nib off the backside of the button to disable it.

Back