Lane Departure Warning Distance

:
Mazda CX-5 Signature
Edit: Thread title should be: Blind Spot Monitoring

Hello, name's Dan. First some background on me. I purchased a 2019 CX-5 Signature in soul red crystal metallic recently. This is the first Mazda I have driven (test drove an eternal blue mica Sig) or owned. I have owned several awd turbo sedans over the years. I traded in a 2015 Subaru WRX, so getting an SUV has been a bit of a change, but very practical here in Colorado. The CX-5 Sig was still in delivery when I made my trade-in and purchase, so my local dealer let me use a 2018 CX-5 GT loaner for three weeks. This allowed me to learn a lot of the features and get used to a CX-5. Then when I got the Sig, owe how much nicer the interior and extra power is over the 18 GT.

Ok to the topic and question at hand. The lane departure warning distance seems to be configured too far or too conservative. I know that the farther distance is safer. Is there anyway to change the setting distance before it illuminates/beeps? I know I can turn off the feature and beep, but I prefer to keep it active, but just less sensitive.

I look forward to interacting and learning from this forum.

Last edited:
Welcome Dan. Great another Coloradian?!? ,[emoji1787]
And to answer you question;. No.

Dan, I noticed the exact same thing...they'll be 2-3 car lengths behind me and the dang thing still goes off. At highway speeds it's reasonable, but sitting in slower traffic around town it's really annoying.

BTW I came from a 2013 WRX hatch. Miss it, but the CX-5 is a good option if you need any kind of practicality...

Dan, I noticed the exact same thing...they'll be 2-3 car lengths behind me and the dang thing still goes off. At highway speeds it's reasonable, but sitting in slower traffic around town it's really annoying.

I drive mostly interstate and the damn thing was beeping all the time when passing and using the blinker to get back in the right lane. I could see the entire front of the car in the rear view and it would still go off. It's a shame it can't be adjusted to driver style/preferences, but I had to shut it off or stop using my blinkers so I shut it off.
Also, I think we are talking blind spot monitoring (BSM) not lane departure warning.

Last edited:
Biggex: you're talking about the blind spot monitor thing. Not the lane assist.

as far as I know - no, cant change it from car menus.
But I think I've read somewhere it can be tuned by using oem obd equipment.

me, I personally like it that its more conservative. Keeps me even more alert.
Its no joke when somebody does not see you in the mirrors and bash onto you changing lanes. You may be surprised how many people do not look. If bsm keeps them alerts, its at least something.

If the car in the lane you are entering is approaching quickly you need the extra car lengths so they don't have to take evasive action to keep from hitting you as your slower car moves in front of them. If all cars are moving at near the same speed it is conservative...

exactly. I am happy Mazda did it that way. On my previous car it was already too late when bsm trigerred, which was even dangerous if not looking in mirrors.

If the car in the lane you are entering is approaching quickly you need the extra car lengths so they don't have to take evasive action to keep from hitting you as your slower car moves in front of them. If all cars are moving at near the same speed it is conservative...

Right, and if you've just passed someone and want to merge back, it shouldn't be so conservative in that situation.

Mazda could get this right, if they wanted. It would be easy enough to calculate the relative motion of your car vs the target, and respond appropriately. Maybe next year.

Are you listening, Mazda?

The blind spot monitor range was increased on 2017. Many people complained. I have no complaints on my 16 .

The blind spot monitor range was increased on 2017. Many people complained. I have no complaints on my 16 .

That explains the complaints. My 2014 (3 Sport, but it's the exact same system as the CX-5) has the system set to trigger at about 1 full car length behind, which is definitely close enough that it's either rude or downright dangerous to change lanes in most situations.

What's the distance on newer models?

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your 19 when you get it! We have a 2018 and it is our first car with safety features. I was a little skeptical at first but the Mazda system works really well! We have taken several trips from NJ to Myrtle Beach and were very impressed with the system.

To answer your question, you can not adjust the blind spot monitoring but maybe the dealer can do it.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your 19 when you get it! We have a 2018 and it is our first car with safety features. I was a little skeptical at first but the Mazda system works really well! We have taken several trips from NJ to Myrtle Beach and were very impressed with the system.

To answer your question, you can not adjust the blind spot monitoring but maybe the dealer can do it.

Thanks. I have had my 19 for two weeks now.

My 2014 Mazda 6 BSM is perfect. My 2018 CX-5 BSM is much too sensitive. Quite likely designed by attorneys.

Back