2019 CX-5 Diesel

Meanwhile established luxury brands (such as merc) are bringing out cars that start around 30K. It'll be interesting to see what/how mazda develops in the next 5 years

Meanwhile established luxury brands (such as merc) are bringing out cars that start around 30K. It'll be interesting to see what/how mazda develops in the next 5 years

What has this comment got to do with anything? Mercedes Benz don*t have anything that is availble for 30k in this segment.

Steamin' hard at us with all 168hp and 290# torque...

So you keep saying. We get it, you*re quite happy with the 2.5T but you*ve neither driven the diesel nor read a review from a trusted source so why not reserve judgement until then. You never know, you might be able to rubbish the diesel with some justification.

So you keep saying. We get it, you*re quite happy with the 2.5T but you*ve neither driven the diesel nor read a review from a trusted source so why not reserve judgement until then. You never know, you might be able to rubbish the diesel with some justification.

I await it...for year 2, or is it 3, now?

Wow..... $3-4k premium for less power, additional required maintenance and no mention of fuel efficiency gains? The "D" had better get 40mpg to even come close to justifying that kind of pricing.

FUEL $/GAL MPG TOT MILES LIIFETIME COST
87 oct 2.57 27 100,000 $9,518.52
diesel 2.99 29 100,000 $10,310.34

As a member mentioned before,
since the engine is already developed, they are probably releasing it to recoup some of the R&D costs.
I really don't see much advantage of the diesel engine, especially since MPG gain is nominal and the turbo beats it in HP and Torque.
However, it is a 2.2litre, so maybe it'll weigh less and have improved performance compared to the 2.5T? don't know??
but one thing, diesel gas is definitely not cheaper than 87 octane that can be used on the turbo.

Where I live diesel is about the same as 87 octane, sometimes less. But regardless, fuel cost isn't close to the same scale as the price premium for the diesel, so the diesel isn't about saving money either way.

The question is, in what ways is the diesel better than the 2.5T. It can't just be mileage to justify the thousands of dollars, because the mileage isn't that much better. It clearly isn't HP or even max torque.

Maybe it can spend most of its time at low rpm and exude a feeling of ready torque that doesn't show up in the numbers, but does in the experience. We'll have to see.

Diesel come into play if you really drive a lot of miles yearly. At least in Europe thats the main rule.
And i see this true in order to compensate for the higher price of both car and fuel. EU cx5 2.2 diesel I think is rated 38 mpg / 28,mpg which is quite good for 2.2 liters engine. Has good torque as well. Thats what matters at the end for those cars.
I dont expect the US one to have lower mpgs and if it does it would not make any sense to buy it at all.

Diesels are also great for pulling large loads without having as large of an impact on mileage. Gas Turbos would take a much bigger hit.

What has this comment got to do with anything? Mercedes Benz don*t have anything that is availble for 30k in this segment.

Maybe not an SUV for 30k, but the point being the lux brands are bringing out lower price cars while this diesel drops with a ridiculous starting price. MB GLC, Audie Q3, Infiniti q50, Lexus NX for example start below the price of a diesel cx5, and all with a 200+ hp engine.

Maybe not an SUV for 30k, but the point being the lux brands are bringing out lower price cars while this diesel drops with a ridiculous starting price. MB GLC, Audie Q3, Infiniti q50, Lexus NX for example start below the price of a diesel cx5, and all with a 200+ hp engine.

Even worse comparison now. The diesel model is also the top trim while the other models you list are entry levels with another 20k to match the diesel CX5.

Does the extra $5K get a factory standard trailer hitch, or that extra?

You*re being silly now.

Even worse comparison now. The diesel model is also the top trim while the other models you list are entry levels with another 20k to match the diesel CX5.

You*re being silly now.

Absolutely not.. some of those start in the mid 30's the GLC is the only 40k starter in there. Add the options you *want* you might not pay anymore than the CX-5 starting at 41k. Just because I'm forced to have lane assist or some other gimmick as part of the starter price doesn't mean I want it, and I would not pay extra for it.

As a member mentioned before,
since the engine is already developed, they are probably releasing it to recoup some of the R&D costs.

I was fantasizing over a diesel, for its significantly better fuel economy and awesome torque, but this one does not deliver better fuel economy at all and is sold only at the most expensive trim and with a large premium. It makes no sense at all.
I don't believe Mazda is going to recoup anything, first because it already sold enough of these elsewhere in the world and second because different skews cost more money to keep and maintain. For example, more training to mechanics, parts, logistics etc. It will not be economical to them if too few are sold.
Also, if G 2.5L and 2.5T exist in addition to an upcoming X, it would be too many choices for consumers if they also have a D.

Back